Page 7 of 30 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 17 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    one could argue that those who don't know what video conferencing is probably arent too into smartphones. Front facing camera IS a big deal these days. So is digital compass. So is 4G.
    The average consumer already isn't even into smartphones, considering the world population only 20% own a smartphone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    one could argue that those who don't know what video conferencing is probably aren't too into smartphones. Front facing camera IS a big deal these days. So is digital compass. So is 4G.
    That's right. The "average" person doesn't know what cellphone video conferencing is nor does the "average" person even own a smartphone. That's why it's not a make it or break it item right now.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Most people who don't care about video conferencing, don't care about front facing cameras, and they tune out the iPhone commercials, because it is more then they need/want.

HP's target is the "average user" not those of us who hang out on the P|C forums.

Sprint Pre- Meta-Doctor 2.1.0 w/Flash

Everything is Amazing & Nobody is Happy, "People with their mobile phones, "uh... oh... it won't..."... GIVE IT A SECOND... IT'S GOING TO SPACE!" Louis C.K.
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    You have a point there. Was it a form factor issue? Marketing issue (which we can all agree was a complete fail)? Combination of those two? Or perhaps something else?

We will soon see what HP can (or can't) make happen.
    Probably a little bit of both.....more so on the marketing. The BB Torch is essentially (from a hardware standpoint) an updated Palm Pre and they've had a pretty good marketing campaign. But even with a good marketing campaign, I think its going to be tough to sell the public on a form factor that hasn't really changed in the last 18 or so months.
    Without certain specs that have become the norm (dual cameras, playback format capability, screen sizes that will actually have developers excited once again about developing for Palm, no mention of 4G (or even LTE radios for that matter), etc) this phone seems to be a bone to those that are starving.

I'm assuming this is the phone that should have been released this past summer. This doesn't sound like a post-Palm/HP era phone design. This will no doubt again disappoint many (me included). I'm a Sprint user and if this is what I waited for (despite all the other hw spec'd phones available with their crappy Android OS) I'll have to rethink whether or not WebOS can hold me over AGAIN.

My fondest wish is that this is what I mentioned earlier, the phone that was supposed to be released this past summer and that the real phone has still not been leaked.

HP muscle or not, developers will not care whether or not who is pushing it. They'll only care if the device is worth their time. This already doesn't inspire confidence but hopefully this is just one of the several phones that HP will release.

Hopefully, the real spec sheet still has details that have not been revealed.

This minor spec bump is disappointing to me.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Global Posts
    518 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by susanoo26 View Post
    Probably a little bit of both.....more so on the marketing. The BB Torch is essentially (from a hardware standpoint) an updated Palm Pre and they've had a pretty good marketing campaign. But even with a good marketing campaign, I think its going to be tough to sell the public on a form factor that hasn't really changed in the last 18 or so months.
    When has the iPhones form factor changed??
    Ħ╬čųβΔ
    Sent from my HTC Evo 4G
    on a side note, with all the pictures and the actual device SFR posted, notice how the bottom menu is different?

If you look at webOS 2.0 leaked photos, and compare it with the photo of the Pre Plus on SFR, it's the old 1.x menu button which includes the messaging app on it, or at least that's what I remember when I got my device
    Quote Originally Posted by kjb86 View Post
    on a side note, with all the pictures and the actual device SFR posted, notice how the bottom menu is different?

If you look at webOS 2.0 leaked photos, and compare it with the photo of the Pre Plus on SFR, it's the old 1.x menu button which includes the messaging app on it, or at least that's what I remember when I got my device
    All those screens will be simulated images so don't draw to much from them.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    That's right. The "average" person doesn't know what cellphone video conferencing is nor does the "average" person even own a smartphone. That's why it's not a make it or break it item right now.
    I think it is rapidly approaching the make it or break it time frame. I think one large reason a lot of people currently don't rock smartphones is because of the cost associated with them. It is getting to the point where you can get a fairly decent smartphone for free/under $100. Factor in decently priced plans (1500 shared or simply everything on sprint), and I think there will be a huge increase in smartphone users over the next 6-18 months.
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    For those of us "Phone Geeks" who frequent this and other phone news sites, the changes to the Pre seem very positive. However, the typical consumer will see the same basic phone. They will not see the treasures that might lie within. They will see the same device they saw 2 years ago. It's not the new and sexy girl/boy friend, it's the same wife/husband you've had for the last 20 years. This is the same issue that drove Palm into the dirt; incremental changes that you have to wait too long to see.

Let's hope there are more devices just around the corner.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    I'm mostly excited about webOS 2.0. I think I'll be happy with my Sprint Pre overclocked with 2.0 on it until the next major hardware refresh. The additions to the OS are more important than the hardware, IMHO.
    Last edited by dreznicek; 10/11/2010 at 04:17 PM.
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by H-Cubed View Post
    When has the iPhones form factor changed??
    You have to remember the iphone was a REVOLUTIONARY device that completely changed the way cell phones are designed and operated. Look at the way phones changed overnight after the iphone came out. When you have something that revolutionary you can get away with minor spec bumps. As we all know, the Pre (nor any other phone I can think of) has ever been on the level of the iphone.
    Quote Originally Posted by fwinst View Post
    For those of us "Phone Geeks" who frequent this and other phone news sites, the changes to the Pre seem very positive. However, the typical consumer will see the same basic phone. They will not see the treasures that might lie within. They will see the same device they saw 2 years ago. It's not the new and sexy girl/boy friend, it's the same wife/husband you've had for the last 20 years. This is the same issue that drove Palm into the dirt; incremental changes that you have to wait too long to see.

Unfortunately, you do have a point.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Global Posts
    518 Global Posts

Point well taken sir! Maybe they should survey some P|C users for some advise!
    I volunteer my services!
    Ħ╬čųβΔ
    Sent from my HTC Evo 4G
    All those screens will be simulated images so don't draw to much from them.
    But you'd think if it was the actual device, it would have the webOS 2.0 features cooked into it.

It doesn't even have the just type feature at the top of the screen

But alas, thanks.. it could be just what it is.
    so is the processor running at max potential or will it possibly have the ability to be overclocked?
    ...However, the typical consumer will see the same basic phone.....They will see the same device they saw 2 years ago.
    I'm willing to bet the "average" consumer will not even recall webOS/Palm/Pre at all. Zero recall, mostly becasue they never even saw it the first time.

HP has a chance to basically relaunch the Pre/webOS again.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Global Posts
    518 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by susanoo26 View Post
    You have to remember the iphone was a REVOLUTIONARY device that completely changed the way cell phones are designed and operated. Look at the way phones changed overnight after the iphone came out. When you have something that revolutionary you can get away with minor spec bumps. As we all know, the Pre (nor any other phone I can think of) has ever been on the level of the iphone.
    I know but I for one believe that if the hardware issues are taken care of WebOS will truly shine thru...
    Ħ╬čųβΔ
    Sent from my HTC Evo 4G
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    I'm willing to bet the "average" consumer will not even recall webOS/Palm/Pre at all. Zero recall, mostly becasue they never even saw it the first time.

HP has a chance to basically relaunch the Pre again.
    But they won't. They will wait until their big unveiling next year to put any effort into nabbing those users that dont have a clue what a WebOS is.
    "I will go in this way, but I'll find my own way out." -DMB

Dear Lord,
    Please grant me the ability to punch people in the face over standard TCP/IP.
    Amen.
    Global Posts
    518 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by omahawildcat View Post
    so is the processor running at max potential or will it possibly have the ability to be overclocked?
    Not sure yet
    Ħ╬čųβΔ
    Sent from my HTC Evo 4G
Page 7 of 30 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 17 ... LastLast