Page 6 of 30 FirstFirst 123456789101116 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    I just don't see the "epic fail" that you see.

If we think positive (details are still forming)....twice the RAM (for us launch device folks), twice the clock cycles, twice the battery life (CPU anyway), glass screen, better build quality, hardware keyboard and webOS 2.0.

This sounds like the makings of a great smart phone. It's true the screen isn't as big as the Droid X but there is a very large market for people who are looking for a phone that is iPhone sized or smaller (I don't want a slate in my pocket).

It's mostly the phone/tech nerds that are looking for the very latest in specs. For the vast majority of the public they just need it to do what they need it to do....and that this phone will do.

You make good points.

I guess I'm a little disappointed at the lack of rigor in innovation that went into this Pre2. It can be argued that the first Pre wasn't that big of a success so why only a refresh. Like I said earlier, I've seen some pretty phenomenal work by some of the people here on PlC.

If we think positive (details are still forming)....twice the RAM (for us launch device folks), twice the clock cycles, twice the battery life (CPU anyway), glass screen, better build quality, hardware keyboard and webOS 2.0.

This sounds like the makings of a great smart phone. It's true the screen isn't as big as the Droid X but there is a very large market for people who are looking for a phone that is iPhone sized or smaller (I don't want a slate in my pocket).

It's mostly the phone/tech nerds that are looking for the very latest in specs. For the vast majority of the public they just need it to do what they need it to do....and that this phone will do.
    How is any of this different than the current lineup, tho? You think the App Catalog is under 5,000 apps because of battery life? That HP is essentially paying people to sign contracts because of the out-of-the-box clock speed? That WebOS 2.0 is so different than WebOS 1.4.5 that people will completely re-evaluate it?

Of course, the vast majority of the public "just need it to do what they need it to do"....but based on the current state of the SDK, app development, sales, mindshare, and marketshare....well, it aint doing it.

I just don't see a refined Pre changing that.
    Global Posts
    518 Global Posts
    I dont see how this is a dated form factor... how long as Apple held onto the same design?? With some build quality improvements I dont see keeping the same form factor for the Pre being a issue...
    Ħ╬čųβΔ
    Sent from my HTC Evo 4G

+1

Can anyone point to a better looking phone than the Pre/Plus? I don't think it's even close. Improved hardware and a bump in specs is great I think. The problem with having such a grand spec list is that you end up carrying around a phone the size of a TI-83 calculator. Tell me one thing that the AVERAGE person needs a smartphone to do that the Pre/Plus can't do as it is right now?
    hopefully this is one of several form factors. THis one to satisfy the keyboard folks and those who love the Pre form factor (myself included).

Hopefully the palm "mansion" is more a 4" keyboardless phone and let's hope there many more to come.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I just don't see a refined Pre changing that.
    It won't, by itself. It's part of a much larger family of webOS products to come in the next year. Including: more phones, a slate/pad/tablet and printers.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LateNiteWithJme View Post
    I know I shouldn't feed the trolls, but did it ever occur to you some people enjoy the Pre's current form factor and are excited by more sturdy and snappier hardware? Count me in with the "Palmsheep" excited for this.

Peace.
    you're right, the "Palmsheep" comment was a little trollish. lol.

I do think some people enjoyed the Pre's current form factor, but not enough to warrant this refresh Palm is releasing. Its not like Pres were flying off the shelves and keeping the doors open at Palm.
    Quote Originally Posted by susanoo26 View Post
    you're right, the "Palmsheep" comment was a little trollish. lol.

I do think some people enjoyed the Pre's current form factor, but not enough to warrant this refresh Palm is releasing. Its not like Pres were flying off the shelves and keeping the doors open at Palm.
    But do you think that was a failure of the hardware/software or a failure due to poor advertising. A good ad complain could sell snow to an Eskimo.

no offense meant to any Eskimos in the crowd.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sprint Pre- Meta-Doctor 2.1.0 w/Flash

Everything is Amazing & Nobody is Happy, "People with their mobile phones, "uh... oh... it won't..."... GIVE IT A SECOND... IT'S GOING TO SPACE!" Louis C.K.
    Quote Originally Posted by susanoo26 View Post
    You have a point there. Was it a form factor issue? Marketing issue (which we can all agree was a complete fail)? Combination of those two? Or perhaps something else?

We will soon see what HP can (or can't) make happen.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    "Tell me one thing that the AVERAGE person needs a smartphone to do that the Pre/Plus can't do as it is right now? "

videoconference -- it's actually a big deal
    Global Posts
    518 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Butters3605 View Post
    no offense meant to any Eskimos in the crowd.
    First off... HAHAHAHA

2nd I say a hardware failure... I dont know how may times I have walked into a Sprint store with my Pre and heard the Sales people complain about how many returns they have had against it....

I think the negative hardware reviews worked against the little or lack of marketing thereof... wether it be word of mouth or paid advertisement.
    Ħ╬čųβΔ
    Sent from my HTC Evo 4G
    I think we can pretty much nail the failure of the Pre/Plus launches on poor marketing. Palm didn't have muscle to make carriers push them over Android phones. With HPs muscle behind the company now, hopefully that can change.
    Quote Originally Posted by boerner View Post
    To the average person? A big deal?

If you asked my wife, my dad, my grandfather, my neighbor "Video conferencing on your mobile phone; big deal?" You'd get blank stares of confusion.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    My parents can hardly figure out how to use their remote/DVR. Give them a video phone?? Exactly, blank stares.

Growing up my father used a "Palmspring", and my mother doesn't understand what the big deal is over "twit-face".

Everything is Amazing & Nobody is Happy, "People with their mobile phones, "uh... oh... it won't..."... GIVE IT A SECOND... IT'S GOING TO SPACE!" Louis C.K.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Now I just have to worry about sprint getting this.......bring it!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by boerner View Post
    Maybe Palm should make it so easy a caveman could do it.?

Global Posts
    518 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bdog421 View Post
    Now I just have to worry about sprint getting this.......bring it!!!
    I should hope so! I plan on keeping my original Pre anyways but if this comes to Sprint my OG Pre will become a Pre Touche' if you will...lol
    Ħ╬čųβΔ
    Sent from my HTC Evo 4G
    Outdated form factor? I'm not claiming the BB Torch is an amazing phone, but they just released the very same form factor. The Dell Lightning is looking to have a portrait slider, it that too already outdated? Look at how long the Treo form factor held on.

What other good portrait sliders are currently on the market? The Torch? HA. I dislike landscape keyboards because I have to change screen orientation to type anything with it, and I feel like I can't type as fast. I realize I'm a physical keyboard guy, but where else am I going to go right now for a portrait slider?

There could (or could not) be a lot of minor, but important, surprises (ie new camera, etc).

Phones like the epic/evo have still lack a few of the nice little features I've come to take for granted with my Pre. A physical mute button! The touchstone! I'm not saying I don't think the Evo/Epic are sexy and that I don't desire them, but a large amount of my issues come from hardware quality/speed.

If I can boot up in under 30 seconds, have autofocus, load google maps in under 10 seconds, and have a few apps utilize touchstone in a few new interesting ways, I'll be very happy.

If you asked my wife, my dad, my grandfather, my neighbor "Video conferencing on your mobile phone; big deal?" You'd get blank stares of confusion.
    one could argue that those who don't know what video conferencing is probably arent too into smartphones. Front facing camera IS a big deal these days. So is digital compass. So is 4G.

Have they seen any recent iphone ads or have they ever heard of skype? If no, they probably don't need a smart phone either. Right now, the average person doesn't need a smart phone at all.
    Last edited by boerner; 10/11/2010 at 03:54 PM. Reason: see above