Page 26 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1621222324252627282930 LastLast
Results 501 to 520 of 584
  1. #501  
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    If anything even the almighty Apple switched resolutions once in the 4 generations for their one and only model.

    Switching resolutions so often will only mean nightmare for developers.
    Okay, I will concede that most manufacturers don't change resolutions very often; however, I believe that the release of the iPhone 4 and, to a lesser extent, the EVO and Droid X-type devices, has forced a paradigm shift of smartphone display technology (among other things). Sharp, for instance, recently announced the IS03, a new Android phone with a display very similar in both size and resolution to the iPhone, albeit using ASV as opposed to IPS. Another reason to accept this shift is because eBook readers have experienced a surge in popularity recently and many of the more recently released phones have had some sort of software package to reflect that. Reading text on a display with a high pixel density is much better for the eyes and, to put it bluntly, makes text far easier to read from any distance. There is also the obvious benefit of making graphical assets look superb.

    My point is really that webOS is so flexible that there should be no reason Palm couldn't (or wouldn't) ditch the original Pre's display for something more - well - lust-worthy. A high-resolution/high-pixel-density display is the most obvious way to win over potential customers, I believe even more so than an excessively large screen with an average resolution. Palm could easily use their newfound parental powers to pressure a display manufacturer into crafting them a newer 3.1" or 3.5" panel to replace what they were going to use. Hell, I'm willing to bet that HP has enough pull to simply buy a display that would be almost identical to the iPhone 4's from LG Display.
  2. #502  
    Quote Originally Posted by H-Cubed View Post
    A spec bump plus a redisgned screen might not be a bad idea...

    I cant upgrade till March anyways because I gave my wife mine, so I kinda of have to be patient but if the "super device" does not hit Sprint before then I will definitely grab this one up!
    Hiya, I know what you mean about being patient, after all my contract, (2 year) on my Centro ends this week...I didn't even get a chance to upgrade to a pre..no more 2 year contracts 4 me. Take care, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
  3. #503  
    Quote Originally Posted by nbmatt View Post
    Okay, I will concede that most manufacturers don't change resolutions very often; however, I believe that the release of the iPhone 4 and, to a lesser extent, the EVO and Droid X-type devices, has forced a paradigm shift of smartphone display technology (among other things). Sharp, for instance, recently announced the IS03, a new Android phone with a display very similar in both size and resolution to the iPhone, albeit using ASV as opposed to IPS. Another reason to accept this shift is because eBook readers have experienced a surge in popularity recently and many of the more recently released phones have had some sort of software package to reflect that. Reading text on a display with a high pixel density is much better for the eyes and, to put it bluntly, makes text far easier to read from any distance. There is also the obvious benefit of making graphical assets look superb.

    My point is really that webOS is so flexible that there should be no reason Palm couldn't (or wouldn't) ditch the original Pre's display for something more - well - lust-worthy. A high-resolution/high-pixel-density display is the most obvious way to win over potential customers, I believe even more so than an excessively large screen with an average resolution. Palm could easily use their newfound parental powers to pressure a display manufacturer into crafting them a newer 3.1" or 3.5" panel to replace what they were going to use. Hell, I'm willing to bet that HP has enough pull to simply buy a display that would be almost identical to the iPhone 4's from LG Display.
    You're still not getting my point. I'm not saying Palm shouldn't release higher resolution devices, but I was arguing your point that "every new generation should release a new resolution". And my explanation which I put in both my replies, is that supporting all these resolutions would be nightmare. Yes, webOS can scale the SDK apps with ease, but not PDK apps.

    Of course Palm should cater the newer market. But just not necessarily with the Pre, and if anything as you were saying, they have the resources now to develop it on a new device. There are many of us who are perfectly fine with the form factor and size and do not want a larger device. As for your point about making a higher resolution 3.1" screen to fit the Pre, the display would become hard to read. There's a reason why you don't see a 10" netbook screen with a 1920x1080 resolution.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

    It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

    Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
  4. #504  
    Quote Originally Posted by bullonparade85 View Post
    Honestly if this came to verizon and i could get it for a good price with working aGPS. I'd rock it!
    +1

    Unfortunately, it doesn't seem that Palm gives a rip about it's current customer base.
  5. #505  
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    As for your point about making a higher resolution 3.1" screen to fit the Pre, the display would become hard to read. There's a reason why you don't see a 10" netbook screen with a 1920x1080 resolution.
    Actually, the reason they don't make 10" netbooks with 1080p display panels is because - as far as I am aware - no one makes that display yet. The smallest screen with that resolution I'm aware of is 13" on the Sony Vaio Z but I'm sure there is something somewhere that is putting it to shame.

    Regardless of availability, higher screen resolution does not make a display harder to read, especially when something as simple as font DPI can be modified to size more logically on a display with a high pixel density. There is also the case of resolution independence, where UI assets are composed of vector-type graphics rather than raster/bitmap so it can scale infinitely.
  6. #506  
    Quote Originally Posted by nbmatt View Post
    Actually, the reason they don't make 10" netbooks with 1080p display panels is because - as far as I am aware - no one makes that display yet. The smallest screen with that resolution I'm aware of is 13" on the Sony Vaio Z but I'm sure there is something somewhere that is putting it to shame.

    Regardless of availability, higher screen resolution does not make a display harder to read, especially when something as simple as font DPI can be modified to size more logically on a display with a high pixel density. There is also the case of resolution independence, where UI assets are composed of vector-type graphics rather than raster/bitmap so it can scale infinitely.
    HI,

    Thank you for the info. You are all getting over my head technically and I am glad that you very politely "dumbed it down". You wrote that in a matter that even I could understand!

    Thanks and take care,

    Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
  7. #507  
    So how many sprint day 1 users are getting this when it comes out state side?
  8. #508  
    Quote Originally Posted by m3grady2 View Post
    So how many sprint day 1 users are getting this when it comes out state side?
    If it was coming to sprint, I would be getting it. But a birdy told me launch is with verizon on the stateside. Btw that bird hasn't failed me yet. They usually mock me for not beliving them.
  9. #509  
    if it hits sprint b4 the yr is up and any other devices are announced I'll prolly get one used and save my upgrade for the nxt device....
  10. #510  
    Quote Originally Posted by m3grady2 View Post
    So how many sprint day 1 users are getting this when it comes out state side?
    I'll wait, my $150 off doesn't take effect until next April, so I have 6 months to wait and hope for the "Super Device."
    If it isn't out when my contract ends in June, I'll probably lean toward the Pre 2.
  11. #511  
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    +1

    Unfortunately, it doesn't seem that Palm gives a rip about it's current customer base.
    Yeah, it seems that way. That's why they keep releaing updates for existing devices - just to keep those new users that haven't bought yet happy.
  12. #512  
    Quote Originally Posted by Klownicle View Post
    If it was coming to sprint, I would be getting it. But a birdy told me launch is with verizon on the stateside. Btw that bird hasn't failed me yet. They usually mock me for not beliving them.
    Really that's interesting. I can hold out untill jan (ces) to see what High end hardware HPalm can come up with. But by that time there will be stiff competition from wm7 and android 3.0.
  13. #513  
    Quote Originally Posted by m3grady2 View Post
    Really that's interesting. I can hold out untill jan (ces) to see what High end hardware HPalm can come up with. But by that time there will be stiff competition from wm7 and android 3.0.
    Yeah, im thinking there is going to be alot of angry sprint palm followers who get shafted again. I would be one of them, but I wouldn't drop my webOS for it. It would just feel terrible that palm wouldn't be able to strike a deal with Sprint.
  14. #514  
    Quote Originally Posted by bullonparade85 View Post
    Honestly if this came to verizon and i could get it for a good price with working aGPS. I'd rock it!
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy
    +1

    Unfortunately, it doesn't seem that Palm gives a rip about it's current customer base.
    Again, this is a verizon issue. if you want working GPS, pay the extra $10, or switch to a carrier that doesn't mess with every device they get there hands on.

    Sprint Pre- Meta-Doctor 2.1.0 w/Flash

    Everything is Amazing & Nobody is Happy, "People with their mobile phones, "uh... oh... it won't..."... GIVE IT A SECOND... IT'S GOING TO SPACE!" Louis C.K.
  15. #515  
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    As for your point about making a higher resolution 3.1" screen to fit the Pre, the display would become hard to read. There's a reason why you don't see a 10" netbook screen with a 1920x1080 resolution.
    I'm sorry, but I completely disagree with this statement. It's true on computers that higher resolution makes everything smaller, but that's because windows doesn't scale everything to size. So if say a font it set at 12 pixels wide, a higher resolution means smaller pixels and smaller text. However on mobile they can make that scale so that instead of the text being smaller they adjust it to use more pixels so the size remains the same and it actually makes things much easier to read.

    If you get the chance head over to an at&t store ( or anystore that carries both iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS if your outside the us) and go to precrentral.com on the iPhone 4 and see if you can read the articles on the front page without zooming in or switching to landscape, just keep it at portrait zoomed all the way out. Then do the same on your pre. And if you think it's just screen size, then go to the iPhone 3GS and do the same. You will see how much clearer and more readable that smaller text is on the higher res display.

    And on a smaller screen like the pre's I think it's even more important they upgrade that resolution. I too love the pre's form factor and I like what I see of the pre 2, I just hope the screen resolution is on par with the iPhones.
    Last edited by fernandez21; 10/14/2010 at 02:05 PM.
    iPhone 4s 64gb for personal, at&t Prē 3 for business. Best of both worlds.
  16. #516  
    well said and thanks for sharing.

    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    dear potential palm pre 2 buyers.
    don't read too much into the negativity here.
    webOS is a beautiful platform, and it's gonna get exponentially better with version 2.0.
    HP, one of the, if not the biggest tech companies in the WORLD, has committed to it and has loads of money and talent working behind it.
    many of the disgruntled here are original palm pre owners that had suboptimal hardware, and have endured the majority of the bumps and bruises of the young WebOS platform. Notice that vzw and att users complain less because we have slightly better hardware and build quality...we complain mainly because of things that our wireless carrier has done (delayed updates, crippled gps, lack of nfl app, expensive plans, lack of webOS support by stores and customer service, terrible advertising,etc.)

    palm has listened. They are releasing upgraded hardware, comparable to other smartphones, with an upgraded, highly acclaimed OS, in the form of the palm pre 2.

    this will be followed by additional smartphoneS (notice the capital and plural S), with more form factors, not to mention other types of devices.

    this is an EXCITING time to be a palm fan, and all signs are pointing to things getting only better. By the beginning of 2011, we will have the palm pre 2, the pixi 2, a slate phone (? Palm mansion or roadrunner HD), and a webOS tablet.

    good times.

    to the doubters, critics, t-rolls, and pessimistic "experts", it just might be time for you to jump on to another platform. Not worth raising your blood pressure over.

    Now, how will I be able to upgrade early? Have some planning to do...cant wait!
  17. #517  
    I am optimistic about the pre2 and what is coming down the pipe from HP. Just watched the developer podcast and there is no desperation over developers or hardware. Ben & Dion are beaming with excitement for webOS and new form factors.

    Is it taking longer than we would like to get these things to market, sure. But I am confident that it will be worth the wait. I personally will be passing on the Pre2 if it comes to Sprint. I will be saving my hard earned dollars for the new WOW device, oh and the PalmPad.

    Sprint Pre- Meta-Doctor 2.1.0 w/Flash

    Everything is Amazing & Nobody is Happy, "People with their mobile phones, "uh... oh... it won't..."... GIVE IT A SECOND... IT'S GOING TO SPACE!" Louis C.K.
  18. #518  
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    HI,

    Thank you for the info. You are all getting over my head technically and I am glad that you very politely "dumbed it down". You wrote that in a matter that even I could understand!

    Thanks and take care,

    Jay
    If that's not sarcasm I don't know what is... :S

    I'm sorry?
  19. DCForever's Avatar
    Posts
    33 Posts
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    #519  
    So has anyone actually tried to contact SFR to find out what the deal is? Price, Specs, the whole shebang? I would, but I don't speak french.
  20. #520  
    Wow all this complianing and the only people who even have a shot at getting a Pre2 right now is the French. On the sfr site they are saying this is the Roadrunner. Well lets not forget about the Roadrunner HD. It could very well be a bigger pre. Here is an idea, for all of you who like your pre and think a refresh would be good then buy the pre2 if it comes to the states. If you don't like the pre2 then don't get it! Pretty amazing don't you think I mean being able to make a choice like that. Well I hope that solves your problems and if not oh well have a nice day any way.

Posting Permissions