Page 25 of 30 FirstFirst ... 152021222324252627282930 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mpfef View Post
    So that dude is under the impression that the Pre 2 won't be out until January.

Hmm.

--Matt
    actually, he stated "announced". Not released. Boo, if true.
    I see pandas.
    Quote Originally Posted by PrinceAlbert View Post
    I missed any info about Pre 2 having HD 720p video recording, as this blogger states as fact Palm Pre 2 will have HD video recording - Los Angeles Gadgets | Examiner.com

Anyone else see this info?
    Well thats good news, however (like most people have said) I am mostly disappointed with Palm not providing more screen real estate and resolution for the Palm Pre 2. I think I may have been more forgiving of its similar design to the Palm Pre if it had a bigger and better screen.

I know some people like the small factor but I sure don't. It would have been nice to see the Pre 2 with the same screen size and resolution as the EVO or Iphone. For those people who like small phones use the next gen pixi
    Clearly that guy is making assumptions based on what the screen resolution looked like in the leaked photos and the high-plausibility of 720p recording on any new phone. I honestly don't think Palm would release the Pre 2 with a screen of the same resolution as its predecesor. Really, I don't think any cell phone manufacturer would do that...
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I think you're partially right, but missed the overall picture.

I believe this phone will come to the US. I also believe it will be a replacement for the Pre - in other words, carriers will stop selling the Pre, and sell this model instead. Your Pre breaks under warranty, you get this model instead.

I also believe we will see a different model with newer hardware that has a totally different name.
    I disagree, I think you have it all wrong. There is no way palm/hp is going to give me a new phone with an upgraded hardware chip. There are so many palm pre units still left over, I will get stuck with the same phone unless I pay another 200-300 bucks which will not happen, especially with this phone.

I believe this is the new model (Precursor to the Pre, Palms flagship phone) with the supposed better hardware and software. While it is true palm may bring up other devices I don't believe it will happen for a while and their wont be anything better than the Pre 2 until the release of Pre 3. Just my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by nbmatt View Post
    Clearly that guy is making assumptions based on what the screen resolution looked like in the leaked photos and the high-plausibility of 720p recording on any new phone. I honestly don't think Palm would release the Pre 2 with a screen of the same resolution as its predecesor. Really, I don't think any cell phone manufacturer would do that...
    Why not? App compatiblity.

Nokia E series is 320x240 all the way.

Nokia E72-2 NAM Specs | Technical Specifications | PDAdb.net - Comprehensive Database of Smartphone, PDA, PDA Phone, PNA, netbook & Mobile Device Specifications
    Nokia E71-2 Specs | Technical Specifications | PDAdb.net - Comprehensive Database of Smartphone, PDA, PDA Phone, PNA, netbook & Mobile Device Specifications
    Nokia E75 Specs | Technical Specifications | PDAdb.net - Comprehensive Database of Smartphone, PDA, PDA Phone, PNA, netbook & Mobile Device Specifications
    Nokia E61i Specs | Technical Specifications | PDAdb.net - Comprehensive Database of Smartphone, PDA, PDA Phone, PNA, netbook & Mobile Device Specifications
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    I'm a sprint release day Pre owner/customer. If the cpu is the omap 36** series and webos 2.* is on it, I'll probably renew my sprint contract with that device with some disappointment. I wanted a 4" higher resolution screen with better ear speaker and noise cancelling multi microphones. I like the current form factor, but can adapt to a slate form factor as long as the on screen keyboard is relatively excellent to other products on the markrt.
    A few sites disagree...

Image: Is this the upcoming Palm Pre 2? | MobileSyrup.com

New Photos with Palm Pre 2 Emerge - Softpedia
    Motorola i710 > Motorola i760 > Samsung M520 > Palm Pre
    That family of Nokia phones are designed for a pretty specific business-oriented market and make up only a fraction of the phones Nokia produces. Do you think if Nokia only had one or two product families they wouldn't change something as obvious as screen resolution when they designed new versions?
    Okay, fair enough.

Nokia 5800i XpressMusic Specs | Technical Specifications | PDAdb.net - Comprehensive Database of Smartphone, PDA, PDA Phone, PNA, netbook & Mobile Device Specifications
    And their newest flagship:
    Nokia N8-00 (Nokia Vasco) Specs | Technical Specifications | PDAdb.net - Comprehensive Database of Smartphone, PDA, PDA Phone, PNA, netbook & Mobile Device Specifications

If anything even the almighty Apple switched resolutions once in the 4 generations for their one and only model.

Switching resolutions so often will only mean nightmare for developers.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Breaking news!!!! The Plam Pre2 shows up on a web site in FRANCE people FRANCE!!!! Lets at least wait for a US announcement before we jump to conclusions. Maybe just maybe we will see the roadrunner HD. If not well then I would say get upset.
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PrinceAlbert View Post
    actually, he stated "announced". Not released. Boo, if true.
    I think he is talking about the NEXT Pre. Sounds like he thinks the Pre 2 is basically announced & another phone will be announced in January. At least that's how I read it; otherwise, he would have said the Pre 2 will be officially announced or introduced in January.

I especially like what his HP source had to say about the webOS tablet:

“This thing is going to be a killer. It will be far more useful than any tablet out there,”
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    The Los Angeles Gadget guy agrees, I think, w/these articles. Though he says it will record in 720p, he says the screen resolution remains the same as before--consistent w/your articles.
    Quote Originally Posted by thecrazy88 View Post
    Breaking news!!!! The Plam Pre2 shows up on a web site in FRANCE people FRANCE!!!! Lets at least wait for a US announcement before we jump to conclusions. Maybe just maybe we will see the roadrunner HD. If not well then I would say get upset.
    I agree. If this is the phone that will make the "defectors" come back to WebOS, I say epic fail.
    It's such a shame, because the OS is above par, better than iOS or anusdroid.
    I was at a Sprint store trying out an Evo for fun, a worker asked me what I had, I said Pre, he said he was sorry and why did I have that when there is the Evo and Epic, I took it out and showed him how it could multitask and notifications and all that(he seemed quite surprised, "didn't know it could do that"), he basically said my thoughts after seeing that: he would get a Palm phone if it came in hardware like the Evo.
    Let's hope HPalm does release a new phone with some killer hardware. It would be a shame for WebOS to die from lack of it.
    Twitter: adamcarter
    There is a post some were and the poster explained the proses a company goes through to put out new products.( engineering, production, marketing ect....) and if HP puts out a number of products out in lets say April that would be 8 months that HP would have to put something together sense the merger and that is impressive by any standards. Apple released the Iphone4 and the Iphone5 was already in making. So they take over a year to produce a phone that pretty much is nothing but a spec bump of a phone, know what I mean? lets just hope for the best right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Retzius View Post
    Well thats good news, however (like most people have said) I am mostly disappointed with Palm not providing more screen real estate and resolution for the Palm Pre 2. I think I may have been more forgiving of its similar design to the Palm Pre if it had a bigger and better screen.

I know some people like the small factor but I sure don't. It would have been nice to see the Pre 2 with the same screen size and resolution as the EVO or Iphone. For those people who like small phones use the next gen pixi

There's a difference between using the same form factor and having a different model. This phone is based off the original Pre which doesn't have room for a much larger screen. Wait for the next phone for that.

iPhone 3G and 3GS have the same resolution. And a screen this small at 320x480 is pretty densely packed with pixels already.
    Maybe they want the fanfare of the tablet to boost everything else they release. Plus it may take time to ramp up production.

An pre2 US announcement would be nice though, especially as the cat is out of the bag.

Or maybe they want to copy MS and announce 10 things at once in front of a big crowd at CES?
    dear potential palm pre 2 buyers.
    don't read too much into the negativity here.
    webOS is a beautiful platform, and it's gonna get exponentially better with version 2.0.
    HP, one of the, if not the biggest tech companies in the WORLD, has committed to it and has loads of money and talent working behind it.
    many of the disgruntled here are original palm pre owners that had suboptimal hardware, and have endured the majority of the bumps and bruises of the young WebOS platform. Notice that vzw and att users complain less because we have slightly better hardware and build quality...we complain mainly because of things that our wireless carrier has done (delayed updates, crippled gps, lack of nfl app, expensive plans, lack of webOS support by stores and customer service, terrible advertising,etc.)

palm has listened. They are releasing upgraded hardware, comparable to other smartphones, with an upgraded, highly acclaimed OS, in the form of the palm pre 2.

this will be followed by additional smartphoneS (notice the capital and plural S), with more form factors, not to mention other types of devices.

this is an EXCITING time to be a palm fan, and all signs are pointing to things getting only better. By the beginning of 2011, we will have the palm pre 2, the pixi 2, a slate phone (? Palm mansion or roadrunner HD), and a webOS tablet.

good times.

to the doubters, critics, t-rolls, and pessimistic "experts", it just might be time for you to jump on to another platform. Not worth raising your blood pressure over.

Now, how will I be able to upgrade early? Have some planning to do...cant wait!
    A couple statements:

1) Don't think of this as a replacement phone. It's a refresh. It means that people who are already interested in WebOS and looking for a new phone get something nicer, at no additional cost. If they really liked WebOS, love the form factor and size, don't mind the keyboard -- but sorry, it's just way too laggy ... well, the Pre 2's 1ghz processor plus WebOS 2.0 should fix that. It makes the Pre just that much more of a viable choice for interested customers.

For us on Precentral, it doesn't seem like a big deal, especially for people who overclock to 1ghz already. This probably isn't the phone for you.

2) Specs aren't everything. In particular, bigger isn't always better. People here seem to treat the 3.1" screen as if it were some kind of deformity or freak of nature, against the natural order of things. Well, the Pixi has an even smaller screen and plenty of people seem to dig it because they like the small size and form factor. It's not like Palm is using a small screen to scrimp on costs or anything -- it's just the way the Pre was designed. If the Pre 2 had a much bigger screen and took away the slider keyboard, it wouldn't really be the "Pre" as we know it.

That said, it's be great if there was another WebOS phone with a larger screen to choose from. The WebOS product family has room to grow, but it's not going to happen overnight. There's also plenty of specs which could *always* be better, like having a compass would be nice, but you know, not having a compass or a MicroSD slot or a 1920x1080 "electron microscope" display (Get it? It's a dig on "retina display" ) is not always the most important feature for everyone, 'cuz there's no phone that has all of the above.
    Honestly if this came to verizon and i could get it for a good price with working aGPS. I'd rock it!
    Global Posts
    412 Global Posts
    I'm excited that there will be *something* new, but I guess I was hoping for something a little bit further from the original Pre. Although, now that I think about it, I'm not sure why. If this new Pre is built better, but has the same design, that would be great. I like the build of the original Pre, but the build quality is terrible. (Can you hear Cleveland Brown saying that? Haha!)

I'm excited for a new, tougher build and faster processing.

I wonder when it's coming out!
    What if this whole crusade's a charade? -Trent Reznor