Page 21 of 30 FirstFirst ... 111617181920212223242526 ... LastLast
  1. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,427 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Has to be. If HP/Palm had a keynote at CES to announce this as the new flagship, it would be instant game over, IMHO.

Something else is coming to the US, at the very least. Just have to see what.
    I really can't see the next flagship being Pre shaped, regardless of the internal specs, all the world would see is that phone they rejected previously - you can talk Ghz and resolution until you go blue in the face and most people will have no idea what you are on about.

My guess is that it's going to be without a keyboard or two devices, one with keyboard (Pro) and one without (em.. not-pro).
  2. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,427 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    me personally at this point Webos is still at a standstill, though no announcments yet. If this is what they plan to release for this fall to showcase webos 2.0 its risky, but if this is all that they could get out in this time frame then OK. To me I'll be waiting to see early next year of what the other new devices will be looking like, and the tablet. If they look, and perform like super devices, then I'll expect a comeback for Webos. For now though I agree with Mikah until they atleast showcase and release not only devices people want, but apply things to these devices that are of this age with WP7 now in place to make a surge it will be very hard for Webos to emerge.
    That's the crux for me, I like WebOS but I've rejected the form factor - I need a landscape slider, other people want touch screen only.
    Quote Originally Posted by gregcolon3 View Post
    For everyone complaining about the complainers and whiners. The major consensus outside of precentral is that its a complete fail. Not too many good comments out there.

I truly believe this is not coming to the us and for outside the us it may not be bad idea. Seems like a pre merger device. HP must have changed the roadmap for the us.
    If this new phone is supposed to be the next great webOS phone, then I agree, Palm screwed up.

However, it seems that this is just a refresh of the Pre with a nice bump in specs (and hopefully hardware quality). I believe HP is going to announce more form factors at CES though. There have been numerous leaks(or rumors) of other webOS phones with different form factors. I'm looking forward to the supposed Palm Mansion device.
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
    Yeah guys, this is the Roadrunner, but there is a Roadrunner HD out there. My guess is it is the same design as the Pre 2 but slightly larger to accommodate the larger screen. This is just the first phone Palm has unveiled. There are more coming and my guess is the Roadrunner HD is next. Maybe the crying will stop then. Man there are a lot of whiners in here. Get a grip people. Go get another phone if you don't like the Pre 2.

And if Palm is angering you so much why don't you head on over to a forum for a phone you do like. There are plenty out there. We don't need the negativity around here. It has gotten so bad over the past 6 months.

As far as the Pre 2 goes, I like the rubberized plastic all around the phone. I like the flat screen and the keyboard looks like it has a bit more room between the top row of keys and the bottom of the slider. The keys themselves look a bit more raised so they should have a closer feel to the Pixi keyboard which we all know is great.

Screw the Blackberry keyboards I love the rubberized clicky Palm keyboards. I liked them on my Centro, I like them on my wife's Pixi, and I like them on my AT&T Pre Plus. Have you tried the Torch keyboard? The hard plastic keys have little feedback and have no spacing between them. I feel the Pre Plus keyboard is a lot better. But to each their own I guess.
    Last edited by ryleyinstl; 10/12/2010 at 03:10 PM. Reason: LANGUAGE
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    hearing the post I never thought about that either. Maybe this phone (or this version of this phone) is not destined for US shores. hopefully it isnt, and HP sees even if they want to released the Pre design here in the US, it needs to be a RoadrunnerHD. So lets wait to hear hopefully something soon about what the US will be getting.
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    Yeah guys, this is the Roadrunner, but there is a Roadrunner HD out there. My guess is it is the same design as the Pre 2 but slightly larger to accommodate the larger screen. This is just the first phone Palm has unveiled. There are more coming and my guess is the Roadrunner HD is next. Maybe the crying will stop then. Man there are a lot of whiners in here. Get a grip people. Go get another phone if you don't like the Pre 2.

And if Palm is angering you so much why don't you head on over to a forum for a phone you do like. There are plenty out there. We don't need the negativity around here. It has gotten so bad over the past 6 months.

As far as the Pre 2 goes, I like the rubberized plastic all around the phone. I like the flat screen and the keyboard looks like it has a bit more room between the top row of keys and the bottom of the slider. The keys themselves look a bit more raised so they should have a closer feel to the Pixi keyboard which we all know is great.

Screw the Blackberry keyboards I love the rubberized clicky Palm keyboards. I liked them on my Centro, I like them on my wife's Pixi, and I like them on my AT&T Pre Plus. Have you tried the Torch keyboard? The hard plastic keys have little feedback and have no spacing between them. I feel the Pre Plus keyboard is a lot better. But to each their own I guess.
    Palm didn't, SFR did. And probably unauthorized.

But you know what, more leaks the better.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Anyhow, we know it has 512MB ram like the Pre Plus, but now it has 1GHz CPU....How much storage RAM does the Pre 2 have?
    I'm just happy to see SOMEthing solid. This is much better than vague rumors from Sprint employees.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    So how many people will be waiting to do a COM board swap with this device?

Sprint Pre- Meta-Doctor 2.1.0 w/Flash

Everything is Amazing & Nobody is Happy, "People with their mobile phones, "uh... oh... it won't..."... GIVE IT A SECOND... IT'S GOING TO SPACE!" Louis C.K.
    According to sprint, the launch of the pre was "dissapointing". That dissapointing launch occurred when mindshare and excitement for palm was nearly at its peak and the pre specs were cutting edge at the time. Fastforward a year+ when the tech community and general public have nearly zero interest in palm or webOS (see every survey or stats available) and a pre 2 is being released with specs that don't lead the pack. The spec bump is "me too". The overall experience as fast as it will be will probably bring parity with other devices. This creates a perfect storm for a complete sales disaster. These are going to sell in volumes far less than the original pre... Unless they give them away.
    Quote Originally Posted by Butters3605 View Post
    So how many people will be waiting to do a COM board swap with this device?
    Not I...it's the improved (hopefully) bezel that I'm after the most. My continually cracking phone is ready to die unfortunately.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    Not I...it's the improved (hopefully) bezel that I'm after the most. My continually cracking phone is ready to die unfortunately.
    I guess I should clarify my last post, swap their Sprint COM board into this new hardware improvement.

Sprint Pre- Meta-Doctor 2.1.0 w/Flash

Everything is Amazing & Nobody is Happy, "People with their mobile phones, "uh... oh... it won't..."... GIVE IT A SECOND... IT'S GOING TO SPACE!" Louis C.K.
    It is kind of funny the amount of whining in here lately. I agree with others if you don't like the pre2 you have a few choices.
    1. Do something about it and get a different phone.
    2. Wait for a new device to be leaked or officially released (All we've seen so far are leaks)
    3. Whine that this phone is not good and people aren't leaking info on other devices we know are comming and continue to fill the forum with complaints related to leaked info.

Sure some people want a larger screen device. Sure it should come with higher resolution. Sure it should have a better camera. Sure ...

The fact is that this is not the end of the Roadmap. It may be the end of the premerger roadmap but there will be new devices. If you don't think so move on.

Also why shouldn't the US get this phone? Are we all so larger that we all have bigger pants that demand larger devices and fatter fingers that can't operate the keys/screen on a Pre? Maybe Europeans are just smaller and can operate the keys/screen? Maybe their thinner too and don't wear baggy clothing so they have less room for huge slabs?

/sarcasm

Personally I'll be happy if Sprint gets the Pre2 without 4G so I can have a great smart phone and save some money on contract.
    For those that don't want this you have options.
    Last edited by rich_halvorson; 10/12/2010 at 04:30 PM.
    You can't honestly say that this is going to sell well.
    I say the whiners whining about the whiners are way more annoying than the original whiners. It seems like a lot of info is coming out right now and people are participating in the discussion re: that info. I doubt many people were anxiously awaiting a bargain handset with mildly upgraded specs, so some criticism is warranted.
    I completely agree. I am a huge palm phanboy...but that doesn't mean I can't complain about an underwhelming new model when I could have had a new phone in June and then been eligible again next June when new Palm flagship devices show up. So yeah many of us very legitimate reasons to complain.
    Quote Originally Posted by boerner View Post
    I say the whiners whining about the whiners are way more annoying than the original whiners. It seems like a lot of info is coming out right now and people are participating in the discussion re: that info. I doubt many people were anxiously awaiting a bargain handset with mildly upgraded specs, so some criticism is warranted.
    I can't imagine the "Pre 2" in it's current leaked form selling well on at least U.S. carriers, or grabbing any mindshare. As such, I'd actually be a little surprised if U.S. carriers even bothered to carry this. They've already been sitting on a lot of Pre's and Pre Plusses that didn't sell. I'm not trying to bash this device. Just trying to be realistic. Look at the current market for hot smartphones. They all have 3.5" or bigger screens. I understand why a lot of people don't want a big phone like the EVO or Droid X, but at the moment the market is speaking otherwise.

IMHO Palm/HP would do well to skip or at least hold out on releasing this refresh until they have their larger screen devices in order. Then do a big global launch the likes of the Samsung Galaxy S launch, but with something to please all kinds of users. And who knows, perhaps this is exactly what they are planning and all of us are jumping the gun in assuming that this refresh device will be released on it's own.
    Quote Originally Posted by alan7467 View Post
    I can't imagine the "Pre 2" in it's current leaked form selling well on at least U.S. carriers, or grabbing any mindshare. As such, I'd actually be a little surprised if U.S. carriers even bothered to carry this. They've already been sitting on a lot of Pre's and Pre Plusses that didn't sell. I'm not trying to bash this device. Just trying to be realistic. Look at the current market for hot smartphones. They all have 3.5" or bigger screens. I understand why a lot of people don't want a big phone like the EVO or Droid X, but at the moment the market is speaking otherwise.

IMHO Palm/HP would do well to skip or at least hold out on releasing this refresh until they have their larger screen devices in order. Then do a big global launch the likes of the Samsung Galaxy S launch, but with something to please all kinds of users. And who knows, perhaps this is exactly what they are planning and all of us are jumping the gun in assuming that this refresh device will be released on it's own.
    My question is, what makes anyone think this will sell well in Europe where the mobile market is even more competitive than here in the U.S.?
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    My question is, what makes anyone think this will sell well in Europe where the mobile market is even more competitive than here in the U.S.?
    I agree, and suspect that it won't/wouldn't. However, I didn't want to speculate since... well, I don't live in Europe
    Quote Originally Posted by alan7467 View Post
    I agree, and suspect that it won't/wouldn't. However, I didn't want to speculate since... well, I don't live in Europe
    Well, you have Nokia which is the largest player then you have the iPhone which is also a very large presence and now Android is making its way into Europe.

webOS ... may be a little too late to play catch up. At least IMO. A better chance at scoring with a tablet and their approach to printers and other unified devices. The mobile market is a brutal place and you will be eaten alive.

For those that claim "there's room for others other than Apple, Google, etc." … that may be true, but the numbers don't lie. Some are even claiming that WP7 stands very little chance at being as successful as the iPhone and Android even though it's considered a promising platform.

An ecosystem, mindshare and momentum means everything and right now Apple and Google has all three. Just my take on things, hopefully I'm wrong.