Page 15 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5101112131415161718192025 ... LastLast
    some of us do not care about a front facing camera or a 4" screen. what i would like to see is a micro sd expansion slot added.
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    That's because video chat was a boring gimmick then.

Now it's a revolutionary innovation backed by Apple - the future of communication as we know it, in fact.
    You're not serious.
    Yes I would gladly give up the front facing camera for a microsd slot, which I seriously doubt we will see on this form factor. I would also trade a front camera for a 5MP autofocus camera on the back, or a relocated microphone so I don't cover it with my cheek, or an optical mouse or 5 way navigator. Heck I would trade the front camera for flash support in the browser, or the ability to play more common media files.
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    it's funny how people are referring to the pre's form factor as dated...if you hadn't noticed, portrait sliders are becoming more popular...
    The form factor isn't dated. But the current chassis is, in mobile terms. While this refresh makes the Pre current, anything revolutionary is going to require an all new phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    Uh, not quite. How about the Pre2 being "on par" with TEN (10) WP7 phones that are about 12 hours old??
    Sorry, but a 1ghz Pre with the current WebOS is nowhere near "on par" with the responsiveness, mapping speed, and general load and boot times of Windows Phone 7 1.0. It just aint.

That and the FACT that we have MORE devs on board now than ever AND, we ADDED (+) 200,000 users last quarter WITHOUT any new phones or adverts. Really think people won't by a NEW webOS phone when they are STILL buying the "old crappy one"??
    First, I'm not sure if you have noticed, but app momentum is at a crawl. That's really the only "dev" metric that matters. We're at less than 5,000 apps after almost 17 months on the market. Windows Phone 7 is launching with big name apps we're still missing. By 17 months after launch, Android was at 30,000 apps, and this was in the midst of multiple OS versions and fragmentation.

Second, no one knows what the sellthrough or current users numbers actually are. All we have are "marketshare" estimates. Finally, HP is, and has been for some time, paying people with gift cards to sign up for contracts. Verizon gave them away with a free hotspot. The price for the Pre and Pixi have plummeted across every carrier. These are not the conditions you want to move your flagship handset under.
    When comparing Android to webOS, you have to consider also the sheet number of Android devices on the market. Yes the app store has only 5000 apps, but there is only one manufacturer with webOS phones.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Sorry, but a 1ghz Pre with the current WebOS is nowhere near "on par" with the responsiveness, mapping speed, and general load and boot times of Windows Phone 7 1.0. It just aint.
    Sorry, but you don't have a 1Ghz pre2 and you don't have 2.0 on your pre2. You just aints gots it btw I'm sure copy and paste is way better than on the pre tho
    I don't think 1ghz matters. It's the:

"No front facing camera
    no 4g
    512mb ram
    no dual core
    same sized screen
    same sized keyboard
    same sized battery
    no hdmi port
    no improved camera"

that Greg pointed out along with :

- No Flash
    - No Sirius/XM
    - No Netflix
    - No Shazam
    - No voice functionality
    - No developer momentum at all, really
    - No guarantees of WebOS 2.0 fixing a lot of the issues people have with WebOS 1.01 - 1.4.5.1
    This post has caused a TMT (Too Many Times) error on my mind...

People tends to combine hardware and OS complains (absolutely legit) with 3rd party software complains (not legit). I'll try to answer you:

No front facing camera
    no 4g
    512mb ram
    no dual core
    same sized screen
    same sized keyboard
    same sized battery
    no hdmi port
    no improved camera

True, it hasn't (or this seems) front facing camera.

About 4G, you don't know if the CDMA version will be 4G (we only know about the GSM version), althought every rummour out there tells us that will be... but it's better to take the negative point always.

512 Mb RAM, anyone knows the RAM ammount of the yesterday announced WP7 superphones?

No dualcore: where are the dualcore phones?

Same sized screen and same sized keyboard, and that's bad because... ??

same sized battery, if the phone is almost equal in sizes, the battery must be exactly the same.

No HDMI port... and where you put it in a 3.1 inch device?

No improved camera, as you can see in the specs that Palm hasn't announced yet...

Palm is going to release a Pre's substitute, and as a Pre's substitute, it has to be an evolution of the Pre, not a completely different phone. If you want a 4" device, obviously Palm isn't talking to you with this phone, but hey, don't forbid to others to have an a update of a phone that they like as it is. We tend to think always based on our preferences, but we should stop a bit before complaining, and ask us if our preferences are the entire world preferences.

About software:

Again, mixing Palm's responsability with 3rd party responsabilities:

- No Flash: I don't know what's the reason of this, and I don't know if Palm has decided to not release it waiting for a webOS 2 announcement, but the fact is that there isn't flash, and people has complained about this since 2005 at least on every platform. Just a few weeks ago, flash has been released on Android, and it's performance has been proved that is far away from being a deal breaker. I don't care waiting, or not.

- No Sirius/XM, Netflix: This is not the place for complainind about this. They're private companies that decide what to support, and the more people is complaining here the more futile is and the more boring and uninterested in your position the people gets. If you want complain, complain to Sirius, Netflix and others, that's the place to do it! Ask for your rights, move! Why not get all the Netfilx webOS users joined and try force Netflix to do the webOS app? Not, it's better to come here and complain on each post about it's absence, as if everyone here or Palm were guilty of it. I think there isn't technical reasons to no do it on webOS better and faster than other platforms.

- No voice functionality: they're aware, they have said. That means they're working on it, but obviously they can't say this explicitly. Believe it or not, webOS it's a truly revolutionary OS that rethinks the entire meaning of OS. And that means some pros and some cons. Sometimes, the designer team needs to take wrong design decissions because technology available isn't ready yet. That's the reason because webOS 1.x uses Java, and webOS 2.x will use NodeJS. The same happens with voice support, I think.

- No Shazaam: Without voice support, it's impossible to get this app. In the future, with voice support, if Shazaam doesn't releases it, what are you going to do? Come here to complain to Palm because others don't do it? If your neighbor does not care for your his yard, your street looks worse, but it's not your fault, right?

- No developer momentum at all, really. And that's Palm's fault because...?

- No guarantees of WebOS 2.0 fixing a lot of the issues people have with WebOS 1.01 - 1.4.5.1: And also no guarantees of webOS 10.0 fixing any future issues also...
    Newness Developments apps:

Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    That's not a fair statement. 1GHz 3430 != 1GHz 3630. Have you personally seen webOS running on a newer processor for this comparison?

First, I'm not sure if you have noticed, but app momentum is at a crawl. That's really the only "dev" metric that matters. We're at less than 5,000 apps after almost 17 months on the market. Windows Phone 7 is launching with big name apps we're still missing. By 17 months after launch, Android was at 30,000 apps, and this was in the midst of multiple OS versions and fragmentation.
    I agree but I think we'll see the numbers pickup when:
    • webOS 2.0 goes live. The SDK is being greatly expanded to provide more needed API's to devs. This is probably the most limiting factor right now for a lot of quality apps to be released.
    • New hardware (multiple form factors) are released. There are a lot of devs that are probably holding off just because they feel nobody wants a gen 1 pre anymore (for good reason). When Palm/HP finally finally release devices people want, devs and quality apps will follow. Look, I don't think we'll ever catch up in the numbers game but that's ok with me.
    Quote Originally Posted by vasekvi View Post
    When comparing Android to webOS, you have to consider also the sheet number of Android devices on the market. Yes the app store has only 5000 apps, but there is only one manufacturer with webOS phones.
    So, why does iOS lead the recent app market? 3 devices.
    Quote Originally Posted by bdog421 View Post
    Sorry, but you don't have a 1Ghz pre2 and you don't have 2.0 on your pre2. You just aints gots it btw I'm sure copy and paste is way better than on the pre tho
    LOL. When someone says the Pre 2 will be on par or that an overclocked Pre IS on par with 1 ghz phones, you are nowhere to be found. When they say it isn't, you can't respond fast enough.

Too bad, you didn't bother to read what I wrote as I said a "1ghz Pre with the current WebOS."
    Ok, so this unavailable yet OS is better than the unavailable webOS 2.0 in responsiveness...

And this includes themes, backgrounds and thousands of opensource clones of apps with few differences... really a big deal.

So, why does iOS lead the recent app market? 3 devices.
    Did I mention apple? I was talking about android. We all know apple is a runaway success with great, though far from perfect, devices. And I still wouldn't trade my Pre+ for an iphone.
    Quote Originally Posted by dsei View Post
    That's not a fair statement. 1GHz 3430 != 1GHz 3630. Have you personally seen webOS running on a newer processor for this comparison?
    No, which is why I didn't say an unconfirmed, unannounced Pre 2 running whatever unconfirmed chip you want to put in it. I can only argue the performance of what we have, not the hypothetical scenario of what may be.

I agree but I think we'll see the numbers pickup when:
    • webOS 2.0 goes live. The SDK is being greatly expanded to provide more needed API's to devs. This is probably the most limiting factor right now for a lot of quality apps to be released.
    • New hardware (multiple form factors) are released. There are a lot of devs that are probably holding off just because they feel nobody wants a gen 1 pre anymore (for good reason). When Palm/HP finally finally release devices people want, devs and quality apps will follow. Look, I don't think we'll ever catch up in the numbers game but that's ok with me.
    Is the implication that Palm has yet to release a device that "people want"? I honestly can't tell. But it just seems like there's always a "Once Palm does X...." catch to this platform taking off.

Like "Once Palm gets the device on other carriers and sales pick up, then we'll see more developers" or "Once the PDK is out, we'll see a flood of iOS ports".

I don't see any reason to assume things will be different now. They could be, but HP and Palm now have to show me. I can't be blindly optimistic.
    LOL. When someone says the Pre 2 will be on par or that an overclocked Pre IS on par with 1 ghz phones, you are nowhere to be found. When they say it isn't, you can't respond fast enough.

Too bad, you didn't bother to read what I wrote as I said a "1ghz Pre with the current WebOS."
    Sorry, but saying an overclocked phone is the same as a higher speed stock phone is simply false, and who says this is plain and simply totally wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by vasekvi View Post
    Did I mention apple? I was talking about android. We all know apple is a runaway success with great, though far from perfect, devices. And I still wouldn't trade my Pre+ for an iphone.
    Me neither. Not what I said and not the point. You said "you have to consider also the sheet number of Android devices" when considering the number of apps. Why is this only true for WebOS and Android?
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts

If the pre2 has an omap3630/3640 it will out perform a 1Ghz pre+ no doubt!

Too bad you didn't read the post you were replying to, cobrakon specifically stated 'the pre2' not a pre.
    Did I say sheet number? I meant to say sheer number. But Android vs webOS is not exactly fair to compare. Or even iOS because it had a head start not only on webOS, but on the smartphone as we know it.
    autofocus camera?(apps that check prices) Mic API's?(apps like shazam) sd slot? higher ppi screen? 2 mics for better sound? webOS 2.0?

ok i'll bite..

If MIC API's are released (they said they will be released soon) then more apps will come.

What about autofocus? i haven't herd anyone mention that? I think it's important.

WebOS 2.0 (optimized for hardware? is the question of the day) also how well baked is it?

And as far as apps go... i hope those API's are released. Worse case we can add 10,000 ebooks and consider them apps
    Last edited by antonio3; 10/12/2010 at 07:50 AM.