Page 14 of 30 FirstFirst ... 4910111213141516171819 24 ... LastLast
    i think definitely this week or next. i think blackberry is announcing their new os on thursday or something..maybe their going to wait to then to ruin their day too..who knows ...
    A lot of people here are ignoring the die shrink of the CPU (if they're using the OMAP36xx in the new Pre).

Keep in mind that we're increasing the power usage of the Pre by overclocking it to 1GHz.

The OMAP36xx requires less voltage for the same clock speed, so it should help quite a bit with battery.

And pretty much with every generation of phone we get more and more efficient radios, which is the most power hungry part in any phone. I'd expect a pretty decent battery improvement, though not as much as I'd prefer.

Also, if you're a Pre user (not a Plus user) don't discount the huge improvement that 512MB of RAM gives in performance even at the same clock speed.
    It does seem strange, to me at least, that SFR could get away with uploading all this information to their website without an official announcement by either Palm or HP.

It's never been that case. In fact, i'm sure Palm could take legal action on this.

BUT.. would Palm give permission to do it in a market offshore, albeit, on the day Windows Phone is announced, to try to see what the reaction would be?

Seem strange to anyone else?

The picture also just looks a little.. i don't know.. fake to me. A poorly done image through PhotoShop or something.
    how does the new omap processor compare to the apple a4 or the new humming bird and snapdragon processors?
    iPhone 4s 64gb for personal, at&t Prē 3 for business. Best of both worlds.
    Droid 2/moto x uses a 1ghz OMAP so its right there.
    side note: notice how all the WP7 phones were 480x800 - didn't we hear that as a rumor for Palm "Mansion" too - that rumor is probably one of the "new devices" for 2011.

I wonder if the SFR was not so accidental by Palm - just a little something to keep Palm's name out there and steal a little thunder away from WP7. They probably don't have the "mansion" phone ready, so all they could do was leak a spec-bump Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by kentuckywildcats View Post
    This is what the next pre should be like. 4.1" slider...my dream webos phone.
    Same.. Replace the buttons, with a gesture area.
    Quote Originally Posted by livinofframen View Post
    What a total and complete joke of a device. So after all that waiting, we got basically exactly what a Pre Plus is with Uberkernel 1GHz on it. Most flabbergastingly, it includes the same pathetically small battery which has been universally panned by users and reviewers alike. A truly unbelievable disappointment.
    Watch the specs closely, it has high end specs, it was to be release in june, it got delayed. hp is bringing the heat at CES,this is (for me at least) a farewell to palm as a hardware manufacturer, and if it hast better build quiality ill buy it (i have a Pre minus). I personally dont need a 1.5 ghz dual core processor and a 4" screen to enjoy WebOS, of course there is people that do, but i think HP is the one that has the awnsers now, they mus play perfect or WebOS will sink , this is just a warmup.
    Quote Originally Posted by susanoo26 View Post
    what a joke. I truly have no regrets to UPGRADING to the EVO.

This Pre2 is a minor spec bump, with the same dated hardware form factor. I can't believe that some of the Palmsheep on PlC are actually excited by this. Palm could take a dump on the table, call it a phone and some of you people would still call it the greatest phone ever. lol. There have been MUCH better hardware conceptual designs by some of the PlC members than this piece of garbage Palm is putting out. Epic FAIL.
    How is the Evo upgrading?
    This thing is a Pre2, the same BASIC from factor but NOT same materials, which means better build wuality which is by all menans the weakspot of palm phones so far.

As for specs 1ghz and 512mb ram are top of the line so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Which brings the Pre in line with phones released 4 months ago from today. By the time it launches, it will be on par with phones that are anywhere from 7-11 months old. And still crippled by the complete lack of support from the developers who make the apps that are driving smartphone sales.

Who would want this other than the folks who are determined to go to the grave clutching an overclocked Pre?
    My guess is this will launch in november-december
    Which bring it in line with ALL top smartphones from this year including the all glorified WP7 and the allmighty Android, of coruse lets not forget the demigod of phones, the iPhone.
    THEN! HP will announce new hardware at CES, TOP OF THE LINE 2011 hardware. Which will be targeted at people like you that count every hertz and byte and pixel and quarter of an inch they can in order to be able to say "mine is bigger than yours".
    Now HP...

MARKET THE **** OUT OF IT< GOOD MARKETING NO CREEPING STUFF!

And sorry for quadruple post...didnt meant to but this forum moves fast xD
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    the sfr link is finally down
    Quote Originally Posted by xcrico View Post
    the sfr link is finally down
    Yup i noticed that too , strange...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    one could argue that those who don't know what video conferencing is probably arent too into smartphones. Front facing camera IS a big deal these days. So is digital compass. So is 4G.
    Front facing camera for video telephony might be a big deal for you - but not for the general market. That feature was available in Europe on UMTS phones for years - *and* actively pushed by manufacturers/carriers and still hasn't taken off.

Often enough people prefer texting over voice even - so video is just a minority interest. Some parents away from their kids will love that. Many will play with it a few times - but most of the time video is not very useful.
    And given the recent change away from flat rate, video might turn out way too expensive. You can browse a lot of the web for a single minute of video.

It's not even close to being a killer feature. It's a nice-to-have.

Neither are the 2 other points. Digital compass is way more useful than video, but still not a primary motivator for buying a phone.

And 4G is expensive and in many areas still not available. For web browsing and email 3G is mostly good enough.
    4G excites reviewers and some geeks - but mostly needed for video - and again - video is not even close to being a feature that most people are very interested in.

The real killer features are solid build, battery life, app store, cool and easy to use UI.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Which brings the Pre in line with phones released 4 months ago from today. By the time it launches, it will be on par with phones that are anywhere from 7-11 months old. And still crippled by the complete lack of support from the developers who make the apps that are driving smartphone sales.

Who would want this other than the folks who are determined to go to the grave clutching an overclocked Pre?
    Uh, not quite. How about the Pre2 being "on par" with TEN (10) WP7 phones that are about 12 hours old??

Quote Originally Posted by Me
    ...ALL 10 WIN7 PHONES RELEASED TODAY LAUNCHED WITH...YOU GUESSED IT 1GHZ CPU'S! (and MANY of them with 8GB of storage!) I wouldn't worry about the Pre2 at all.
    That and the FACT that we have MORE devs on board now than ever AND, we ADDED (+) 200,000 users last quarter WITHOUT any new phones or adverts. Really think people won't by a NEW webOS phone when they are STILL buying the "old crappy one"??

Yeah, I thought so. (p.s. I hear there are plenty of usernames available over at both androidcentral and tipb)
    Quote Originally Posted by tholap View Post
    Front facing camera for video telephony might be a big deal for you - but not for the general market. That feature was available in Europe on UMTS phones for years - *and* actively pushed by manufacturers/carriers and still hasn't taken off.
    That's because video chat was a boring gimmick then.

Now it's a revolutionary innovation backed by Apple - the future of communication as we know it, in fact.
    I just made a side to side comparison of the Pre Plus and the Pre 2 SFR. Looks like the keyboard position has slightly changed:
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    A)

B) ALL 10 WIN7 PHONES RELEASED TODAY LAUNCHED WITH...YOU GUESSED IT 1GHZ CPU'S! (and MANY of them with 8GB of storage!) I wouldn't worry about the Pre2 at all.
    wp7 is destined to fail. that metro UI is the worst thing ive ever seen in my life. im coming from an android phone and xda and i can tell you the devs and community here is much stronger. i bet alot of people will buy the pre2 if it hits verizon or sprint, i know i will.
    Last edited by fixxxer1022; 10/12/2010 at 05:37 AM.
    I like the pre form factor. The only thing that annoys me is the lack of virtual landscape keyboard. Am I still going to have to turn the phone around just to type a few words? Hope not.