Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Why do you think Palm has not come out with a new phone ??????

1) Everytime they make a model its already outdated and have to go to the drawing board again.

2) They want to release it all over world and having problems making GSM version, like last year.

3) They dont have hardware parts or short on it, things like dual core processor. 4G, better screen all could hold them back

4) They are having problems with high resolution screens?

5) They really want to torment us

What do you guys think why palm has not released a new phone yet, when HTC release a new phone every 2 months.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    1. It would need a WAAAAAY more optimized version of WebOS since the current version running on a 1 ghz Pre is nowhere near competitive to Android phones running natively at 1 ghz and iPhone 4 running natively at 800 mhz. Since WebOS 2.0 is not finished, the phone is not ready for release.

2. Basically what you said in #3 and #4. EVERYBODY is scrambling for high end smartphone parts right now, and it will probably take HP/Palm a little bit of time to assemble everything needed for a truly next-gen piece of hardware. Rushing for the holidays without the extensive setup of marketing and retail is a fatal mistake.

3. Tablet comes first? Dunno....
    yes to #5. They just want to torment users.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    I'm worried that they are holding back for a homerun instead of just getting on base. I think they may be trying to find the perfect storm. Reality is, releasing a new phone is like marriage: There is never a perfect time, and there are always excuses not to do it. With HP backing, can't understand why not to just release something and feel the market out. Think outside the box a little with different form factors or something.
    #6. HP interfered.
    Thank you for this thread. I am really wondering myself, and the only conclusion I can come to is that it is the timing of the release that they want to optimize. Make the announcement at a highly publicized event. I can't think of any other reason. Unless you want to convince me that, after 18 months, they have not been able to put together a design, a spec sheet, or an engineering plan for a follow-up phone. We know that money is not an object here, so my bet is that the phone is probably ready to go, but is being kept secret until the BIG REVEAL, wherever and whenever that may be. CES? Who knows.
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, I don't need to drink to have fun. Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

Let's all give thanks to the app that started it all.
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ebrew-app.html
    My guess: announcement on 10/10/2010, release in November.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by morrison0880 View Post
    Thank you for this thread. I am really wondering myself, and the only conclusion I can come to is that it is the timing of the release that they want to optimize. Make the announcement at a highly publicized event. I can't think of any other reason. Unless you want to convince me that, after 18 months, they have not been able to put together a design, a spec sheet, or an engineering plan for a follow-up phone. We know that money is not an object here, so my bet is that the phone is probably ready to go, but is being kept secret until the BIG REVEAL, wherever and whenever that may be. CES? Who knows.
    The longer they keep it secret and longer they take to release, the more outdated it would be. Which may be true meaning the keep going back to drawing board.
  9.    #9  
    This is what Peter Skillman said about making phones when he left Palm for Nokia. Remember he knows how the system works:
    "It’s very easy to copy a mobile phone — it takes about 8 hours to take apart a phone and laser scan the whole thing. It will take another 2 to 3 weeks and mimic and build any phone out there. The bar for delivering reasonable hardware has really come down."
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    OR, maybe they want to be able to market the whole ecosystem at once. Present the phone while announcing the upcoming tablet & printers--highlighting the common webOS 2.0.
    #7. Waiting on 2nd coming of Christ.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by darkzone View Post
    #7. Waiting on 2nd coming of Christ.
    I thought SPJobs is already here
    Quote Originally Posted by jelks View Post
    My guess: announcement on 10/10/2010, release in November.
    That's a Sunday. Announcements aren't made on Sundays, because nobody is paying attention.
    If I show up at your door, chances are you did something to bring me there.
    Just imagine a phone release from HP|Palm that wasn't completely satisfactory to their users. The moderators would have their work cut out for them...in deleting posts, and sending out warnings and infractions(crime less serious than a felony) it would be a lot of fracas on the forum. I'd rather wait until its just right. Whenever that Is..
    Last edited by RUSH; 10/05/2010 at 12:01 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    I thought SPJobs is already here
    Damit you got me there...scratch that one..
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Blank View Post
    That's a Sunday. Announcements aren't made on Sundays, because nobody is paying attention.
    Not only that, but the night before Microsoft and AT&T start the Windows Phone 7 blitz? Riiiiiiiiiiiiiight.
  17. mus
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    The most likely reason is that the follow-up to the Pre was canned. Possible reasons:

The features weren't competitive with what was coming out
    The carriers weren't willing to support similar hardware
    HP took a good hard look at it and decided that they weren't as pressed as Palm was to put out a marginal product.
    The failure of the Pre in the marketplace caused them to go back to the drawing board.
    This one. It also seems a whole bunch of upper Palm management were "canned" along with the phone.
    I suspect it's an innovative new marketing strategy. One that relies on having their most fervent customers create their own mockups and renderings to build anticipation.
    Global Posts
    170 Global Posts
    2nd coming of JC... Lmao

(guess I'll never see this new phone after-all)
    1) the merger happened. Plain and simple.

2) ceo issues. You need a ceo to lead the company

3) it takes time to form and execute a strategy.

4) they're waiting on webos 2.0. Why bother releasing it with 1.4.5?

5) they're probably putting the device through intensive QA this time to make sure its top notch.

6) working with multiple form factors (smarphones, tablet) at the same time for a) a release all at once and b) so they're well integrated with each other so they work properly

its only been 3 full months since the merge was complete. That's no time in the corporate world.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast