Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by kjb86 View Post
    1) the merger happened. Plain and simple.

2) ceo issues. You need a ceo to lead the company

3) it takes time to form and execute a strategy.

4) they're waiting on webos 2.0. Why bother releasing it with 1.4.5?

5) they're probably putting the device through intensive QA this time to make sure its top notch.

6) working with multiple form factors (smarphones, tablet) at the same time for a) a release all at once and b) so they're well integrated with each other so they work properly

its only been 3 full months since the merge was complete. That's no time in the corporate world.

1)Ok, we have been talking about merger since March

2) Ruby is leading the palm division and the phone division, so no CEO issue. Bradley is filling up whatever is left

3) It has been months now and I bet plan for pre-2 was present atleast for a year.

4) Web OS 2.0 is ready as per Ruby, but as he said hardware is frustrating him, plus they have released less baked software in past and then updated it later.

5) I hope so

6) Unlikely, probably release two at the start, one with physical KB, one without and later during the year release more versions, this way one also keep up the hub-bub

7) In 3 months HTC has released 3 new phones
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    1)Ok, we have been talking about merger since March

2) Ruby is leading the palm division and the phone division, so no CEO issue. Bradley is filling up whatever is left

3) It has been months now and I bet plan for pre-2 was present atleast for a year.

4) Web OS 2.0 is ready as per Ruby, but as he said hardware is frustrating him, plus they have released less baked software in past and then updated it later.

5) I hope so

6) Unlikely, probably release two at the start, one with physical KB, one without and later during the year release more versions, this way one also keep up the hub-bub

7) In 3 months HTC has released 3 new phones
    1) BUT, the deal didn't close in March. It closed in July.

2) No CEO issue? How about merging the units & losing about 5 senior members of the Palm team? Though this is not uncommon in a merger or buyout, it is hard to move forward aggressively until the dust settles. This includes putting new people in positions & getting them up to speed.

3) The plan for a pre 2 (though you offered no proof when the plan was finalized) & execution are totally separate. Plus, HP & Palm, now that resources were available, may have had a few things on the wish list that could now become reality.

4) So it is your advice to HP Palm to just release "less baked software?" Though the software can always be improved, I would prefer that it not only be ready, but developers are on board.

7) So? They didn't just go through 1-4 above.
    its only been 3 full months since the merge was complete. That's no time in the corporate world.
    But it's a life time for a Pre owner with a dying phone, upgrade eligible, and not willing to waste $100 on old phone technology insurance replacement when there are so many other choices!

This is what HP/Palm should be looking at!
    Quote Originally Posted by dandufour View Post
    I don't think it is a new marketing strategy. It's just that we, Pre users, are left behind like always.
    im sure the next webos phone will be very competitive in the market. i have faith in hp / palm.
    Quote Originally Posted by RacingInIowa.com View Post
    But it's a life time for a Pre owner with a dying phone, upgrade eligible, and not willing to waste $100 on old phone technology insurance replacement when there are so many other choices!

This is what HP/Palm should be looking at!
    i wouldn't call the pre a "dying" phone, we have a great community and good devs here. the 1ghz.. overclock brings new life to the phone.
    No... I'm not generalizing about the dying phone....

I'm a day one owner and my phone is VERY old in phone life and it is dying!

Cracked screen from USB door, weak power button with piece of eraser under it,
    Battery that don't last a whole day....

I NEED a replacement and it will probably be before end of THIS year.
    Quote Originally Posted by RacingInIowa.com View Post
    No... I'm not generalizing about the dying phone....

I'm a day one owner and my phone is VERY old in phone life and it is dying!

Cracked screen from USB door, weak power button with piece of eraser under it,
    Battery that don't last a whole day....

I NEED a replacement and it will probably be before end of THIS year.
    gotcha, you can pick a cheap pre up on craigslist... that's what i did.

i payed $100 for a new insurance replacement.
    i believe palm had designed and engineered a pre successor prior to the hp merger. but whatever idea they had for that phone has since been scraped by hp, hence jon rubinstein's frustration for lack of new palm products.
    Many people seem to be laying some blame on HP. Let's be reminded that without HP infusion of capital, the "next phone" ain't gonna happen. The reason it is late is not because of any marketing strategy, but because Palm blew its entire wad on bringing out the current generation Pre/Pixi. There ain't no cash left to R&D a next generation until HP came along.

Second, HP/Palm really want to avoid the debacle as the first one, a premature webOS, still needing much polishing, mated to 2nd rate hardware. HP/Palm cannot afford to have a repeat. So they are waiting till they get it right.

Not so difficult to understand.
    I'm not going to spend $100 on a referb.

That $100 is going towards a Brand new phone.... Pre Or Not!
  11.    #31  
    I wont mind spending 100 dollars on a spec bump if that means a better keyboard for my verizon pre plus
    If this helped you hit thanks.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12