Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Apple or Motorola or HTC could not hide new phones. Apple inspite of all their security could not do anything. This tell me, the only reason why we have not seen pre-2 is, it exists only on paper. There is not hard copy yet. Which is kind of sad, as it takes atleast 3-4 months to test the device and get FCC approval. I hope palm is doubling down and hard copy is just around the corner.
    No offense, but that's ignoring history. Do you think that the day before CES09 that the previous Pre only existed on paper? The fact of the matter is, there isn't as much of a demand for information about Palm as there is for a giant like Apple. It helps to keep them below the radar a bit. Besides that, while Apple had a ton of leaks this time around, they HAVE successfully pulled off a few secretive launches in the past.

Don't get me wrong, I still think that a new device is months away. But I would almost guarantee that there's a few different prototypes that Palm is working on.
    plenty of time between now and CES in January...
    it is also possible to have the FCC not release their information until the public announcement. Apple does it each year. So just because we haven't heard of everything going through the FCC doesn't mean that nothing has.
  5.    #5  
    I hope pre-2 comes out before CES
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Also, It's a whole lot easier to control info leaks when you are a small company like Palm.
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    The problem is that with all of the speculation about IF there will be future Palm phones, it would actually benefit Palm to make an announcement. It doesn't mean they need to give any details, but they could do it.

I would love to see a Pre Plus Plus that is the same size as the iPhone but also has the slide-out keyboard for example.
  8.    #8  
    I think there is a lot of interest in pre-2, hence saying that a palm being a small company no one is interested in a leak is wrong.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    No offense, but that's ignoring history. Do you think that the day before CES09 that the previous Pre only existed on paper? The fact of the matter is, there isn't as much of a demand for information about Palm as there is for a giant like Apple. It helps to keep them below the radar a bit. Besides that, while Apple had a ton of leaks this time around, they HAVE successfully pulled off a few secretive launches in the past.

Don't get me wrong, I still think that a new device is months away. But I would almost guarantee that there's a few different prototypes that Palm is working on.
    NO! NO! NO! NO! You are not allowed to have common sense here. What are you thinking
    Palm just like every other company is always working on prototypes . I work in the mobile field. there usualyl are mulitiple protoypes being made and tested. Some never see the light of day. But Im sure Palm has on paper and in prototype form a few devices.
  11.    #11  
    I think these must really early stage prototypes that no one cared to leak, or too rudimentary to leak.
    I love when people start threads with definitive statements that would seem to have to be backed up by some sort of statement from palm or a report. Only, when you open the thread it is just the opinion of a poster with nothing to back it up. What wait, did I say love? I meant I hate those threads.

Look, you have just as much proof that the Pre-2 doesn't exist as the guys saying it does. So next time just put your opinion in one of the several "C-40, New WebOS phone!" threads.

Sorry for the rant, these things are getting out of hand.
    and giving phantom products a name is especially problematic. Calling it a Pre-2 assumes they will produce something continuing the current family. Hopefully they won't use the Pre/Pixi names because I think they are silly. Phone names should tell prospective buyers something. iPhone = internet+phone+apple "i" franchise. EVO = Evolution (next generation) of smartphone., Incredible= Incredible performance/features/cutting edge..

Pre= Before something... as in Preproduction, preliminary, prehistoric... Plus= something added. So you have before+something... what is that?

Pixi says something about the phone, it says that if a guy took a Pixi to highschool, he would get beat up.

And c-40 was a rumored code name from long ago. If it ever was a product, it has either shipped (i.e. Pixi Plus) or it now has a different code name...The C-40 thread bugs me for that reason. the term C-40 is thrown around like it is some unannounced product that we have inside info about...

/end-of-rant

Other than "next webOS phone", anything else is confusing speculation IMHO.

I agree with saluki42 completely.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    and giving phantom products a name is especially problematic. Calling it a Pre-2 assumes they will produce something continuing the current family. Hopefully they won't use the Pre/Pixi names because I think they are silly. Phone names should tell prospective buyers something. iPhone = internet+phone+apple "i" franchise. EVO = Evolution (next generation) of smartphone., Incredible= Incredible performance/features/cutting edge..

Pre= Before something... as in Preproduction, preliminary, prehistoric... Plus= something added. So you have before+something... what is that?

Pixi says something about the phone, it says that if a guy took a Pixi to highschool, he would get beat up.

And c-40 was a rumored code name from long ago. If it ever was a product, it has either shipped (i.e. Pixi Plus) or it now has a different code name...The C-40 thread bugs me for that reason. the term C-40 is thrown around like it is some unannounced product that we have inside info about...

/end-of-rant

Other than "next webOS phone", anything else is confusing speculation IMHO.

I agree with saluki42 completely.

Well stated. I'm totally with you on the name thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    According to Mobile Whack, there were rumors about the Pre (aka Nova) as early as Jan 2008. Palm Infocenter was also on the case. By May 2008, Treonauts pretty much figured out what was going on.

In short, by Oct 2008, 3 months before the Jan 2009 CES, Palm Nova phone sightings were on the rise and blogs across the web had pretty much figured out what was coming and when. So no, Palm is not good at keeping secrets and the complete lack of information regarding a follow on device coming out is foreboding to say the least.
    kkhanmd only exists on my monitor, so he must not exist in real life.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    i highly doubt that palm does not have a phone already dev'ed and ready for mass production. or very close to it at least.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  18.    #18  
    kkhanmd is everywhere!!
    I cannot see the curvature of the earth; thus, the world is FLAT

I cannot see the earth moving with respect to the sun; thus, the sun orbits the earth

I cannot see 'germs'; thus, it is witchcraft that makes some people sick.

I like this world view. It really simplifies my life. Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    According to Mobile Whack, there were rumors about the Pre (aka Nova) as early as Jan 2008. Palm Infocenter was also on the case. By May 2008, Treonauts pretty much figured out what was going on.

In short, by Oct 2008, 3 months before the Jan 2009 CES, Palm Nova phone sightings were on the rise and blogs across the web had pretty much figured out what was coming and when. So no, Palm is not good at keeping secrets and the complete lack of information regarding a follow on device coming out is foreboding to say the least.
    None of those sites knew exactly what was going on, they had some speculation, maybe just a little more than we do now. There were no leaks in any of those articles or images or what exactly the device was going to look like. I think palm does a pretty good job at keeping their products hidden.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast