Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I suggest highly that you all see the C40 thread.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    your right about the 6 months. Centro was announed and it was almost 6 months . The PRE was announed in Dec 2008 and released June 2009. Sprint announed the EVO in January and it was released June so 6 months seems to be the norm. I almost sure it was about 6 months for the Treo. ( I rememeber waiting) But next summer is a year so If they announce something around August we can see it by FEb 2011.
    Just to play Devil's Advocate, aren't those actually new devices. 1st gen of a line?

It seems that a "next gen" Pre is not the same animal as the announcement of the first ever Pre, etc.

I know EVO is not the first Android, but it was a major new device. I could see an EVO2, for example, being released more quickly after leak / announce than the very first ever.
    The Centro was a new device. It was a departure from the TREO. But the Treo line if you were here during that time were all released months after announcments. Its pretty typical to be about 6 months. Looks at the announments for the new Android phones on Verizon ( Scorpion etc) there being released later this year. its rare but no impossible for a phone to be released so soon after announcing but itcan happen absolutley. just not the norm.

Quote Originally Posted by rlee2001 View Post
    Just to play Devil's Advocate, aren't those actually new devices. 1st gen of a line?

It seems that a "next gen" Pre is not the same animal as the announcement of the first ever Pre, etc.

I know EVO is not the first Android, but it was a major new device. I could see an EVO2, for example, being released more quickly after leak / announce than the very first ever.
  4.    #44  

I have to agree here w rlee2001, if they announce new web-OS device 6 months before, it will impair their selling of current web-OS devices. Hence I think officially it will be announced maybe a month before. Though I do expect some leaked information about the devices including pictures, atleast from Vietnam or China.
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    I suggest highly that you all see the C40 thread.
    I suggest that we stop using the term "C-40" as it has no bearing at all on what Palm is developing. It is either the name of a device already delivered (i.e. Pixi Plus), a device that was scrapped (follow-up to Foleo?) or a device that was renamed from C-40 long ago...

So many implications that we "know" something when we throw around bogus code names as if they are valid... Just a pet peeve.
    Pre was announced in Jan 09 .... And 6 months shouldn't matter Iphone 4 was announced in june 2010 an will release june 2010.
    I was going to say that exactly, JHoff

I was lucky enough to win the 'Celebrate with Palm' contest and go to CES '09 for the unveil. Engadget, Gizmodo, a bunch of news outlets were there, and NO ONE outside of Palm knew ANYTHING.

I chatted with an engineer from Palm and asked him how they were able to keep it such a secret. He told me they went to extraordinary lengths. Hardware was VERY closely monitored. When it was to be demoed for Sprint or other carrier execs, they didn't box one up and ship it out. A Palm employee would fly out there with the device, demo it in a closed room, and fly back with it. None were allowed to remain away from a Palm employee before the unveil.

He also said, (and recall, this is January 2009), that he had been actively using his Pre on the network for > a month before the unveil.

Understanding that, I'm certain next gen hardware was in the hands of the engineers even before HP/Palm announcement. That hardware will almost certainly come to market.
    Last edited by RizP; 06/09/2010 at 11:16 AM. Reason: quote didn't populate.
    Handspring Visorphone -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Treo Pro -> Pre -> NS4G -> FrankenPre 2
    Quote Originally Posted by OneDeep View Post
    Pre was announced in Jan 09 .... And 6 months shouldn't matter Iphone 4 was announced in june 2010 an will release june 2010.
    I agree. In fact, from the position they're in now with HP's acquisition imminent, they have the luxury of time. They can have the devices totally ready to roll before announcing and then go to market in 30-60 days. The time pressure isn't the same.

Recall Palm was trying to run a marathon at a sprinting pace (pun?) when they first unveiled webOS. And by any estimation, it's astounding what they achieved. International launches, cultivating an app ecosystem, updating the OS almost monthly, multiple devices, multiple carriers.

And this was Palm. 1/10th (or less!) the size of competitors like Google or Apple, with stock trading at $1.46. Looking at it from that perspective makes the 6 month lead time more understandable. I'm SURE it's not how they wanted to do it. It's how they had to back then.
    Last edited by RizP; 06/09/2010 at 11:24 AM. Reason: horrible, horrible grammar.
    Handspring Visorphone -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Treo Pro -> Pre -> NS4G -> FrankenPre 2
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    I have to agree here w rlee2001, if they announce new web-OS device 6 months before, it will impair their selling of current web-OS devices. Hence I think officially it will be announced maybe a month before. Though I do expect some leaked information about the devices including pictures, atleast from Vietnam or China.
    That's a good point. However, if I recall correctly they unveiled the Treo 800w in July '08, then the Treo Pro a month later.

So, many scenarios can be supported by precedent.
    Last edited by RizP; 06/09/2010 at 11:31 AM. Reason: really needed a comma after "So"
    I have always thought the fall of this year was the most likely release timeframe for the next handset, anyway.

Several critical technologies will be maturing into production at that time, and it gives plenty of space for the Evo, iPhone4 and whatever Android-flavor-of-the-month-phone-Verizon-releases hype to have fizzled.

Some kind of leak/early hype would probably have happened within the last month or two, but the HP acquisition has nixed that.

The idea that we're still a year away is not credible. It would mean Palm's engineers have been literally sitting around playing solitaire for the last year.
    The evening news reports more about the Federal Gov't than the local Police Jury in Des Moines for the same reasons
    Ah, you must be from Louisiana. I don't think the term "police jury" (which, for those not familiar with the concept, is neither a jury nor a police body) exists in Iowa or any place outside LA.
    Dark Side.Let's hope that the Palm and Sprint don't go over to the dark side in the next iteration. I've continued to be a Palm user for over 10 years precisely because there were no ads. According to a recent article, Iphone 4 users on July 1 will be subjected to apps with iAds advertising, that may be based on user information obtained by Apple and distributed to third parties. Palm currently allows developers to use AdMob ads in 'free' apps. It's a slippery slope to including user directed ads in all applications. The Palm Pre is first of all a tool for living one's life and my personal information is not for sale to the highest bidder. Taking my time, bandwidth and memory for unwanted ads based on any of my information, including my location, is an invasion of privacy. Commercial advertising is a cancer. If left unchecked it will continue to metasticize into every facet of our lives. I'm deleting all apps with ads off of my Palm Pre. Just say no to ads on Palm Pre, Pixi and "future generation palms"!
    Quote Originally Posted by idontwan2know View Post
    I have always thought the fall of this year was the most likely release timeframe for the next handset, anyway.

Several critical technologies will be maturing into production at that time, and it gives plenty of space for the Evo, iPhone4 and whatever Android-flavor-of-the-month-phone-Verizon-releases hype to have fizzled.

Some kind of leak/early hype would probably have happened within the last month or two, but the HP acquisition has nixed that.

The idea that we're still a year away is not credible. It would mean Palm's engineers have been literally sitting around playing solitaire for the last year.
    A quick review of Palm's most recent financial statements would support this view. A minor launch in Q3 (perhaps Pre+ on SPrint) and a major launch in Q1.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    A quick review of Palm's most recent financial statements would support this view. A minor launch in Q3 (perhaps Pre+ on SPrint) and a major launch in Q1.
    I've been a proponent of a late fall launch for a while but your comment has me thinking. Palm's fiscal year ends May 31st, when you say Q3 do you mean Palm's Q3 or the traditional calendar base Q3? I hope its not the first as that would put a "minor release" release out until December - February time frame.

Either way, if we're not going to get a new device (major release) until Jan through March of 2011, I'm not going to be happy. 1 1/2 - 2 years between real new devices (adding memory and a "+" to an existing device does not make a new device) is waaaaay to long in this this industry.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    HP's comments and PALM staff ditching Palm supports the thread title imo, unfortunately.

As for the C-40 thread, its full of rumors, not leaks. Palm did keep a very tight lid on the Pre. This time around I think they have a lid on an empty pot. Or maybe just a piece of paper.

Dislike sounding like the pessimist, but lack of activity or info leads me to it. Everyone else is moving on getting better devices. I will, however, be inclined to believe that it does have to do with the merger being finalized.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    So please, show us all the links of the impending next-generation Palm device release. There's a lot of buzz from the Palm fanatics here that it's just around the corner (i.e. next month), but there's a dearth of discussion about it outside of these forums. In the past, there has been a vigorous, widely cast, online discussion about future Palm devices when there actually were devices.. Are you saying that Palm suddenly developed air-tight security in the last 6 months? Or do YOU have supporting links?
    You are dense. Seriously. You are basing your opinion on the "wide" rantings of various forums? Wow. Most other places think Palm is dead. It's not, but that's beside the point. Palm held the lid on the Pre until the announcement. That pathetic article you sent had only "details" that would be somewhat obvious when you knew Rubenstein was with Palm.

There are a number of people who have stated, from various sources, that early July would be the announcement date. Will it? Who knows? But it certainly is a very likely candidate, as it's after the shareholder vote, and just in time to trump the recent launches. I think August (2nd month of Q3) is the timeframe. We'll see.
  17.    #57  
    I am sure, July would be pre plus for sprint, while October/Nov will be new web OS device for Sprint, and on Christmas it will come to verizon.
  18.    #58  
    I am thinking they will have a test device ready by August
    A test device by August? Please. I guarantee you that they are long past that stage.

The complex parts of phone design are the mechanical and software portions. The electronics are relatively easy as everything in a cell phone is a handful of discrete IC's and a few caps, resistors, and diodes. There are power considerations, shape of the PCB/PWB, number of layers and trace routings (including power and ground planes needed), and that's it. The hard stuff is done by the IC manufacturers. TI has an entire phone with the works already designed. Phone developers can use it as a basic guideline on the working circuits and the components that work well together. Not that hard, and certainly doesn't take long to get a bunch of prototypes designed and built up to see what works and doesn't. The software part, WebOS, will already be 98% of the way there; drivers and other hardware specific code is all that remains. CAD guys can whip out designs left and right over a 6 month time frame. Really...why do some of you folks think it takes so long to do cell phones. Must of the hard engineering is already done.
    Quote Originally Posted by falconrap View Post
    A test device by August? Please. I guarantee you that they are long past that stage.

The complex parts of phone design are the mechanical and software portions. The electronics are relatively easy as everything in a cell phone is a handful of discrete IC's and a few caps, resistors, and diodes. There are power considerations, shape of the PCB/PWB, number of layers and trace routings (including power and ground planes needed), and that's it. The hard stuff is done by the IC manufacturers. TI has an entire phone with the works already designed. Phone developers can use it as a basic guideline on the working circuits and the components that work well together. Not that hard, and certainly doesn't take long to get a bunch of prototypes designed and built up to see what works and doesn't. The software part, WebOS, will already be 98% of the way there; drivers and other hardware specific code is all that remains. CAD guys can whip out designs left and right over a 6 month time frame. Really...why do some of you folks think it takes so long to do cell phones. Must of the hard engineering is already done.
    We are 6 months from the first leak or announcement. Sorry to burst your bubble but can you find an example of a cell phone that went from nothing to market in less than 6 months you win... its never happened and the pre2 is not gonna be the first....
    palm m103 > palm m130 > palm TlX > 755p > PRE (FINALLY!!!!)
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast