Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    The Evo has it and now the iPhone 4 has it, so is front-face camera a must have feature on the future Palm Pre or it isn't that much of a big deal for you guys?

I personally think that this is a must have feature for those of us who spend long hours or days away from our kids and if we could only see them for at least a tiny bit during the day it would mean a lot.
    Last edited by TreoRock; 06/07/2010 at 05:33 PM.
    I still think they're a waste... a gimmick feature that people will use for the first couple weeks, and then the novelty will wear off quickly.

But if it attracts more people to whatever the next device is, then sure, put it on.
    Hellz yeah it is, finally I can prefect those Myspace angles.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    not bad. hope to see it in pre2
    []
    Global Posts
    824 Global Posts
    Its def not a MUST have... but any shortcoming or missing feature compared to the competition will be blasted by the press, and come fans alike...
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
    I'd prefer them to spend the money on processor/RAM/HD camera/glass screen - those are my four main hopes for the next gen
    Yah. That better be one of the features on the next Pre phone. I dont find it funny when someone else shows me all the cool features they have on their phone that i dont have in mine. Palm needs to start making some kind of push before everyone leaves the Pre. I dont understand what they're waiting for. Come on Palm. We are rooting for you. Dont disappoint us.
    Quote Originally Posted by errade View Post
    I'd prefer them to spend the money on processor/RAM/HD camera/glass screen - those are my four main hopes for the next gen
    I'll prefer the spend their money on an HD cam, more ram, a great processor, better battery,glass screen, more aluminum as opposed to this crappy plastic and more api releases. If i dont get all these in another 4 months, then im jumping ship. Im a consumer, you have to feed me what i want to buy, not what you want to make.
    it will be a must for me to upgrade. in comparison, screen size, resolution etc are lesser features to me.

here is the run down

front facing camera, with video chat program
    higher screen resolution
    1GHz+ CPU
    512MB+ memory
    SD slot
    Global Posts
    396 Global Posts
    if it's 4G it definitely is for video chat. If it's not put in after you bought it I think you will wish it did soon there after.
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Front facing cam? I don't even use the back facing cam. After all this time I still can't think of a phone as even having a video camera. I'm just slow I guess. But if everybody else has one the next Palm device needs to have one, whether I plan to use it or not.
    It definitely adds value, which adds interest from a certain subset of people. Not to mention the possibilities developers have with a front-facing camera. I would rather have it than not, but not if it comes at the expense of build-quality and expandable storage.
    Treo 300->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 700p-> Palm Pre-> Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch (32GB Launch-day Touchpad sustains my webOS need for now)
    Global Posts
    396 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Black View Post
    I'll prefer the spend their money on an HD cam, more ram, a great processor, better battery,glass screen, more aluminum as opposed to this crappy plastic and more api releases. If i dont get all these in another 4 months, then im jumping ship. Im a consumer, you have to feed me what i want to buy, not what you want to make.
    I completely agree with you about the consumer thing. I love the fact that some people are so loyal to palm, but there comes a point were it's almost as if they are taking advantage of that. The homebrew community is awesome, but I mean some of these patches, why is it they aren't implemented by official update? I love being apart of a growing OS but as a capatalist and consumer I feel like I bought a phone at the price of some others but was shafted on a few aspects and that is beginning to upset me. I love the OS and like was stated before if something doesn't happen soon I hate to say I may be looking to move on as well.
    Not a deal breaker for me, but it would be nice to have just so there will be no whining on here about it missing.
    who cares about a front facing camera.... i only use the rear facing camera once a month for somthing stupid....
    palm m103 > palm m130 > palm TlX > 755p > PRE (FINALLY!!!!)
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    Not a deal breaker for me, but it would be nice to have just so there will be no whining on here about it missing.
    Yes and good point...stop the whinner front facing camera. Is it necessary, not hardly but Apple will make it Super Easy to use and free for Mobile Me users (was that announced?).

Google will one up them offering video chat for free so Me won't last long if it requires paying for the convenience. Never been a big mobile me fan especially with Google offering most everything for free.

Sorli...
    Yes, but....

It needs to come with one of three things:

1. Skype support. Unlikely.
    2. A *full* mic and cam API, so that indy developers can build compatible video chat clients.
    3. Qix support, so that you can talk to people on the EVO.

Why? Video chat that only works among Pre users will be useless, or near useless. I love my Pre, but there aren't enough of us. This is the same reason that iChat AV doesn't do that well.

The *best* bet will be some form of good A/V support in the API, and perhaps even in Flash. Flash has some decent video conferencing apps. Google Voice w/Video (libjingle) could be ported. H.323 would be a given. Fring or IM+ would be able to launch a client.

The EVO's got a forwarding facing camera, and 3G/4G. The EVO will have Video conferencing that's linked into Jabber very soon. I imagine that Skype Video conferencing will not be far behind.

Now, I probably won't dump my Pre for an EVO, at least not yet, however, if I can get high quality video conferencing in my pocket, with the ability to use either a facing or forward camera as needed, I will end up getting that phone. (The iPhone has the problem of being locked to chatting with other iPhones. I'm not sure if this will be fixed).

The ability to "show" people video (preferably HD) in real time with your cellphone via Skype to a computer or other Skype Video supporting device cannot be over-hyped. This will be invaluable in all non-office jobs, and particularly so in fields like construction, real-estate, remediation, media-services, news reporting, health care, manufacturing, and agriculture.

Quote Originally Posted by TreoRock View Post
    The Evo has it and now the iPhone 4 has it, so is front-face camera a must have feature on the future Palm Pre or it isn't that much of a big deal for you guys?

I personally think that this is a must have feature for those of us who spend long hours or days away from our kids and if we could only see them for at least a tiny bit during the day it would mean a lot.
    If video conferencing somehow becomes a norm, then yes. As of now, no. Not yet anyway.

But it would also help Palm to for once offer a current newer feature, instead of waiting until a year later or so.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    I actually prefer not having it. Front facing camera's been done before.

First app will be a "video mirror" for all those people to show off how cool and totally indispensible the camera is... not. And I can just imagine what will happen when you have "video spyware app" that turns the camera on remotely.

Not to mention now we'll have to deal with all the idiots walking around that think video blogging directly from their phone makes them the most important person in the world.

Honestly. I watch the kids play with the front facing cameras on devices like the DS for like a month and then get bored with it. I can't imagine it being that much different on the iPhone. It just ends up being another thing to feed the narcissistic generation
    Simply put no, more complex answer a phone is to call (or text) a person so you can meet them face to face later is it not?
    Life moves fast, don't miss a thing
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast