Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Not necessarily a must have but its kind of like websites. Some companies don't need one but every company has to have one - outta sight outta mind.

Today, rightly or wrongly, perception is reality. HP needs to have a front camera if for no other reason the others are starting to put them on. I could understand Palm being a little behind everyone else hardware wise when they were going broke but HP isn't. That been said I expect the first phone that comes out of a combined HP-Palm development team (i.e. not the Pre 2x2) will be up to spec.
    I don't find it a a must have... maybe a luxury to have... but anything u have on ur cell is a luxury ( flash, cams, apps even) so i think it would be cool to have though
    Quote Originally Posted by solarus View Post
    Not necessarily a must have but its kind of like websites. Some companies don't need one but every company has to have one - outta sight outta mind.

Today, rightly or wrongly, perception is reality. HP needs to have a front camera if for no other reason the others are starting to put them on. I could understand Palm being a little behind everyone else hardware wise when they were going broke but HP isn't. That been said I expect the first phone that comes out of a combined HP-Palm development team (i.e. not the Pre 2x2) will be up to spec.
    I'd expect to see it on their slab design but given the constraints of the Pre's form factor I'd highly doubt seeing one on the Pre unless it lives for several more years. But maybe they'll take a page from the Sony Clie and add a rotating camera to the Pixi.
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoRock View Post
    I don't think Fring supports Skype on Android anymore. Tango and yahoo are nice, but Skype has become a new standard in video conferencing.
    Your right it doesn't but it was going to be until Skype stop them... anyway Skype made their own app for Android available now.
    Quote Originally Posted by hatchettjack View Post
    I have no use for it. People I know that have it, do not use it... Most people don't want you looking at them all the time. So my answer is no...
    Just because you have no use for it doesn't mean everyone else has no use it for. It's better to have it and not use it than to not have it and want it.
    MIC API 's !!!
    AUTO FOCUS CAMERA!!

with those we can get a whole new set of apps in development!!
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    don't see front facing camera as a must have...
    its a must have otherwise why buy it when its basically the same phone. at least put something new into it.
    I think a front facing camera is definitely not needed. And Im not just saying that because other phones have it and mine doesn't. Even if I did have one, I would never use it because one, no one else would have one so whats the point? And two, is looking at someone on your phone when your talking to them REALLY necessary? I think it just fall in the category of "just a cool useless unnecessary feature"
    i may be acting like a whiny little brat, but front facing cameras are cool, and all the cool phones have one, and i want to have a cool phone. but one that runs webOS.

okay, i don't really care if it's cool. i think personally that they're sweet as hell though, and my next phone will have one, HP, samsung, or HTC. (i'm holding out until spring for HP, and i'm pretty sure they'll make it).

i need it to work with basically any phone though, and any laptop. my gf lives like ten hours away and has no cam on her laptop, but she has an iPhone. that's enough reason for me.

even without that situation though, i still think they need it. because whether it's something many people will use or not, it what bada$$ phones have, and HPalm need to make a badA$$ phone.
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    Nurse Manager ::Hi this is so and so you applied for position at -blank- Memorial Hospital for the Tech position can you come in for an interview::

Friend ::I did but unfortunately I am in Florida right now, and it would be difficult to go up for an in person interview at the moment::

Nurse Manager :: Do you have an iPhone by any chance?::

Friend ::yes why?::

Nurse Manager ::I will be able to conduct a Facetime interview with you to give you an idea if you will be needed for a second interview, this will also allow you to find a good time to come up::

Friend :: :: ::Yes, sounds Great!!::

True story,

Do we need it for survival? No
    Will it hurt to have? No
    Quote Originally Posted by igobytony View Post
    i may be acting like a whiny little brat, but front facing cameras are cool, and all the cool phones have one, and i want to have a cool phone. but one that runs webOS.

okay, i don't really care if it's cool. i think personally that they're sweet as hell though, and my next phone will have one, HP, samsung, or HTC. (i'm holding out until spring for HP, and i'm pretty sure they'll make it).

i need it to work with basically any phone though, and any laptop. my gf lives like ten hours away and has no cam on her laptop, but she has an iPhone. that's enough reason for me.

even without that situation though, i still think they need it. because whether it's something many people will use or not, it what bada$$ phones have, and HPalm need to make a badA$$ phone.
    I'm pretty sure if your girlfriend has an iPhone 4, you will need one as well to video chat with her. I don't think they work with other phones. Im not sure. But if thats the case, you only have one option.
    It's a good idea, but unless you're at 4G speeds, it's a waste of time. Even AT 4G, video calling is sometimes a bit "herky-jerky".
    Quote Originally Posted by AbdielRN View Post
    Nurse Manager ::Hi this is so and so you applied for position at -blank- Memorial Hospital for the Tech position can you come in for an interview::

Friend ::I did but unfortunately I am in Florida right now, and it would be difficult to go up for an in person interview at the moment::

Nurse Manager :: Do you have an iPhone by any chance?::

Friend ::yes why?::

Nurse Manager ::I will be able to conduct a Facetime interview with you to give you an idea if you will be needed for a second interview, this will also allow you to find a good time to come up::

Friend :: :: ::Yes, sounds Great!!::

True story,

Do we need it for survival? No
    Will it hurt to have? No
    What were they planning to give him a tour of the place or something? You really don't need to see the person's face to conduct an over the phone tech interview.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    What were they planning to give him a tour of the place or something? You really don't need to see the person's face to conduct an over the phone tech interview.

And who needs a PC?

Or why would anyone ever need 1MB of RAM, anyhow?

And discarding the floppy is just going to kill the Mac.

Where would we be if technology was developed by the least creative of us all?
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    And who needs a PC?

Or why would anyone ever need 1MB of RAM, anyhow?

And discarding the floppy is just going to kill the Mac.

Where would we be if technology was developed by the least creative of us all?
    Is that like Super Audio CD and DVD audio? Segway? UMDs?

There's a difference between being creative verse trying to push a niche idea into the mainstream.
    Nope
    its a must have if palm/hp wants to attract new customers and devs.
    Quote Originally Posted by sinime View Post
    Same here, I have it on my notebook and PC, but don't use it. Plus I don't really think I want to stand (or sit) there holding my phone away from my face in a manner that someone can see me on a regular basis. It just doesn't sound comfortable. Maybe if it had a kickstand or something to set it on a table, but still, just doesn’t sound all that great.

Having said that, I do think a front camera should be included, if for nothing else but to say, so what, my phone can do that too.
    Fact is, they add almost zero cost to current notebooks...and if they can add them to phones for little or no extra cost to the consumer...why not? I wouldn't call it a "must have", but I'm sure most folks would find at least an OCCASIONAL use for it. I see a much greater use for it on a tablet/pad device, but the things are darn near ubiquitous these days.

I swear, some day Google will take Street View the way of SETI@Home ...everyone contributing in real time, the backward cameras taking hip-level shots of the world from half the folks on the street while the other half are Face-Timing each other with the forward cameras.
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    This video cam feature is person choice, some people would never use it at all, where as people would want to use it every change they get. For me i think i would be inbetween. I would love to see my neices and talk to them and see their faces since they live far away, situations like that its a major deal, instead of logging on a pc and loggin in on skype and chattin, its much more convinient. Id also use it to talk to parents, knowing my mom would love just to see my face, make people like that happy, checkin on your pets or kids is another thing if they are being sitted.

Now to take this to a whole other level...front facing camera is not just for video conferencing and self portraits. If app developers got into it you can see a new design on apps, face recognition software to unlock your phone, forget a pin or those connect the dot locks. like the gameboy 3ds and the games the camera uses, you can even see way more augmented reality type games in the app maket. Using both the front and rear camera theres numerous things developers can do. I have an augmented reality game on my centro using the rear 1.3 mp cam,, image what they can do with real technology.

front-facing camera will have a greater change of work if its cross platform, they are easy to incorporate. Facetime vs Qix (or w/e), all apple has to do is release its API's and they would work together. In the meantime yahoo messenger just released cross-platform, havent check it out yet but they are gonna take control of the front facing market since they are first cross-platform. They even release phones like the Transform, cheap phones with video chat capabilities..its the new wave if people like it or not, sure it could be a dying fad, or a key to the future of gaming. palm must include it for bragging rights.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast