Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 109
  1. #61  
    i've seen my girlfriend... It's a must.
  2. liliceman77's Avatar
    Posts
    3 Posts
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    #62  
    ive used it on the evo and it is a must. being able to be in the car (no i was not driving) and videochatting with my girlfriend was amazing (: it was way better than skype. no lagging. better quality than my webcam (8mb compared to only 3.1 on laptop). if there is no front facing camera i won't be upgrading. So who cares if it only has 8gb of memory..thats all i need. it suits my needs...but i suppose it would be nice to have 32gb of memory...just a safteynet for more room, songs, and apps (: and to whover suggested it being able to work with andriod is a must too! i love my palm but none of my friends have a pre. only one has a pixi and the others have andriod. my gf had the samsung fascinate.
  3. lavo96's Avatar
    Posts
    80 Posts
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    #63  
    As long as network coverage is solid, then it can be handy., But unfortunately anything other than Telstra here in Australia is average at best (well, that is definitely the case here in Western Australia). I think that is part of the reason why Apple has so far limited Facetime to wifi only. Call quality will be pivotal in the success of a front facing camera on the Pre. If it ends up being patchy, I could understand Palm leaving it out until the technology is proven.

    I'm waiting to see what Palm and third party developers do with the new Touchstone APIs in WebOS 2. That is something unique to the Pre, and a killer app could finally give Palm some long needed exposure
  4. #64  
    I didn't realize it was an option.
  5. #65  
    put it this way. How many of you have a webcam at home????? Probably everyone. Video chat on mobile phones will be the norm in a few years
  6. #66  
    Quote Originally Posted by Janke View Post
    put it this way. How many of you have a webcam at home????? Probably everyone. Video chat on mobile phones will be the norm in a few years
    Actually I don't. I have one on my previous notebook and now my netbook, but I've never used it.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

    It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

    Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
  7. #67  
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Actually I don't. I have one on my previous notebook and now my netbook, but I've never used it.
    but you could if you chose to. Majotity of people will want it on their phone whether they use it or not.
  8. #68  
    I have a webcam at home and it's a great dust magnet. Might have used it a few times, certainly not high on my priority list at home. However, given a phone that has that built in, I could see myself using it, but that would also depend on the number of people that I know that have a similar capabity, regardless of their phone of choice.
  9. #69  
    Dunno if a majority of people "want" it. That's pretty nebulous speculation. People by nature typically don't say no to extra features. If you asked 100,000 potential Palm consumers if they'd like it on the next Pre I'm sure almost all would say yes. But if you said it would be at the expense of another feature or higher resolution or something and that number would go down. Tell them it would add to the cost of the device and it would go down even more.

    Video telephony has been possible for 50 years and there is a reason it has yet to catch on. Frankly there are a lot of benefits to voice-only remote communication over videoconferencing, absent any technical limitations.
  10. #70  
    Let's put it this way, there are MUCH more important things to want to include in the Pre 2 that a front facing camera is pretty low on the list, especially since the device has so much less space to work with then most of those other devices sporting dual cameras.
  11. #71  
    With other smart phones having it. Facebook supporting video chat. It is a must. With iPhone pushing the Face Time commercials down our throats any phone without it will be considered inferior.
  12. #72  
    Yes, it is a must have.
  13. #73  
    Quote Originally Posted by howemi01 View Post
    Video telephony has been possible for 50 years and there is a reason it has yet to catch on. Frankly there are a lot of benefits to voice-only remote communication over videoconferencing, absent any technical limitations.
    I get what you're saying but we're at a point where it COULD catch on. Not building it into a phone would just be another reason for it to not pass the adoption threshold.
  14. #74  
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoRock View Post
    The Evo has it and now the iPhone 4 has it, so is front-face camera a must have feature on the future Palm Pre or it isn't that much of a big deal for you guys?

    I personally think that this is a must have feature for those of us who spend long hours or days away from our kids and if we could only see them for at least a tiny bit during the day it would mean a lot.
    It depends on who you're asking. Having one certainly isn't going to disuade someone from buying so the bigger question is, why not? Having one appeals to a larger margin.

    It has become standard on most smart phones, so in my opinion, it would be crazy not to have one. Before owning the iPhone 4 I wouldn't have pegged myself as someone that would regularly use it but I do. I video chat with my mother and sister regularly and it's great, especially if you get into the habit of doing it.

    I've often pondered why FaceTime has been so successful when video conferencing on mobile phones has been around for a long time and it's because of the way it's implemented. It's dead simple, so simple that someone like my sister (who, for lack of better words, isn't the brightest crayon in the box) gets it right out of the box. Not to mention, it's quality is pretty damn good.
  15. #75  
    FF camera is only "needed" on the forthcoming webos slab, not the "pre2" imho.
    -- VZW Pre+ -- Uberk/Gov fixed @ 1ghz -- QPST gps mod -- stock battery (?mugen 3800?) --
  16. #76  
    Quote Originally Posted by samiran View Post
    Yes, but....

    It needs to come with one of three things:

    1. Skype support. Unlikely.
    2. A *full* mic and cam API, so that indy developers can build compatible video chat clients.
    3. Qix support, so that you can talk to people on the EVO.

    Why? Video chat that only works among Pre users will be useless, or near useless. I love my Pre, but there aren't enough of us. This is the same reason that iChat AV doesn't do that well.

    The *best* bet will be some form of good A/V support in the API, and perhaps even in Flash. Flash has some decent video conferencing apps. Google Voice w/Video (libjingle) could be ported. H.323 would be a given. Fring or IM+ would be able to launch a client.

    The EVO's got a forwarding facing camera, and 3G/4G. The EVO will have Video conferencing that's linked into Jabber very soon. I imagine that Skype Video conferencing will not be far behind.

    Now, I probably won't dump my Pre for an EVO, at least not yet, however, if I can get high quality video conferencing in my pocket, with the ability to use either a facing or forward camera as needed, I will end up getting that phone. (The iPhone has the problem of being locked to chatting with other iPhones. I'm not sure if this will be fixed).

    The ability to "show" people video (preferably HD) in real time with your cellphone via Skype to a computer or other Skype Video supporting device cannot be over-hyped. This will be invaluable in all non-office jobs, and particularly so in fields like construction, real-estate, remediation, media-services, news reporting, health care, manufacturing, and agriculture.
    The Evo has the ability to Skype through the use of app called Fring which is a alternate ff cam app... it now has Tango and yahoo which are cross platform video chat apps.
  17. #77  
    Quote Originally Posted by samiran View Post
    Yes, but....

    It needs to come with one of three things:

    1. Skype support. Unlikely.
    2. A *full* mic and cam API, so that indy developers can build compatible video chat clients.
    3. Qix support, so that you can talk to people on the EVO.

    Why? Video chat that only works among Pre users will be useless, or near useless. I love my Pre, but there aren't enough of us. This is the same reason that iChat AV doesn't do that well.

    The *best* bet will be some form of good A/V support in the API, and perhaps even in Flash. Flash has some decent video conferencing apps. Google Voice w/Video (libjingle) could be ported. H.323 would be a given. Fring or IM+ would be able to launch a client.

    The EVO's got a forwarding facing camera, and 3G/4G. The EVO will have Video conferencing that's linked into Jabber very soon. I imagine that Skype Video conferencing will not be far behind.

    Now, I probably won't dump my Pre for an EVO, at least not yet, however, if I can get high quality video conferencing in my pocket, with the ability to use either a facing or forward camera as needed, I will end up getting that phone. (The iPhone has the problem of being locked to chatting with other iPhones. I'm not sure if this will be fixed).

    The ability to "show" people video (preferably HD) in real time with your cellphone via Skype to a computer or other Skype Video supporting device cannot be over-hyped. This will be invaluable in all non-office jobs, and particularly so in fields like construction, real-estate, remediation, media-services, news reporting, health care, manufacturing, and agriculture.
    Tango Video, Knocking Video, etc. – There are quite a few video conferencing applications that are cross-platform. Tango Video, the newest to the market is actually really really nice and looks almost identical to Apple's FaceTime. It works iPhone <--> Android.
  18. #78  
    it's not needed on a mid-tier intermediate device like the pre deuce, but it is necessary on Palms flagship phone when it comes out.
  19.    #79  
    Quote Originally Posted by kinster02 View Post
    The Evo has the ability to Skype through the use of app called Fring which is a alternate ff cam app... it now has Tango and yahoo which are cross platform video chat apps.
    I don't think Fring supports Skype on Android anymore. Tango and yahoo are nice, but Skype has become a new standard in video conferencing.
  20. #80  
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Actually I don't. I have one on my previous notebook and now my netbook, but I've never used it.
    Same here, I have it on my notebook and PC, but don't use it. Plus I don't really think I want to stand (or sit) there holding my phone away from my face in a manner that someone can see me on a regular basis. It just doesn't sound comfortable. Maybe if it had a kickstand or something to set it on a table, but still, just doesn’t sound all that great.

    Having said that, I do think a front camera should be included, if for nothing else but to say, so what, my phone can do that too.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions