Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    I think it's a pretty cool feature and wouldn't mind having it. As far as it being a must have, I agree with the ppl who say it's a must have, because the two "IT" phones have it right now! God forbid anybody bring a phone to market that doesn't have what the new fruit phone has. It would be immediately dismissed in the media.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spader View Post
    As a selling point? Yes. Would I care if was there or not? No.
    ^This is important and I agree.
    Our next phone must be better than EVo and the iPhone combined. It must be the yardstick to which all phones will be measured when its released. It must be a screaming machine, hot to look at, and the envy of everyone that see's it.
    Quote Originally Posted by teejay69 View Post
    Our next phone must be better than EVo and the iPhone combined. It must be the yardstick to which all phones will be measured when its released. It must be a screaming machine, hot to look at, and the envy of everyone that see's it.
    Seeing as how it will still be a Palm machine to some degree, it would be nice if it did all the things it was supposed to do, when it was supposed to do them, as well as any claims about it say it's supposed to. That would be a refreshing change after almost a decade of sub-par, or at best mediocre quality from Palm.
    I think I would like one just to take better pictures of myself. That's about it.. Video conf I don't think I will ever use it nor ever pay for it.
    Back when I had a Palm Vx, one of the most popular apps was Mirror. It just turned the screen black, so you could see your reflection. It is a novelty but if we don't have it, we will lose some customers. There could be a an unforseen viral application that uses it and Palm owners would be left out.

Put one in.
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    If you think of the some of the current attributes of Palm's market approach and now HP's, one common gound is 'reach'. With Palm's European market presence and HP's global scale, the vision for the next Palm/HP effort will be a phone not just for North America. That said, FF cameras are a popular feature in the European market, so therefore I would exect to see this as a feature included in furture devices.
    Great point. I for one wouldn't mind having the FF camera,but as many others pointed out; it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me if it wasn't the next model. I personally would care to see more done about a juiced up cpu RAM,frequency, HD, bigger keyboard,and a more durable, tougher smarty pants phone and larger screen.
    if you want to keep up with the times you betta..
    Chatroulette app. haha
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Not only should Palm include a front-facing camera from now on but they should also make it compatible with Face Time since Apple has said it will make it an open standard. There's no point in a webOS device having a front-facing camera if there's nobody to talk to or if everyone you want to talk to is using an iPhone.
    or Skype could develop us a proper application and we can skype with webOS. being able to facetime with my iOS friends would be neat but i'd rather be able to skype.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Not only should Palm include a front-facing camera from now on but they should also make it compatible with Face Time since Apple has said it will make it an open standard. There's no point in a webOS device having a front-facing camera if there's nobody to talk to or if everyone you want to talk to is using an iPhone.
    That's what's so great about Palm/HP...they're not tied to any one's standard. They could make a FF camera that could operate with iPhones and Android devices...let the other's battle out standard supremacy and play ball with them all.

My other thoughts about the next Palm device is that I have a feeling it's development may have been solidified before the HP purchase and that for streamline of development and lack of resources at the time (as solely Palm, Inc.), a FF camera was probably not in the design or sacrificed. But I do see a rapid development of HP-ized Palm devices shortly thereafter and in rapid succession. The potential is that we can see webOS devices with the best/innovative features of a BlackBerry, Android and iPhone incorporated. With HP's resources and financial backing, a killer-app feature by a competitor could spell an equal webOS device within a financial quarter....only drawback here is the likelihood of fragmentation.
    Video Calling is one thing i had to give up for the Palm Pre.... Itīs really amazing to call people and see them... But the iphone does not have the video call function that i know... with the iphone you can only make a video call to an other iphone, and only using the wlan. With my old samsung device i could call any device with a front camera only using the same cellular net as me. I live in Germany, and i use Vodafone. With Vodafone Video Calls are for free... so i hope next Palm device will have a front camera, witch we can use like we know from old phones of motorola samsung or nokia. And not like the front camera on the iphone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    ...after almost a decade of sub-par, or at best mediocre quality from Palm.
    Sub-par? Mediocre?

Have you never used a Treo 650 before in your life?

That device was, and STILL is the greatest piece of mobile machinery ever invented. My 650 could do things 5 years ago that Apple is barely considering implementing in their iPhone 16 in their deep underground R&D labs today. I would still be using my 650 if I wasn't a developer for WebOS (and switched to Sprint from ATT for the Pre).

IMHO: The Treo 650 is way better than the Pre is today (or iPhone will be tomorrow). PalmOS (Garnet) was one of the most stable and intuitive Mobile OS's i've ever used. It truly didn't need ANYTHING 3rd party to run. WebOS requires user-created patches just to have it in a comfortable, daily-usable condition.

Don't get me wrong: I love WebOS (even with its quirks), but there's no way in bloody hell anyone can get away after saying "Palm has done a mediocre job for the last 10 years..."

/endrant
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    That device was, and STILL is the greatest piece of mobile machinery ever invented. My 650 could do things 5 years ago that Apple is barely considering implementing in their iPhone 16 in their deep underground R&D labs today. I would still be using my 650 if I wasn't a developer for WebOS (and switched to Sprint from ATT for the Pre).

IMHO: The Treo 650 is way better than the Pre is today (or iPhone will be tomorrow). PalmOS (Garnet) was one of the most stable and intuitive Mobile OS's i've ever used. It truly didn't need ANYTHING 3rd party to run. WebOS requires user-created patches just to have it in a comfortable, daily-usable condition.

/endrant
    Totally agree. Which makes their current situation all the more perplexing. They totally led in Smartphone development - had years on all the players, and ten years on Apple.

What happened?

During all the strum und drang at Palm over the past three years, it never occurred to me that the next phone they released would go *backwards* in features. In my WORST case scenario, it was going to at least match the best of what they had, in a nice new form factor.
    I could care less about a front facing camera, but it should have one if only to shut people up from saying it doesn't.
    If for video conferencing type of functionality, I think the tech behind it has a ways to go before it can actually perform on a consistent basis. Currently, it's choppy at best, if even that.

Is it a must? Not to me but it'll get blasted by the press, etc if it doesn't have one.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Quote Originally Posted by mrkalel View Post
    Its def not a MUST have... but any shortcoming or missing feature compared to the competition will be blasted by the press, and come fans alike...
    Exactly. So it's gonna be needed but not a must have for me.

Samsung Fascinate Rooted
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    It's not a must on a personal level, but in the marketing wars it is essential.
    I don't care about a front facing model, but the phone better be good and it better be written about or previewed by Christmas time or else I'm leaving the sweet WebOS for Android, specifically, Sprint's Galaxy S model.
    Would definitely like to see it on the next palm :-)
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast