Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    This is why the Palm devices are always a year behind. IT may not be a "Needed " feature BUT the EVO and Iphone and alot of new phones will have this feature. Its the in feature. If a phone want to be a success you need the IT features even if they are silly. Perosonally I think these camera are way cool. And thats the way a majority of people see them. There not needed but they are a selling point. I mean your goal is to "Sell" the phone not only have practical features. People love movies that have the Big explosions etc , same with cell phones. Features are king.
    Last edited by VaccPalm; 06/07/2010 at 08:20 PM.
    As a selling point? Yes. Would I care if was there or not? No.
    No. Get more apps and forget about more camera. If you want a camera buy one. Next thing people will want it to clean your house.
    Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    This is why the Palm devices are always a year behind. IT may not be a "Needed " feature BUT the EVO and Iphone and alot of new phones will have this feature. Its the in feature. If a phone want to be a success you need the IT features even if they are silly. Perosonally I think these camera are way cool. And thats the way a majority of people see them. There not needed but they are a selling point. I mean your goal is to "Sell" the phone not only have practical features. People love movies that have the Big explosions etc , same with cell phones. Features are king.
    I agree. Bring on the features!
    Hey if that what the people are buy thats what you put into the phone. Palm phones always are year behind in features. I mean jeez my Treo still had an antenas. People wanted phones with no antenas,. Th Palm cameras were always not up to par with the cameras of the competition. Now its 8MP thats standard. you cant release a cell phone with less if you want to sell it. Doesnt matter that the difference between 5MP and 8 MP is nothing. It doesnt matter if its silly or not. You have to put in the features if you want to sell a phone. If you dont release a phone. Even If I did not like front cameras I would say HP needs to have one. there in desperate shape and need a phone that is a seller not a phone that sits on the store shelf while the customer moves on to the next phone at the Verizon store becasue it has a front camera.

Quote Originally Posted by NoResults View Post
    No. Get more apps and forget about more camera. If you want a camera buy one. Next thing people will want it to clean your house.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I still think they're a waste... a gimmick feature that people will use for the first couple weeks, and then the novelty will wear off quickly.

But if it attracts more people to whatever the next device is, then sure, put it on.
    Completely agree. I remember when the first UMTS phones came out in Hong Kong several years ago, ALL of them had cameras on the front, and all the carriers made a big sell on video calling and such. That was like more than 5 years ago. Up till today, I barely see anybody using video calling, and the later UMTS phones got rid of the front camera altogether, it just didn't caught on.

I much rather Palm spend more time in perfecting other aspects of the hardware rather than trying to fit a front camera that people may use it for one call and that's it.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    If all the other phones have it, then Pre2 (or whatever) will have to have it too. Otherwise will get lambasted like the 755p not having wifi. (Although I would have to add that wifi is actually useful).
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Global Posts
    186 Global Posts
    Gimmick. NWTE.
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by jjeffcoat View Post
    If all the other phones have it, then Pre2 (or whatever) will have to have it too. Otherwise will get lambasted like the 755p not having wifi. (Although I would have to add that wifi is actually useful).
    You guys remember when the 755p came out without WiFi? A lot of people were saying who needs WiFi? It is a dying technology... It consumes too much battery and EV-DO works better... People justifying Palm for not having WiFi. Now, everything has WiFi. Now front-facing camera is one of those things that you would not want if you don't use cameras at all or you have nobody to call that would like to see your face. So yeah, that would make sense.

However, there are times when talking to some body they are trying to describe you something which would be best if they can actually show you what it is. So a camera would work really great.

We can also argue about Bluetooth, who needs it? How many times a day do you use it? I only use it when I drive, so I could say they might as well not have it, but it is a nice feature.
    Global Posts
    186 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoRock View Post
    However, there are times when talking to some body they are trying to describe you something which would be best if they can actually show you what it is. So a camera would work really great.
    Yeah, it would be great if somebody could incorporate a camera into a mobile device...oh, wait, they all have a camera. We're talking about a front-facing camera, which is really only useful for this "video chatting" thing that trend-gobbling yupsters think they want to do but won't really.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I still think they're a waste... a gimmick feature that people will use for the first couple weeks, and then the novelty will wear off quickly.

But if it attracts more people to whatever the next device is, then sure, put it on.
    just like the novelty of texting would wear off??
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnydigital View Post
    just like the novelty of texting would wear off??
    Who ever claimed that texting would be a novelty though?

In fact, texting and video are really at opposite ends of the spectrum. Texting is MORE convenient because you can send a quick message without having to deal with the other person, which can be helpful sometimes. Video calling is less convenient, because not only do you have to talk to the person, you have to be comfortable with being seen at the time.
    I don't see myself using it.
    Just call me Berd.
    People couldn't see having the full fledged internet at your fingertips back in the 90's and look at us now. Just give this time. This will be on every major smart phone in four years max.
    Maybe... but not needed for the Next WebOS device.
    Right now it would only be a Wow feature, and then rarely used.

Maybe in 2-4 years, but not the next Pre.
    Just call me Berd.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Must have feature for myself
    use skype a lot so i need that on my phone

I can't remember a time when I didn't exist, I will not remember a time when I cease to exist.

In my eyes, I am immortal.
    I think yes in this day and time. You got alot of freaks out there who like stuff like this ( me to ) doing the long distance dating thing . And what about parents with kids in college who want to see childs face as well to hear them.
    I want the next Pre to have it. Great for talking to my toddlers when I'm away from home on business.
    If you think of the some of the current attributes of Palm's market approach and now HP's, one common gound is 'reach'. With Palm's European market presence and HP's global scale, the vision for the next Palm/HP effort will be a phone not just for North America. That said, FF cameras are a popular feature in the European market, so therefore I would exect to see this as a feature included in furture devices.
    I would love to have the capability of video calling in my next phone. Video call plus skype integration would be great!

Having said that, I don't know if it would be a must have feature that would prevent me from buying a next gen webos handset if it didn't have a front facing camera...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast