Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    all of you in the us of a talking about a pre 2, when us in the uk still haven't seen a pre or pixi plus...
    It should be caled the HPalm Post because it comes after HP bought Palm...
    Hmmm, IF the Pre 2 comes out in July - after the Evo in June and the Pre Plus with AT&T in June their timing doesn't seem to be that great - especially if for Sprint customers it will only be a Pre Plus.
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    First, we should all keep in mind that there were absolutely zero leaks about the Pre and webOS prior to CES 2009. So, Palm has demonstrated that they're entirely capable of keeping a secret when they want to.

Second, it does make some sense that they'd release on Sprint first, simply because Sprint is the only carrier currently offering live 4G in significant parts of the country. The exclusive could therefore be merely administrative, and they'll roll out 4G versions for LTE as soon as it makes sense (i.e., once other carriers have it available).

Third, releasing Sprint in June/July doesn't interfere with the Pre Plus/Pixi Plus on AT&T for the reason cited in #2 above. Making the next gen a 4G device gives Palm an excuse to delay its release on AT&T, Verizon, et. al. and lets them (hopefully) clear out some of the backlogged inventory by that time. Or, if the next gen device does release sooner on other carriers, the Pre Plus could be the mid-range device and the Pixi Plus the giveaway. AT&T's already familiar with this concept from the iPhone 3GS and 3G.

Fourth, I just love the name "Palm Prime." I think we should christen that the new rumored name and run with it.
    Actually, I just figured this was all really about the Plus becoming available on Sprint, not the "nextgen"; however, you've got me rethinking it...
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Actually, I just figured this was all really about the Plus becoming available on Sprint, not the "nextgen"; however, you've got me rethinking it...
    I wrote my prognostications prior to HP's acquisition of Palm. So, I'm now thinking that we might see the next-gen in the August timeframe, unless HP can pony up some promotional funds prior to closing the deal. Or, I suppose, Palm could simply use up whatever cash they have on promotions if they decide to release before the deal is final, but that would be pretty bold.

Regardless, I do think that Palm's ability to promote the snot out of this thing will determine when it's released.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    I wrote my prognostications prior to HP's acquisition of Palm. So, I'm now thinking that we might see the next-gen in the August timeframe, unless HP can pony up some promotional funds prior to closing the deal. Or, I suppose, Palm could simply use up whatever cash they have on promotions if they decide to release before the deal is final, but that would be pretty bold.

Regardless, I do think that Palm's ability to promote the snot out of this thing will determine when it's released.
    This. I don't think, however, that Palm will really use all of their remaining funds on advertising the new device, simply as a precaution against the possible (if unlikely) scenario of authorities forbidding the deal.
    Come August 1, Palm is going to be a part of HP's mobile division (or HP's new mobile division, even) and HP can put a billion dollars into advertising the ever-loving crap out of webOS 2.0 and the new device running it.
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    This. I don't think, however, that Palm will really use all of their remaining funds on advertising the new device, simply as a precaution against the possible (if unlikely) scenario of authorities forbidding the deal.
    Come August 1, Palm is going to be a part of HP's mobile division (or HP's new mobile division, even) and HP can put a billion dollars into advertising the ever-loving crap out of webOS 2.0 and the new device running it.
    That's what I meant about spending cash on promotions being a bold move. As I've thought about it a bit more, though, I'm guessing that it wouldn't be all that bold after all, simply because if the acquisition fell through I'm guessing that HP would simply shift gears and exclusively license webOS for some serious cash. I think their statements about webOS have been pretty unequivocal, and so even if the acquisition doesn't happen I'm thinking Palm has a pretty strong future with HP.

So, I say to Palm: drop this puppy and tell the world about it. What do you have to lose?
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    I've always thought that, if they go for a more high end look, it should be the Palm Premiere.

Either that or "Pre 2: Electric Boogaloo"
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Palm Prestige.

I think "Electric Boogaloo" might already be taken.
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    my $.02 = the sales person was talking about the pre/pixi+.

it will not be keyboardless, Rubenstein already said that idea is off the table
    I myself am quite taken with "Palm Prime" by the way. Can see myself buying that. But then again, I think I would buy the all-new Palm Sh|tstain too as I don't mind names all that much.

By the way, while Ruby has been on record as saying that keyboards are the way he's rolling, I am probably willing to bet an organ of your choice on HP releasing a touchscreen-only webOS smartphone at some point in the near future (i.e. before 2011 is over) simply because that seems to be what the market is gravitating to.
    When Palm were on their own, they were only able to produce and maintain very few different handsets - Pre and Pixi - and needed to make a decision on what form factors to come out with. As HP has enough money to spread webOS out to many more different handsets, they don't need to select anymore and can easily come up with one device for each form factor that folks seem to like. Portrait slider, Landscape slider, full-keyboard candybar, all-touchscreen 5" monstrosity, you name it, they can produce it. I'm not sure if they will go ALL possible routes, but I'm really really sure that there is a touchscreen-only webOS device in your near future. Or the far future, seeing how short the tech attention span is these days. But 2011 seems to be in the cards.
    Never know what will happen with Palm and their attitude towards keyboard-only devices now that HP is in the picture. If HP is planning on pushing WebOS onto a tablet, you know they will be working HARD on a touchscreen keyboard interface for that. So I can certainly see them applying that to a mobile device. I love my Pre, but I too am looking forward to seeing WebOS on a large screen device at some point. Companies like HTC are spitting out phones so fast they are making the whole market seem like every customer has ADD (the everything to everyone approach). I don't care if Palm has a virtual keyboard as long as they do it right and make it a solid and smooth acting interface.

How about the HPalm "Petra" (built like a rock)?
    I honestly love webOS and I love the pre's design. I just wish the internal hardware (like 32gb built in, FASTER processor etc...) would come through. I love the slide out keyboard. I hate on screen typing (the virtual keyboard is a nice touch though). All the patches have made this phone stellar for me. The average user: I could see some frustration.

But my positives:

-overclocked to 800mhz using Govnah
    -Mobile Hotspot (sweet so my employer cant monitor my internet surfing break time and so I can get work on my laptop everywhere and anywhere)
    -apps that I use and 3d gaming
    -Sprint's network. I live in Sacramento, CA its 3G everywhere, and if I go up to the mountains, I use my roam only patch and Verizon's got my back!
    -Patches... great community involvement. Customized my phone (esp the text) and it looks/runs flawlessly

I just hope they get a Pre 2 or something to that effect that maintains the same slide out design, but has a better processor, better build, and webOS 2.0. I am thinking about buying the EVO to flip on Ebay though. I just dont like the Android OS I personally find the widgets etc on the different devices I have tried... annoying quite frankly.
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Never know what will happen with Palm and their attitude towards keyboard-only devices now that HP is in the picture. If HP is planning on pushing WebOS onto a tablet, you know they will be working HARD on a touchscreen keyboard interface for that. So I can certainly see them applying that to a mobile device. I love my Pre, but I too am looking forward to seeing WebOS on a large screen device at some point. Companies like HTC are spitting out phones so fast they are making the whole market seem like every customer has ADD (the everything to everyone approach). I don't care if Palm has a virtual keyboard as long as they do it right and make it a solid and smooth acting interface.

How about the HPalm "Petra" (built like a rock)?
    Petra like Petra Nemcova comes to mind not a rock
    With all that has been going on with the company. I doubt we will be seeing any new phones before the end of the year. Maybe news late this year will start croping up, but it seems that HP will be focusing there efforts on a tablet throughout this year.

Just look at the overall use and publicity that has come out in recent months. Not much to start excitement, were just finding out about a update in the pipes to come a month from now.

Im not holding my breath, even thoe id love to see a new revision.

I think with the Plus being put on more markets, that is palm's current phone to stay for sometime. Why would they release a dated phone to a new provider when a new one was going to be coming out in a couple months timeframe. They simply wouldn't. Sadly, maybe our Pre 2, WAS the Plus. .

We can sit and hope that the plus won't come to sprint, but a Palm 4G type phone will come to Sprint and restart the cycle again.
    Im suprised no one has mentioned or suggested "Palm Premonition" . Now THAT would be a cool name!
    The palm dookie. Life comes at you fast. So does the call of nature. Keep on track with them both on your palm dookie.
    Hey, as long as it comes out within my 30-day return so I can exchange the EVO for this new phone, I'm a happy camper.

Though I'm sure Sprint wouldn't release a new phone so close to the EVO's release, to avoid exactly what I'm planning to do.
    This doesn't quite jive with Radio Shack's almost 70% discount on Palm accessories...
    Call it the HP Next
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast