Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Preemptive
  • 1 Post By palmpre06062009
  1.    #1  
    Hi all,

I'm trying to figure out how to remedy my situation.

Have a Palm Pixi for Verizon. I have a data package.

I have seen a lot about bypassing the activation to use the phone without data, but am checking on the following:

1. Is there a way to bypass the profile sign in process?
    2. If so, will the phone work just like it used to do so (with the exception of downloading the profile) so calls/text/data all is good to go?
    3. How would I do this if it is possible?

Thanks!
    What state is your phone in?
    • Currently working on the network?
    • ...and you plan to reset.
    • 'New' to you and not yet set up?

If working, then backing up should be your first concern.

Here is a summary on bypassing activation:
    Tip: How to Bypass Activation | pivotCE

If you phone is unlocked/network compatible and the SIM is already activated, mobile data should be OK.
    xandros9 likes this.
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    The servers of palm are gone, I got an "Access Denied"
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    What state is your phone in?
    • Currently working on the network?
    • ...and you plan to reset.
    • 'New' to you and not yet set up?

If working, then backing up should be your first concern.

Here is a summary on bypassing activation:
    Tip: How to Bypass Activation | pivotCE

If you phone is unlocked/network compatible and the SIM is already activated, mobile data should be OK.
    I just got a message saying the phone would restart and i would need to sign in to the profile. What is causing this "loss" of profile and restart? If i just bypass the activation screen, everything else should be fine, correct? All my installed apps and everything is there? Or everything got wiped out? Please clarify.

I have Palm Pre with Sprint 1.4.5 version. The phone is active on Sprint's network.

Thank you.
    Sent via HP TouchPad using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by palmpre06062009 View Post
    I just got a message saying the phone would restart and i would need to sign in to the profile. What is causing this "loss" of profile and restart? If i just bypass the activation screen, everything else should be fine, correct? All my installed apps and everything is there? Or everything got wiped out? Please clarify.

I have Palm Pre with Sprint 1.4.5 version. The phone is active on Sprint's network.

Thank you.
    I don't believe the phone lost the installed apps or anything. This is my reasonable guess based on the fact that when the phone rebooted it connected to my bluetooth as well as the phone was active on Sprint's EVDO network.

I just need to bypass the activation screen. I hope all my apps are still installed and nothing got erased. Can anyone please confirm? I will have to wait a while before I can bypass the activation screen.
    Two months ago i had used devicetool.jar to bypass activation for HP Touchpad for a friend of mine. Can i use the same file to bypass activation for my palm pre? Or is there a device specific devicetool.jar file? Thanks.
    Ok..I was able to bypass the activation screen. Seems all the catalog apps and home brew apps are gone. Is there an easy way to restore these apps? Please help.
    I would also make a note that only follow the "To bypass activation" section at the reference link Bypass Activation [webOS 1.x] | webOS Nation

Some people may follow the log in profile steps by mistake which obviously doesn't work and which created the need to bypass activation...some of these links are old and need to be carefully followed.

Thanks

Thank you.
    I don't know what causes this. I don't have any 1.x devices and never had this problem. I think it's some kind of memory reporting fault as some have written that the memory is NOT full when the error occurs. Your 'stuff' won't be there. Previously, account data and an app inventory was stored in the profile, allowing restoration and re-downloading of apps from the catalog. Now the servers are gone: No profile, no catalog.

At the time the shutdown was announced, several methods of backup were offered. I know you've been on this forum for a while. Did you make any backups? I used the easiest method which was Pattylands webform on pivotCE. I now have backup IPK's on disk and can sideload them with WOSQI/Preware if I need to in future.

Homebrew apps remain available as before. Some former catalog apps are now in the app gallery. It seems recent submissions have yet to make it into the feeds, so search,
    App Gallery | webOS Nation
    preware.pivotce.com
    Or via WOSQI / Preware.

I think the article states fairly clearly which instructions apply to which devices as they are in brackets after the links. The original webOS Nation articles apply to phones & are still valid. The idea that cellular connectivity won't work seems to just be based on Palm's assumption that initial setup will be on device using the first-use app, but any already active SIM card will work if compatible with the network or the phone is unlocked. The rest of the article summarises the steps needed to update the tool for the TP, links to file sources and the thread with simple, detailed instructions, but you say you've previously bypassed first-use on a TP, so...

I just thought of some questions, but I'll post them on the bypass thread.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 07/20/2015 at 11:41 PM.
    I don't know what causes this. I don't have any 1.x devices and never had this problem. I think it's some kind of memory reporting fault as some have written that the memory is NOT full when the error occurs. Your 'stuff' won't be there. Previously, account data and an app inventory was stored in the profile, allowing restoration and re-downloading of apps from the catalog. Now the servers are gone: No profile, no catalog.

At the time the shutdown was announced, several methods of backup were offered. I know you've been on this forum for a while. Did you make any backups? I used the easiest method which was Pattylands webform on pivotCE. I now have backup IPK's on disk and can sideload them with WOSQI/Preware if I need to in future.

Homebrew apps remain available as before. Some former catalog apps are now in the app gallery. It seems recent submissions have yet to make it into the feeds, so search,
    App Gallery | webOS Nation
    preware.pivotce.com
    Or via WOSQI / Preware.

I think the article states fairly clearly which instructions apply to which devices as they are in brackets after the links. The original webOS Nation articles apply to phones & are still valid. The idea that cellular connectivity won't work seems to just be based on Palm's assumption that initial setup will be on device using the first-use app, but any already active SIM card will work if compatible with the network or the phone is unlocked. The rest of the article summarises the steps needed to update the tool for the TP, links to file sources and the thread with simple, detailed instructions, but you say you've previously bypassed first-use on a TP, so...

I just thought of some questions, but I'll post them on the bypass thread.
    Thanks for information. Yes, all the apps were gone, but the app data was still there. I ended up doing the webos doctor since I couldn't get the uber kernel to install...verification error.

I have my device up and running, but need to install some of the apps.

I missed the opportunity to backup my apps as ipks for future downloads...tough luck.

If i create ipks using WQI, IPK Packager with the apps installed on my touchpad, would they install on palm pre? These were the apps that were compatible for all devices. Don't know.

Thanks again for the info and your awesome pivotce webpage.
    If anyone has Top Stocks and WiFi Media Sync for Palm Pre 1.4.5, please let me know via PM. Thanks. I bought these apps and didn't save them before the damn servers went down. Also, if someone has DrPodder (0.7.8 version) Thanks.
    Earlier versions of a couple of these apps are available here:
    Top Stocks Lite | webOS Nation
    Thread: Top Stocks
    Video:

drPodder Version 0.7.7
    drPodder HB | webOS Nation
    GuttenPodder is based on drPodder:
    GuttenPodder - Preware Catalog

May I suggest that you attempt to contact the developers and salvage these apps? Here is the thread:
    DEVELOPERS! Post here if your apps will be available after the HP Catalogue closes

Here is the contact page for wifi media Sync:
    Wifi Media Sync | Sync files wirelessly to/from your PC!
    Maybe they would host the IPK on their site (or any of the other options)?

If not, there is wifi file sharing:
    WiFi File Sharing - Preware Catalog
    It doesn't synchronise, but I think I may have used a syncing program with it. On windows, SyncToy is free. It definitely works over USB.

If you are interested in salvaging apps, why not join the app group?
    Apps, Apps, Apps!

I've PM'd you with more information.
    Earlier versions of a couple of these apps are available here:
    Top Stocks Lite | webOS Nation
    Thread: Top Stocks
    Video:

drPodder Version 0.7.7
    drPodder HB | webOS Nation
    GuttenPodder is based on drPodder:
    GuttenPodder - Preware Catalog

May I suggest that you attempt to contact the developers and salvage these apps? Here is the thread:
    DEVELOPERS! Post here if your apps will be available after the HP Catalogue closes

Here is the contact page for wifi media Sync:
    Wifi Media Sync | Sync files wirelessly to/from your PC!
    Maybe they would host the IPK on their site (or any of the other options)?

If not, there is wifi file sharing:
    WiFi File Sharing - Preware Catalog
    It doesn't synchronise, but I think I may have used a syncing program with it. On windows, SyncToy is free. It definitely works over USB.

If you are interested in salvaging apps, why not join the app group?
    Apps, Apps, Apps!

I've PM'd you with more information.
    Thank you so much for your help. I had reached out to the developer of TopStocks in the past, but no response.

The developers should have just put the apps in home brew category...no regulations..use it at your own risk. HP should have made a deal that they would give away these ipks once the catalog closes and people can use it as is at their own risk.,,All these BS regulations are making things difficult for the remaining community.

On the good side, I extracted TopStocks, drpodder (0.7.8 official version instead of 0.77 in Preware), QuickPost, and Sticher from my TouchPad into ipks and installed them on Palm Pre. They work fine. Getting the ipk_packager to open up in a normal window size as oppose to tiny bar was more of a challenge..but after 20 tries it opened up as normal window...If anyone wants these ipks, just PM me. Thanks.
    Preemptive likes this.
    I installed the WiFi File Sharing app from the Preware. It installed fine. I couldn't see the app icon. I tried to launch it from the Preware, but couldn't. So it seems like it is not for 1.4.5 webOS version. I removed it.

I hope somebody shares Wifi Media Sync 1.4 (for 1.4.5 webOS version; Palm Pre) ipk if they have it. I have reached out to the developer as well. Let's see what they say.

Is there an easy way to import contacts (*.vcf file) into Palm Pre?
    I installed the WiFi File Sharing app from the Preware. It installed fine. I couldn't see the app icon. I tried to launch it from the Preware, but couldn't. So it seems like it is not for 1.4.5 webOS version. I removed it.

I hope somebody shares Wifi Media Sync 1.4 (for 1.4.5 webOS version; Palm Pre) ipk if they have it. I have reached out to the developer as well. Let's see what they say.

Is there an easy way to import contacts (*.vcf file) into Palm Pre?
    Try opening it with Internalz Pro (maybe double check the file handling settings), or perhaps attach it as an email to yourself. Contacts will open and ask about importing. I know this works on single contacts at least.

You know someone is offering a Pre2 for free on here? If by any chance you're on a compatible network, why not make your life easier with the version that is at least partially supported?
    Try opening it with Internalz Pro (maybe double check the file handling settings), or perhaps attach it as an email to yourself. Contacts will open and ask about importing. I know this works on single contacts at least.

You know someone is offering a Pre2 for free on here? If by any chance you're on a compatible network, why not make your life easier with the version that is at least partially supported?
    Who is offering Pre2 for free? I am on Sprint. Not sure if it will work since it is not one of the approved devices. Thanks.
    Who is offering Pre2 for free? I am on Sprint. Not sure if it will work since it is not one of the approved devices. Thanks.
    FREE: Palm FrankenPre 2 (Sprint) & Accessories
    Thank you. I have reached out to the owner. Let's see if I get the response.

Frankenpre 2 would be nice i can get back some of the lost apps/functionality.

Thanks again.