Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Grabber5.0
  • 1 Post By Herrie
  1.    #1  
    Hello all,

Sorry of this is a repost.

OK so I made a goof and bought a new in box (never activated) Palm Pixi for Verizon off Amazon the other day and found out after the fact that the WebOS services have been disbanded. So is it impossible to set up the phone? If it is possible, how?

Additionally, what are the max capabilities of this phone's services. Can I download apps? Make calls? Text? Email? Etc.

Thanks
    It's no goof to buy a webOS phone. Yes, it's possible to do all those things. I don't have links handy, but someone will be along to post them. If you do a google search for devicetool.jar, I'm sure it will turn up - that will be needed to bypass Palm Profile activation and get into the phone. You'll need a could account from Hotmail/outlook.com or from Google for your contacts and email. For webOS 1.x, Hotmail may be your only cloud option for calendar, as Google shut down the calendr service that webOS uses, and it's only fixable on webOS 2.x, which doesn't run all that well on a Pixi+, though it does work (YMMV).
    coolmanqazi likes this.
    This link will walk you through the steps:
    Guide: Coming (Back) to webOS in 2014, Part 1 | pivotCE
    The Pre & Pixi in 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Marietti View Post
    Additionally, what are the max capabilities of this phone's services. Can I download apps? Make calls? Text? Email? Etc.
    Well, It's going to be more difficult, but everything you ask is possible. I'm no expert, but here is some info to start with.

I just had to cross out some of this article, but you can see where to "bypass activation" and that is the term you should use in your searches...
    Guide: Coming (Back) to webOS in 2014, Part 1 | pivotCE

And this:
    Bypass Activation [webOS 1.x] | webOS Nation (ignore the bit about not being able to make calls - it can be enabled)

We'll have to start getting together a definitive guide to activating devices without HP.
    Actually the bit about being able to send texts or make calls was always wrong as far as I know. There has never been an issue making calls on an activation-bypassed device. There is nothing you can't do on a bypassed 1.x device (aside from creating a profile, since that's no longer possible on any device ) that you could before when doing the activation normally, aside from the things that no longer work on 1.x in general due to backend APIs being shut down.
  6.    #6  
    Great! Thank you all for the reply!

So I got the phone and it is stuck in demo mode? I turned it on for the first time and it boots to the messaging screen. The gestures won't work, the only thing I can do is read a few sample messages, "text" people, and go back and forth within the app. I tried doing the option, symbol power reset but nothing works. How can I wipe the phone and get it to start from the activation screen?

Thanks,
    Alex
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Marietti View Post
    Great! Thank you all for the reply!

So I got the phone and it is stuck in demo mode? I turned it on for the first time and it boots to the messaging screen. The gestures won't work, the only thing I can do is read a few sample messages, "text" people, and go back and forth within the app. I tried doing the option, symbol power reset but nothing works. How can I wipe the phone and get it to start from the activation screen?

Thanks,
    Alex
    Look at this link:
    Bypass Activation [webOS 1.x] | webOS Nation
    have you got the phone in developer mode? Search the forums for dev mode. I forget the code. sorry. A lot of help I am !
    For Verizon (or any other CDMA phone) enter ##DEVMODE# using the phone dialer, and toggle the dev mode switch to on. Do NOT set a password. Reboot if prompted.

DOH that's only for 2.x devices. Devicetool.jar will put the phone in developer mode.
  10.    #10  
    The phone isn't in DEV mode. It's stuck on this worthless demo mode I can't even get to the dialer... sigh

Haha any thoughts?
    Have you tried holding down the power button & sliding the mute switch back & forth three times? That's the reset I know. I wonder how to get into demo mode? Maybe that info includes how to get out.. Though thinking about it, it would have to be something not easily done in the shop. Reset & battery pull? I'm just guessing now.

So was this a former demo model? Do you know the history? Can the seller give you info? If not, they may have breached terms if claiming to sell you a functional phone.

Maybe device tool will do it. Note: If you follow the link to the bypass activation article above, it will direct you to HP - which won't work now. Put the link into archive.org to find the devicetool.jar file.

Palm Support: Palm Pixi Plus for Verizon
    Last edited by Preemptive; 04/23/2015 at 09:56 AM.
    I know that for demo TouchPad, one would doctor to 3.0.2 then use devicetool.jar to bypass.

Likely he should doctor to highest version possible then devicetool.jar to bypass.
    This space for rent or lease. Inquire within.
    Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    I know that for demo TouchPad, one would doctor to 3.0.2 then use devicetool.jar to bypass.

Likely he should doctor to highest version possible then devicetool.jar to bypass.
    Or use Nova Device Installer right away (NDI)
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    wow, this thread derailed for the OP I'm afraid. Ok, If the phone is really in some kind of demo (not sure about this) you'll probably need to doctor it. Then, use devicetool.jar to bypass activation. If you search for these things, you will find them. That should get you to be able to use the phone.
    wow, this thread derailed for the OP I'm afraid. Ok, If the phone is really in some kind of demo (not sure about this) you'll probably need to doctor it. Then, use devicetool.jar to bypass activation. If you search for these things, you will find them. That should get you to be able to use the phone.
    With Nova Device Installer you just select the rootfs files, which firmwares to update and if you want to bypass activation, a lot quicker :-)

-- Sent from my TouchPad Go using Communities
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    With Nova Device Installer you just select the rootfs files, which firmwares to update and if you want to bypass activation, a lot quicker :-)

MOST people don't have NDI
    MOST people don't have NDI
    That could be changed ;-)

Preemptive likes this.
    I think the only way is to doctor it like creepingmee said. If you can't get one online and still need one, I have a copy of all the doctor files.
    Tungsten E, Palm T|X, Treo 700p, Pixi, Pre Plus, Pre 2, HP TouchPad 16GB, LG G2, Samsung Gear 2 Neo, LG G Flex2 Volcano Red, Samsung Gear Live, LG Smart TV 32LF595B