Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By 1whocs
  • 1 Post By Pilotovef
  1.    #1  
    I don't know if anyone's done this already, or if anyone still cares, but I thought it was pretty neat, so thought I'd share...

1) Install Classic.ipk, (WebOS app that creates an environment for PalmOS apps to run).

2) Download IBM jvm zip file, (PalmOS app that creates an environment within PalmOS for Java apps to run).

3) Using Internals and your PC, copy all .prc files from the .zip, (except for all the language packs you don't need), to media/internal/ClassicApps/install.

4) Find a .prc, (PalmOS), file explorer, (I used Resco, which I don't think you can buy anymore for PalmOS, but you can find free trial versions easily), and copy the .prc file to the same directory.

5) Download Opera Mini 3.1 low memory version from m.Opera.com, and copy .jad to media/internal/ClassicApps, (don't go all the way to /install like you did with the other files). If you can get a .jar, you won't need an internet connection to install it, but I think you can only get the .jad from Opera site.

6) Open Classic on your Pixi Plus. If IBM jvm installed properly, you'll see an icon for it. Don't go there yet, but first open your PalmOS file explorer, and go to the directory where you copied the Opera .jad. In Resco, it's called Virtual Disk (B. This is the same directory that Internalz calls media/internal/ClassicApps. Click on your .jad or .jar file, and you will see a quick message flash something about a transfer. Then click on the 'home' button for Classic, which will exit you from Resco.

7) Click on IBM java, and you will get a message about a midlet being installed. Confirm yes to install, but don't launch. Click 'home' again to exit IBM jvm.

8) Go to 'prefs' on your Classic home screen, and scroll down to 'IBM java VM', (touch scrolling works on most of classic, but not smoothly. There is an empty circle button on the bottom right of the screen which is a toggle from function buttons to directional buttons).

9) At the top of the screen, you will see [global preferences]. Click that to get a drop-down menu. One of the items should be 'opera mini 3'. Click that, and set settings thus: Check both boxes, 'use double buffering', and 'use high resolution coordinates'. Leave 'proxy' blank. Set memory maximum at 1mb, and set java stack overflow at 4kb. Then click 'done'.

10) Exit 'prefs' with 'home' key, and open Opera. There should be an icon for it on the home screen, or you can open IBM java, and highlight opera mini 3, and press launch. That's it.

If you get a blank screen sometimes when you open Opera, just hit the 'menu' button on the bottom, and 'go to start page', and it will be fine.

Opera 3 low-mem runs fast and smooth. I got the high-mem to install, and load a few pages before getting 'illegal something or other' message, and app shutdown. I got version 4.5 to install and load, but just froze. None of the other versions I've tried will load, but I don't know what I'm doing, so I wonder if someone who does know what they're doing might be able to come up with some tweaks or settings or something that could get some higher versions working.
    mtiberio likes this.
    Can you provide some screenshots?
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Morford View Post
    Can you provide some screenshots?
    Here you go. Also, I was wanting to post a link for the IBM jvm zip, but not sure if that would be ok. What do you think?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    that great news. you are working well? I'm ready to try it on pre2

Enviado desde la chingada, hasta allá!!
    Not a news. Did it almost 4 years ago
    mtiberio likes this.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilotovef View Post
    Not a news. Did it almost 4 years ago
    Click to view quoted image
    I had a feeling, but wasn't sure... Good work. Looks like you got the high-memory version. What settings?
    Can you please provide us with the files you used to install

Enviado desde mi MB860 usando Tapatalk 2
  8.    #8  
    I don't think I can legally post an official .ipk, so you're probably on your own as far as Classic, but I might be able to post the IBM .zip. I just wanted to get some confirmation here. If not, it's not too hard to find with a search. Besides those, it's just Resco Explorer .prc, which you can get a trial version of online.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1whocs View Post
    I had a feeling, but wasn't sure... Good work. Looks like you got the high-memory version. What settings?
    Also it's much easier to use Java Virtual Machine (JVM) for webOS.
    Java Virtual Machine (JVM) works on WebOS 1.45/2.0
  10.    #10  
    I messed around with Chomper JVM a couple of years ago, but didn't have the best results. I haven't checked that thread since, maybe it's come a long way. I'll check it out.

12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by joshua764 View Post

Here you go... There are .prc files in 3 of the 4 zips.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Quote Originally Posted by 1whocs View Post
    Here you go... There are .prc files in 3 of the 4 zips.
    because I follow the steps from the first post. just missing the ipk?

Enviado desde la chingada, hasta allá!!