Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By gavspen
  • 1 Post By Grabber5.0
  1.    #1  
    Hi,

I'm sure the information is here somewhere so forgive me, but I cant find it....

Having downloaded an app, how on earth do I get it on my (unlocked) Pixi Plus? It's an .ipk file. When I have the phone on my mac desktop I cant find any folders containing any .ipk files...of course not, it couldnt be that simple...so I dont know where to put it, or if it requires some installer or other.

Thanks in advance.
    Quote Originally Posted by gavspen View Post
    Hi,

I'm sure the information is here somewhere so forgive me, but I cant find it....

Having downloaded an app, how on earth do I get it on my (unlocked) Pixi Plus? It's an .ipk file. When I have the phone on my mac desktop I cant find any folders containing any .ipk files...of course not, it couldnt be that simple...so I dont know where to put it, or if it requires some installer or other.

Thanks in advance.
    The normal process is to download an app from a catalogue. As this is apparently your first post, you may be unaware that the security certificate for the app cataloge expired last year and needs to be updated.

If you click the link at the bottom of this post you will find a list of webOS related items. Follow the links under 'Legacy webOS' for instruction in updating the certificate.

Another option is the homebrew app catalogue, 'Preware' from WebOS-Internals. Follow that link to their site to discover how to install this. Preware can be used to install your IPK. You can also use a program called webOS Quick Install from Jason Robitaille - which you can use to install Preware.

So:
    Simplest method: webOS Quick install
    Most options: Update the official app catalogue and install Preware also.

Preware also lets you install a file browser (again from Jason Robitaille) called Internalz Pro. Opening an IPK with this will allow you to install it.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 01/30/2014 at 04:55 PM.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    The normal process is to download an app from a catalogue. As this is apparently your first post, you may be unaware that the security certificate for the app cataloge expired last year and needs to be updated.

I am aware of the catalogue and I have gotten apps from there. Since I was able to do that, do you still think my security certificate needs to be updated? Is it possible I somehow did it during some software update somehow? I know when I first got the phone I was prompted to download something or other.

If you click the link at the bottom of this post you will find a list of webOS related items. Follow the links under 'Legacy webOS' for instruction in updating the certificate.

Another option is the homebrew app catalogue, 'Preware' from WebOS-Internals. Follow that link to their site to discover how to install this. Preware can be used to install your IPK. You can also use a program called webOS Quick Install from Jason Robitaille - which you can use to install Preware.

But isnt the purpose of this site to download and install apps, and not all of them are "homebrew" apps, right? Even "non-homebrew" apps need "Preware"?

I had already downloaded webOS Quick Install And I cant get past the "There are no devices currently connected" error message.

So:
    Simplest method: webOS Quick install
    Most options: Update the official app catalogue and install Preware also.

Preware also lets you install a file browser (again from Jason Robitaille) called Internalz Pro. Opening an IPK with this will allow you to install it.

As I say, I cant get webOS Quick Install to work. Any other thoughts?

This is some pretty obscure stuff!!
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    Following the links you suggest I can find information regarding the "root certificate" but nothing about the "security certificate".

Heavens!
    gavspen,

What exactly are you trying to install?
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    gavspen,

What exactly are you trying to install?
    A .ipk file. Specifically "com.ecreondesigns.subwaymap_0.4.0_all.ipk"
    Ok thanks

I would suggest using this article for the first part of getting everything ready to install (ie: putting device into Dev Mode, getting WOSQI set up) and then once you get down to the section called "Install apps on your device", do the following:

1) click on the Green "+" symbol
    2) in the pop up box, find the ipk file on your computer you wish to install and select

Once installed, you can remove your device and run the app.
  8.    #8  
    Hi Newman,

I've seen that article and I run into problems here.....

PUT YOUR DEVICE INTO DEVELOPER MODE

In the Just Type bar (the transparent bar in card view - the 'home screen' - that says "Just Type"), type the following:

webos20090606

Where on the Pixi Plus is the "Just Type" bar?

Thanks
    When you have your phone on, just start typing. It will automatically start searching as you type (that's what "just type" is). Once you have typed the whole code in webos20090606 - it will pop up the Dev Mod icon for you to turn on and then close that screen.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    When you have your phone on, just start typing. It will automatically start searching as you type (that's what "just type" is). Once you have typed the whole code in webos20090606 - it will pop up the Dev Mod icon for you to turn on and then close that screen.
    Well, why didnt you say so sooner?

Thanks so much, that did it. Would it be advisable to turn Dev mode off now? Can I unwittingly do damage?

Thanks again
    HelloNNNewman likes this.
    It really doesn't matter if you leave it on or off. If you aren't going to use WOSQI again, you can turn it off. For most, they just leave it on because they will be doing something with the phone down the line and it's easier than having to remember to turn it on again.
    I always leave it on, and recommend everyone else does too.
    geekpeter likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by gavspen View Post
    I am aware of the catalogue and I have gotten apps from there. Since I was able to do that, do you still think my security certificate needs to be updated? Is it possible I somehow did it during some software update somehow? I know when I first got the phone I was prompted to download something or other.

But isnt the purpose of this site to download and install apps, and not all of them are "homebrew" apps, right? Even "non-homebrew" apps need "Preware"?
    It wasn't so hard after all, was it? ;-)

If the official app catalogue is working, then I expect you got the certificate as you say.

You can follow the same process with WOSQI to install Preware and that will then function like a second app catalogue - conveniently!

WOSQI can still be used to install apps posted here that have not been packaged up for Preware or submitted to the official app catalogue.

This, for instance: [Patch] webOS 2: Fix low YouTube quality

As HP just sold their webOS patents to Qualcomm. It remains to be seen what will happen to the Official app catalogue...