Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By guilledil
  1.    #1  
    I have a Palm Pixi Plus, just bought it new off Amazon, it's the Verizon model and I use Page Plus as my provider. I have and use wifi, I have a very limited amount of data that runs out real quick, I just use wifi.
    I'm trying to download apps. I have read the forum that says you have to use the "app catalog update" app and that you first have to change your date and time to before July 23, 2013. This seems to work for a lot of people, but it doesn't for my phone.
    If I try to download apps right now with the date correct, they download but fail to install. If I change the date off the network date, all apps fail to download, including the "app catalog update" app. I get farther when I don't change the date. Has anyone encountered the same problem? I like this phone, I just really want to have access to apps if at all possible...
    I have seen a few reports of this, but I have not had this problem. I'd love to get hands on one of these to investigate the issue.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    I have seen a few reports of this, but I have not had this problem. I'd love to get hands on one of these to investigate the issue.
    Do you think it's a device issue? should I get a replacement?
    Turn off network time, set date back, use software manager to install the app catalog update, let it install, set date back, turn network time back on, then reboot the phone. See if that helps.
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
    Quote Originally Posted by dhsensenbaugh View Post
    Do you think it's a device issue? should I get a replacement?
    No, I don't think it's a device issue. If you follow the steps exactly, it should work, but I've seen a few reports that it didn't. In a couple of posts, it was said a reboot after changing the time helped. A reboot just takes sooo long.
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 02/03/2014 at 05:52 PM.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Morford View Post
    Turn off network time, set date back, use software manager to install the app catalog update, let it install, set date back, turn network time back on, then reboot the phone. See if that helps.
    I'm not sure what "software manager" is. There's no icon for it nor is it in the launcher drop menu. But, using the app catalog, apps don't download when I set my date back. They fail to download, where on the current date setting apps download but fail to install.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    No, I don't think it's a device issue. If you follow the steps exactly, it should work, but I've seen a few reports that it didn't. In a couple of posts, it was said a reboot after changing the time helped. A reboot just takes sooo long.
    I'm fine with taking however much time it takes, hours even. But, my phone resets the date back to network date when I reboot the phone, so, no dice.
    I'm not sure what "software manager" is. There's no icon for it nor is it in the launcher drop menu. But, using the app catalog, apps don't download when I set my date back. They fail to download, where on the current date setting apps download but fail to install.
    If it's like my Pre, open the app launcher and go to the 'System' card. You'll see a bag like the icon for the app catalogue, but with an arrow on it: "Software Manager".

Also, you can probably stop the date from resetting on reboot by setting Aeroplane mode - it's probably updating off the network.
    That is exactly what the phone will do before you install the updated cirt.

Do this

set date to July 1 2013

goto app catalog and search for app catalog

download app catalog

set back to network time

reboot phone

I have done it that way literally dozens of times without issue.

hope this helps
    Quote Originally Posted by creepingmee View Post
    That is exactly what the phone will do before you install the updated cirt.

Do this

set date to July 1 2013

hope this helps
    In my case I had to exactly set the date to July 1 2013, another date would not work. Follow the steps described in the post
    Dell Axim X5 -> Palm Tungsten T -> Palm Tungsten T3 -> Palm Tungsten T -> Palm Treo Pro + MicroSD 4GB -> Palm Pre 2 (Lost it) -> Palm Pixi Plus -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Veer -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Pre 3
    Grabber5.0 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by guilledil View Post
    In my case I had to exactly set the date to July 1 2013, another date would not work. Follow the steps described in the post
    Very interesting.
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 02/03/2014 at 05:51 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by guilledil View Post
    I tried but I still failed to download anything.
    mine is palm pixi plus ATT GSM. It cannot download anything from catalog, it cannot update catalog.
  13.    #13  
    I have over 200 views and a lot of people replying, that's great, thank you all for your time.. But, no one, apparently, is reading my post. I know it's not a device issue now, because I have 2 phones now. Both are brand new Verizon make Palm Pixi Plus phones and let me now be very clear with what I have tried to do with both of them:
    Opened Date and Time card, turned network time off, set date to July 1, 2013, went into the App Catalog card, searched for "App Catalog Update," found the HP App catalog Update, clicked "download for free, ANNND...
    "Download failed: App Catalog Update"
    I've read the forums, this is what everyone says to do, but I have 2 phones now that I've done this with and it's not working. Someone suggested I put it in airplane mode to force my phone off network time, tried that, you can't access the app catalog to get the update while airplane mode is on, so I had to turn it off, and still the same issue comes up.
    A strange detail is that If I keep date current, apps download but fail to install. If I put my device on ANY OTHER day the apps fail to download, including the app catalog update.
    So, does anyone have any ideas about how I can fix my two phones?
    I have over 200 views and a lot of people replying, that's great, thank you all for your time.. But, no one, apparently, is reading my post. I know it's not a device issue now, because I have 2 phones now. Both are brand new Verizon make Palm Pixi Plus phones and let me now be very clear with what I have tried to do with both of them:
    Opened Date and Time card, turned network time off, set date to July 1, 2013, went into the App Catalog card, searched for "App Catalog Update," found the HP App catalog Update, clicked "download for free, ANNND...
    "Download failed: App Catalog Update"
    I've read the forums, this is what everyone says to do, but I have 2 phones now that I've done this with and it's not working. Someone suggested I put it in airplane mode to force my phone off network time, tried that, you can't access the app catalog to get the update while airplane mode is on, so I had to turn it off, and still the same issue comes up.
    A strange detail is that If I keep date current, apps download but fail to install. If I put my device on ANY OTHER day the apps fail to download, including the app catalog update.
    So, does anyone have any ideas about how I can fix my two phones?
    Try here:
    NEW in Box Pre3 - Last years app catalog certificate failing - URGENT Help please!