Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    Hello,

I have a Verizon Pixi Plus running WebOS 1.4.5.1 (I believe this is the version). Anyways is there a Map App that exists for the Pixi that actually gives your current location and can be used for directions? The built Maps gives my location 1 out of 20 times and if the wind is blowing the right way. I installed Google Maps 0.3.1 and that does not have your current location available. I saw that Google Maps gives directions but no Current Location...

Anybody have any suggestions or no reliable App exist for the Pixi?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fmhcom View Post
    Hello,

I have a Verizon Pixi Plus running WebOS 1.4.5.1 (I believe this is the version). Anyways is there a Map App that exists for the Pixi that actually gives your current location and can be used for directions? The built Maps gives my location 1 out of 20 times and if the wind is blowing the right way. I installed Google Maps 0.3.1 and that does not have your current location available. I saw that Google Maps gives directions but no Current Location...

Anybody have any suggestions or no reliable App exist for the Pixi?

Thanks
    Hi- I am also using a Pixi Plus with 1.4.5 and use Google Maps 0.3.1 by Jan Herman (big thanks to him!). It is an excellent app and it shows my exact location. Are you asking for the exact longitudinal and latitude coordinates? The app also gives me directions. I am not sure what you need more than that. Sorry if I have misunderstood.
    Another note - while various apps may be coded slightly differently, they are all subject to the location services of webOS, and for that reason, none is really more accurate than any other. The exception would be apps that only request low-precision locations, which would not be appropriate for a map application.
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brookie229 View Post
    Hi- I am also using a Pixi Plus with 1.4.5 and use Google Maps 0.3.1 by Jan Herman (big thanks to him!). It is an excellent app and it shows my exact location. Are you asking for the exact longitudinal and latitude coordinates? The app also gives me directions. I am not sure what you need more than that. Sorry if I have misunderstood.
    How do you get the Google Maps to show your location? The "Target" button is grayed out and I can not select that to get my current location.
    How do you get the Google Maps to show your location? The "Target" button is grayed out and I can not select that to get my current location.
    Hmnn--not sure what your problem is--my location is a "flashing blue dot" and seems to work flawlessly. Tapping the app automatically activates the GPS and the program just works for me. Have you tried uninstalling---restarting---and reinstalling it. There are so few Pixi Plus users here now that I did not know GM was not working for some. The only problem I have is sometimes the app is difficult to close out--but not a big deal. My phone is a Verizon but not with any data plan (i use wifi exclusively and make calls on pay as I go), and I have a free app called GPS Fix v 2.0.01 but not sure if that would make any difference to you.
    I think that happens when the app can't get a location (or only a poor accuracy location) from the location service. Cycling location services off and back on may help. If not, a reboot may. Not I didn't use the word 'should' or 'will' - I prefer not to when talking about the GPS on webOS devices.
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    I think that happens when the app can't get a location (or only a poor accuracy location) from the location service. Cycling location services off and back on may help. If not, a reboot may. Not I didn't use the word 'should' or 'will' - I prefer not to when talking about the GPS on webOS devices.
    Correction to the original posting. GPS Never worked on this phone. GPS is 1 in 20 on my GMS Palm Pixi Plus I am using with T-Mobile. This phone GPS has never worked which is why I tried Google Maps. On the GMS Pixi I have not tried Google Maps. Maybe tomorrow I will.

Here's what I did so far.

Turned ON Location Services as I had it turned OFF. When loading Apps that require it the App will ask and I will answer YES.
    Turned WiFi on.
    Took out the battery and let the phone sit for a few minutes then put the battery back in.

Makes not difference in either Map App on this Verizon Pixi. No Current Location is available.
    In the past I have also tried Data On and Off with WiFi on and Off and makes no difference.
    Ooh, I missed the Verizon part - they severely crippled the GPS in their webOS phones. I'm surprised to hear how bad the GPS in your GSM model is though - but I have no experience with the Pixi Plus at all. The GPS can definitely be troublesome, but usually a reboot takes care of it. I usually keep the GPS on, and rarely let it use WiFi also, as that only helps when you are not traveling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Ooh, I missed the Verizon part - they severely crippled the GPS in their webOS phones. I'm surprised to hear how bad the GPS in your GSM model is though - but I have no experience with the Pixi Plus at all. The GPS can definitely be troublesome, but usually a reboot takes care of it. I usually keep the GPS on, and rarely let it use WiFi also, as that only helps when you are not traveling.
    Well as I stated before, I have a Verizon Pixi + and the GPS works exceptionally well---I have been using this phone for about 2 years and it has been perfect. No reboots required for me!!
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brookie229 View Post
    Well as I stated before, I have a Verizon Pixi + and the GPS works exceptionally well---I have been using this phone for about 2 years and it has been perfect. No reboots required for me!!
    Update on the GPS situation with these two phones. On 01-03-14 both phones the GPS worked flawlessly. Could turn the Data On and Off, Reboot the phones and GPS always work. Next day neither phone GPS works. And every day I try once or twice and no go. The GSM Pixi can not get my location while the Verizon phone thinks I am always at the same gas station 25 miles away.

So neither one works. Good if the NSA is looking for me with the Verizon phone but that's it.