Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Alan Morford
  • 2 Post By brookie229
  • 1 Post By Alan Morford
  1.    #1  
    I got a Pixi+ several months back and have fun playing with it. I'm playing around with the idea of switching to it from my Pre3 TEMPORARILY just for fun. The Pre3 is amazing and I love everything about it but I never got in on the Pixi action back in the day and like I said I have fun with it.

How quickly will I come back to my Pre3? What will I miss the most that will have me clamoring for this guide Swap your Palm Profile between multiple webOS 2.x phones (homebrew) | webOS Nation to get back to the Pre3?

Should I upgrade the Pixi+ to webOS 2?
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $you$ $can$'$t$ $activate$ $a$ $profile$ $that$ $was$ $on$ $a$ $2$.$x$ $device$ $on$ $a$ $1$.$x$ $device$, $can$ $you$? $Or$ $do$ $you$ $plan$ $to$ $install$ $webOS$ $2$.$x$ $on$ $the$ $Pixi$?
    Pixi was a great device. I really liked it. Sadly my Pixi+ did the same Thing as all my Pres: The touchscreen does not react to input anymore.
  3.    #3  
    AH yes I had forgotten about the problems of going back to a 1.x profile. Hmmm. I found John Steffes' post webOS 2.1.0 Doctor for PixiPlus on Verizon, AT&T, and WR (ROW)/Pixi on Sprint! but it seems different than the tutorial I did. How-to: Meta-Doctor Part 1 – No Makefile editing | pivotCE My knowledge on meta-doctor is only enough to be dangerous...I might give it a shot.
    Follow me on Twitter
    Anecdotally and second hand, I thought 2.x on the Pixi was said to be the pits.

Hope you discover otherwise. I was thinking of doing what you're doing! Can find Pixis around here for next to nothing, such a fun form factor, and I got rafts of old 1150 mAh batts lying around yet!
  5.    #5  
    Well I hit the first road block. My Ubuntu install using wubi didn't work. Turns out it's not compatible with Windows 8.1. I didn't have time to build a USB stick last night. I might try again today.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Follow me on Twitter
  6.    #6  
    Well my Pixi+ is running 2.1.0 thanks to John Steffes. I haven't switched yet. I'm going to test it out for a while. I forgot that since it was never released there's no Uberkernel or Govnah! Hmmmm.
    Follow me on Twitter
    ananimus likes this.
    I never bothered to upgrade my Pixi+ to 2.x because I like the mini card view on 1.4.5 and also there are more patches and apps.
    For the fun of it, maybe it would be better to create a new profile and try the Pixi+ at 1.4.5. It's really a device that can make a lot of fun. Sadly they are very expensive over here. Otherwise I'd give it another try.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason2004 View Post
    I never bothered to upgrade my Pixi+ to 2.x because I like the mini card view on 1.4.5 and also there are more patches and apps.
    I remember upgrading my Pre+ to 2.1.0 years ago and thinking "where're all the patches?" But now there are plenty that were brought over from 1.4.5. Not ALL of them, of course. Some couldn't be because of the changes 2.1.0 introduced.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garfonso View Post
    For the fun of it, maybe it would be better to create a new profile and try the Pixi+ at 1.4.5. It's really a device that can make a lot of fun. Sadly they are very expensive over here. Otherwise I'd give it another try.
    Well I think my Pre+ came with 1.3.5.1 when I got it so I spent quite a bit of time pre-2.1.0. I WILL miss Uberkernel and Govnah but I was able to install pretty much all of what's in this thread The Big Patch Thread (TBPT) - Pre 3 and I have to say it's running really well.
    I'm going to backup the Pre3 and give it a go!
    Follow me on Twitter
    I am still using my Pixi + daily---I get many odd looks from people wondering what it is--I have considered modifying to 2.1 on many occasions but I find with the uberkernal and govnah my speed is great and I just don't want to give up the 1.4.5 that I run under. I am not a huge app gatherer so everything works great for me. I have no data plan with my carrier but hotspots in my area are EVERYWHERE. I still love the qwerty and in the 3 years I have had this device I have pulled the battery only once because of a freeze-up. I will keep using this great little phone until it dies I guess!!!!
    ananimus and Alan Morford like this.
  11.    #11  
    2.1.0 really is a lot nicer than 1.4.5 but for the Pixi+ it's not great. It's usable and I'm not clamoring for my Pre3 yet. I'm having fun with it! It's not the most stable though. I'm surprised that I don't really miss uberkernel or govnah. I've accepted that it's not as fast as my Pres and that's ok.
    Follow me on Twitter
    IMHO the speed of the CPU never was a major problem for webOS devices, I never noticed that much of a changed when overclocking (so I just stopped it). Memory is a much bigger issue, though, especially for 2.x. That's why I won't try 2.x on a Pixi. Had it on a Pre- which was not really usable for me anymore.
  13.    #13  
    Yeah I can see the memory issue. Some times this thing increases me with how fast it opens stuff up...and then slooooooooooooooows down randomly. Oh and my used Pixi Plus I got from ebay has the buzzing speaker issue. Great.
    Follow me on Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Morford View Post
    Yeah I can see the memory issue. Some times this thing increases me with how fast it opens stuff up...and then slooooooooooooooows down randomly. Oh and my used Pixi Plus I got from ebay has the buzzing speaker issue. Great.
    You can fix the memory issue by scripting a stop LunaSysMgr and start LunaSysMgr (at night) works for me...

Speed I use govnah and make the PixiPlus hum at 600MHz, there are ways to make a new kernel for the PixiPlus, nobody has but compare the kernel PrePlus 1.4.5 to PrePlus 2.1.0. Then isolate the differences then add that to the PixiPlus kernel 1.4.5 as the base and update it to 2.1.0...

I did this for webOS 2.2.4 on the PrePlus with the Pre2 2.1.0/2.2.4 sources, it is not as stable as it could be, but I am not a kernel guy...

For the Buzz in the speaker, it might be the cone needs to be fixed, I had that in my Veer, it got inverted and buzzed had to take it apart and revert it was not easy almost ripped the cone...
    Last edited by John Steffes; 12/13/2013 at 06:08 PM.
  15.    #15  
    If I knew how to script things I wouldn't need you, John! Can you walk me through that? I've been out of the webOS game for a while. You can use Govnah without a custom kernel? Do you care to share your settings? I'll have to find a Pixi Plus disassembly guide to check the speaker. Thanks for the tip.
    Follow me on Twitter
  16.    #16  
    I found a youtube disassembly video. Wow that is an easy phone to take apart. I checked out my speaker and other than being really dirty it didn't see inverted. I used some canned air to clean it all out and pushed on it to hear if the it would creak from the pressure. Didn't seem like there was anything physically wrong with it despite the fact I KNOW it's not working correctly. I put it all back together and fired it back up. Nothing was different, boo. I found a sale on ebay of Pixi speakers. So I bought one but it's coming from China so who knows when it'll get here. Hopefully I can fix it.

In other news I did a performance test and opened as many cards as I could. I have 22 cards opened at the "too many cards" warning. I waited a couple minutes and tried opening more. I got 2 more open before I got the warning again. Then repeated the steps and got a couple more open before the error came back. Like I said above, not fast but very usable.
    Follow me on Twitter
    I've always wanted to try the Pixi much like I'd love a Veer doubt I could use it long term because of the screen size but then it's not exactly a rubbish phone is it. Perfectly capable for such a small device.

If it were cheap I'd jump at it; plus it's kind of cute looking!
  18.    #18  
    I got a Verizon Pixi on ebay for less than $16...and I'm typing this on it right now! Also, I just picked up a used HP Veer on ebay for $40.
    Follow me on Twitter
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Morford View Post
    I found a youtube disassembly video. Wow that is an easy phone to take apart. I checked out my speaker and other than being really dirty it didn't see inverted. I used some canned air to clean it all out and pushed on it to hear if the it would creak from the pressure. Didn't seem like there was anything physically wrong with it despite the fact I KNOW it's not working correctly. I put it all back together and fired it back up. Nothing was different, boo. I found a sale on ebay of Pixi speakers. So I bought one but it's coming from China so who knows when it'll get here. Hopefully I can fix it.
    Well the part came today and I swapped it out. The whole process took about 10 minutes start to finish. You can see my picture of "fun" below. Ha! But hey! It worked! Speaker sounds normal.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Follow me on Twitter
    ananimus likes this.