Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By John Steffes
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    Hello,

I have two Pixi's now. An ATT (Unlocked) and a Verizon. How do I go about copying a built in application in ROM from one phone to another? The Verizon phone has the Mobile Hotspot application on it while the ATT does not.

I looked around on the phones and I saw there is a .Palm folder on the phone that appears to be something useful but with the folder structures I am unsure what is in them.

Any help would be appreciated. Its an app I would use like 3 times a year. Nice to have when you need it. I had USB Modem on my Treos and it was nice to have in a pinch.

Thanks
    Global Posts
    162 Global Posts
    edit:*** (sorry I missed the "built in application" bit, so this method probably won't work since built in apps are rarely in the catalog)
    If mobile hotspot is all you want the "FreeTether" app available in Preware is stellar. I'm not sure if it's Pixi compatible. But, you still might be ale to try it by downloading Preware "App Tuckerbox" which adds switches to Preware preferences allowing you to turn off device compatibility in Preware. ***end of edit

Use this method to copy the ipk file right after it's downloaded and before it's deleted. This will only work if the program has a working download in the HP catalog. I've used this method on my Palm Pre to make backups so it's not WebOS 3.0.n specific.

How To: Copy webOS 3.0 (Touchpad) apps purchased from app catalog (Linux CMD))
    Last edited by namgod; 11/24/2013 at 10:24 PM.
    Pilot 1000 w/5000 upgrade > Palm Pilot Pro w/2meg hand soldered ram > M130 > TX > VZPre+ oc1ghz webOS 2.1 +classic +flash +2.2.4 Bluetooth > VZPre 2 oc 1.2ghz webOS 2.2.4 (Super Verizon) > TouchPad 32gb LunaCE w/cyanogen dual boot > Motorola Bionic ( What the hell was I thinking?)the Bionic sucked > VZPre 2 oc 1.2ghz webOS 2.2.4 (Super Verizon) > BlackBerry Q10 > HP VZPre 3
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by namgod View Post
    edit:*** (sorry I missed the "built in application" bit, so this method probably won't work since built in apps are rarely in the catalog)
    If mobile hotspot is all you want the "FreeTether" app available in Preware is stellar. I'm not sure if it's Pixi compatible. But, you still might be ale to try it by downloading Preware "App Tuckerbox" which adds switches to Preware preferences allowing you to turn off device compatibility in Preware. ***end of edit

Use this method to copy the ipk file right after it's downloaded and before it's deleted. This will only work if the program has a working download in the HP catalog. I've used this method on my Palm Pre to make backups so it's not WebOS 3.0.n specific.

How To: Copy webOS 3.0 (Touchpad) apps purchased from app catalog (Linux CMD))
    You can also do this in Windows much easier. Just go into Windows and turn on "Show Hidden" and "Show System" files. I found the .ipk files when having problems with the Expired Certificate issue on the Verizon Pixi. I was looking in the Download Folder and saw the files there. I deleted them figuring they were corrupt but that wasn't the issue.

So from what I take it you can't copy an installed application from one phone to another. Even a built in one.

I did purchase PreWare for the Verizon Pixi but have not messed with it yet.
    The IPK for the webOS Mobile HotSpot app is part of the Doctor for Verizon...

So go to webOS Internals Doctor page down load the Verizon Pixi Plus 1.4.5.1 doctor:

WebOS Doctor Versions - WebOS Internals

The Doctor file is a JAR (a fancy ZIP file), use your favorite ZIP utility, and extract the verizon.tar file under resources.

Now expand the TAR file (with your favorite TAR utility might be the same as ZIP?), and you will find the IPK for the mobile hotspot...

FYI the Mobile hotspot app does alert the carrier that you are using a hotspot, where the app suggested above claims it does not, I am on Verizon and have a Free 5G hotspot, so I don't use the one above...
    namgod likes this.