1.    #1  
    Found this while trying to change permissions on a file using chmod.

So the commonly accepted fix seems to be, to dismount /usr and run fsck, then mount it again. However, since my Linux knowledge is a bit limited, i hope someone here would be able to address some of my questions and assumptions before i actually do anything

If i memboot a Pre+ and Novaterm in, would the system volumes and the disk utilities like fsck be readily available? Is there anything special for me to keep in mind?
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    Found this while trying to change permissions on a file using chmod.

So the commonly accepted fix seems to be, to dismount /usr and run fsck, then mount it again. However, since my Linux knowledge is a bit limited, i hope someone here would be able to address some of my questions and assumptions before i actually do anything

If i memboot a Pre+ and Novaterm in, would the system volumes and the disk utilities like fsck be readily available? Is there anything special for me to keep in mind?
    Well assume you mount -o remount,rw / and it is still read only?

By default root is read only, however one can change it read/write...

If you have a /usr read only sometimes a fsck will fix, the best I have done if via uimage mounts like doctors...
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
    Well assume you mount -o remount,rw / and it is still read only?

By default root is read only, however one can change it read/write...

If you have a /usr read only sometimes a fsck will fix, the best I have done if via uimage mounts like doctors...
    Thank you.

I just watched in amazement how everyone (even non-technical users), were able to edit the YouTube app scripts in Internalz, while i had patch in all of the new changes, no matter how minor. A quick google showed that most of the time, /usr becomes read-only as a result of a disk write error that fsck should be able to fix.

I guess i could borrow my mom's Pre+ and see what the default settings are...