Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by alanmorford View Post
    Interestingly enough I noticed that video plays at super low quality on the Pre 3 as well. The YouTube "app" in 2.2.4 is still forcing the video playback to what I like to call "turd" quality. I logged into YouTube on my desktop and set my quality settings to force HD. I then logged into youtube via Browser on my Pre 3 and ZERO videos will play or even LAUNCH the "app". The desktop-site for youtube in Browser is pretty much useless as all you get for the video is the dark "fuzz" screen. Clicking the play button in the middle of the video still on the mobile site on my Pre 3 just toggles the thumbs up, down, watch later + sign, and share bar. Signing out...doesn't change a thing! So NOW I'm having trouble with YouTube on my Pre 3...sigh. See what testing gets you? Good thing I'm doctoring to 2.2.5 after a successful test on my backup...tomorrow!
    Oh. So this is an emergency now? :S

Alright. I was going to go to bed in a few minutes, but you've changed my mind on that. I'll probably stay up till 2:30 while i work to finish up the stuff that's set aside with some bugs, so that i could take on YouTube this weekend with a clear conscience.

I've always wanted to rebuild the YouTube player, because UX-wise, it's very half-baked and not in line with the whole webOS experience, but it was always something that was the absolute last priority in my mind. Now that the existing app is irrecoverably broken (depreciated API), i guess it's time to do it right.

The goal would be to support all OS versions equally from the beginning, and take into account the existing patches that somebody is relying on... to make it fair and restore functionality as soon as possible. I guess there's nothing more to discuss now and will get back to this soon.

**sigh**
    MAMISHO likes this.
    I've always wanted to rebuild the YouTube player, because UX-wise, it's very half-baked and not in line with the whole webOS experience, but it was always something that was the absolute last priority in my mind. Now that the existing app is irrecoverably broken (depreciated API), i guess it's time to do it right.
    Is there any way to help you? Unfortunately my knowledge is very limited, so I don't expect that I am really able to help...

BTW:
    I just realized that it doesn't seem to be possible to patch any file that was edited. Yesterday I changed the the file yt-api.jsjsjs $and$ $now$ $I$'$m$ $not$ $able$ $to$ $install$ $any$ $patch$ $containing$ $this$ $file$. $Importing$ $the$ $original$ $file$ $doesn$'$t$ $help$ $and$ Reinstalling Default Applications? doesn't work on a Palm Pre Plus.
    Is there another way without using WebOSDoctor?

Edit:
    Ok, importing the original file into the correct folder DOES help. I missed one letter, so the original file wasn't in the right place :-)
    Last edited by Nafetz; 09/07/2013 at 04:29 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nafetz View Post
    Is there any way to help you? Unfortunately my knowledge is very limited, so I don't expect that I am really able to help...

[...]
    Well, once the very basic feature set is up and running, the same stuff that the original app had, we can all get together and discuss various UI and functionality aspects. And if we get a long list of "nice to have" features, we can prioritize and intertwine them for the sake of efficiency.

Some of the features i'm talking about are very basic, like being able to search video history, and sort it chronologically not by first view, but by last. Others are more difficult to implement, but not entirely "pie in the sky", like streaming content directly to disk, while having the read pointer be independent of the write pointer, keeping track of downloaded sections/timing and resuming interrupted downloads. This way one would minimize bandwidth use, since watching a file twice on a flaky connection will not require three 45Mb downloads. But of course, easiest stuff first, piggyback off of existing web-facing APIs and built-in functionality. One of those days we could match the offerings youtube.com, with webOS-style usability, and that's pretty much the end goal.

That said, the fact that Google expects to have 100% control over its web APIs, means that our app will break periodically, and users will have to contend with "turd-like" video quality for a few hours while we are catching up to their changes, hopefully only once a year.
    MAMISHO likes this.
    Also, the way many of us can help, if you already use Chrome as your browser, is to set plugins to "click to play". So rather than playing automatically, YouTube videos will show up as grey rectangles. Any video that does play automatically at this point is using YouTube's HTML5 player and resolves the video's URL on the server side, with the stream being sent as an mp4. The regular Flash-based player does some of its own calculation, but requests a FLV file.

The HTML5-friendly pages can be forced either way, and if i can collect enough of them, i may be able to find the pattern faster, so that we would obtain the file format we can actually use. Ten of those pages may be enough, and i already have one

I'll also look for a possible way to force those to come up, even if the server prefers Flash.
    MAMISHO likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    Well, once the very basic feature set is up and running, the same stuff that the original app had, we can all get together and discuss various UI and functionality aspects. And if we get a long list of "nice to have" features, we can prioritize and intertwine them for the sake of efficiency.

Some of the features i'm talking about are very basic, like being able to search video history, and sort it chronologically not by first view, but by last. Others are more difficult to implement, but not entirely "pie in the sky", like streaming content directly to disk, while having the read pointer be independent of the write pointer, keeping track of downloaded sections/timing and resuming interrupted downloads. This way one would minimize bandwidth use, since watching a file twice on a flaky connection will not require three 45Mb downloads. But of course, easiest stuff first, piggyback off of existing web-facing APIs and built-in functionality. One of those days we could match the offerings youtube.com, with webOS-style usability, and that's pretty much the end goal.

That said, the fact that Google expects to have 100% control over its web APIs, means that our app will break periodically, and users will have to contend with "turd-like" video quality for a few hours while we are catching up to their changes, hopefully only once a year.
    So the problem of the broken search is solved, by replacing video format; but the LOW QUALITY of video stay, and it's not possibly solved by a skilled programmer, due to GOOGLE policy?

thx for the reply
    Before finally going to bed, i googled the current issue, and it mentions some people recently migrating to the newer version of the youtube feeds API, so i will look into that first, before doing any reverse-engineering. After all, we still have that old API key issued to Palm, and if that's deemed acceptable, we may be able to get the crappy old built-in app running again in only a few hours, and then rebuild from scratch at a much slower pace
    Quote Originally Posted by alanmorford View Post
    Doesn't seem like we need any more confirmations that this is indeed device/webOS-wide of an issue but here goes anyway: Pre 3 on 2.2.4 is unaffected (it doesn't use the app but rather links to the mobile site). Pixi Plus running 1.4.5.1, Pre Plus with 2.1.0, and Pre 2 with super-2.2.4 (contains the app) all cannot return search results.
    I can confirm low-quality YouTube videos on a Palm Pre Plus running webOS 2.1, and a Palm Pre 2 and 3 on webOS 2.2.4.

(Though installing this patch to an emulator made things worse, because even the videos on the start page didn't load. I didn't try on my real Palm Pre, so I don't know if this may be an emulator bug.)
    AfaikAfaikAfaik $the$ $emulator$ $does$ $not$ $support$ $video$ $playback$.
    Apps (they're all free now): Explorer for Dropbox – a Dropbox app for webOS that actually works (TP+phones), 3-panel-interface
    File Explorer – fast and simple file manager (root support on webOS 3)
    QuickChat for Facebook – real-time Facebook chat (broken)
    Archive Manager – extract and create archives (zip, rar, 7z, …)
    FTPit! – full-featured FTP client for webOS
    e-mail (contact, support) – if you like what I'm doing, feel free to (alternatively in USD)
    is this somehow an ongoing continuation of other issues from this older thread?

YouTube videos not opening
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    Quote Originally Posted by sbrista View Post
    So the problem of the broken search is solved, by replacing video format; but the LOW QUALITY of video stay, and it's not possibly solved by a skilled programmer, due to GOOGLE policy?

thx for the reply
    Well... After we'll upgrade the existing app to the new API, video quality will be fine. But the original API is not coming back, and has been retired.

@geekpeter,

Maybe. I assume this time the problem is final and affects everyone, unlike previously, where only a handful of people experienced some issue
    Oh. So this is an emergency now? :S

Alright. I was going to go to bed in a few minutes, but you've changed my mind on that. I'll probably stay up till 2:30 while i work to finish up the stuff that's set aside with some bugs, so that i could take on YouTube this weekend with a clear conscience.

The goal would be to support all OS versions equally from the beginning, and take into account the existing patches that somebody is relying on... to make it fair and restore functionality as soon as possible. I guess there's nothing more to discuss now and will get back to this soon.

**sigh**
    damn, i thought everything worked fine but yeah the actual playback quality on my pre3 is pretty dire, sometimes the audio is fine and video sucks and others both suck horribly, i just didnt notice originally when i first tried and assumed all was well.

seems thats not the case.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    Ok my Pre 3 DD unborked itself today which is nice. On my desktop I logged into YouTube and set my playback settings to always show HD when available. Then on my Pre 3 I logged into youtube and clicked on an HD movie trailer. Still played in low quality. Bummer. On a side note I repackaged the ipk of the YouTube app that comes on the super-pre2-2.2.4 script and installed it on my backup Pre 3 and it "works" fine. At least, you can watch turd quality video and searches yield 0 results...
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
    Today I've worked on a patch for the low video quality, the first version has just been released here: [Patch] webOS 2: Fix low YouTube quality

Update: The patch now has a webOS 1.4.5/2.1 version which includes the missing-search-results-fix from Nafetz.
    Last edited by pcworld; 09/09/2013 at 12:10 AM. Reason: update
    Apps (they're all free now): Explorer for Dropbox – a Dropbox app for webOS that actually works (TP+phones), 3-panel-interface
    e-mail (contact, support) – if you like what I'm doing, feel free to (alternatively in USD)
    MAMISHO likes this.

BTW:
    I just realized that it doesn't seem to be possible to patch any file that was edited. Yesterday I changed the the file yt-api.jsjsjs $and$ $now$ $I$'$m$ $not$ $able$ $to$ $install$ $any$ $patch$ $containing$ $this$ $file$. $Importing$ $the$ $original$ $file$ $doesn$'$t$ $help$ $and$ Reinstalling Default Applications? doesn't work on a Palm Pre Plus.
    Is there another way without using WebOSDoctor?

Edit:
    Ok, importing the original file into the correct folder DOES help. I missed one letter, so the original file wasn't in the right place :-)
    Here also is a collaborator , but I was thinking of an app from enyo2, well the truth is that applications do not have good speed enyo in webOS 1.4.5, but would serve to later versions, a while ago I was trying to make a youtube app, but the work is great.
    Hi guys. New to this forum, found it while looking for a solution to this problem. Glad to know its not just me having problems. ^-^ I'm kinda useless in the whole helping-you-all-solve-this thingamajiggy, but if there's a way I can help, I will. I have a Palm Pixi running 1.4.5.1 and the problem is, like everyone else, the terrible quality of the youtube videos. Also, history and search do not work. Loaded videos work, ie by USB mode. And I don't know if this is related, but when I was looking up solutions, I saw some people connecting it to the error code 20, Modem. I ran a quick test and sure enough I had that problem. Again not sure if it's related, but it's something. Love my liddo pixi and wanna use it for youtube.
    Thanks!! Worked like a charm. Search works, videos no longer blurry. Even seems a little more responsive...mebbe just me
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Nafetz, I have been experiencing the same problem on my palm pixi plus. I see that the solution you gave has helped a few people but I'm a newbie and I didn't understand a thing from what you explained. Is it possible in any way to give me a more simple solution on how to change the video formats?
    Thank's a lot in advance, and I would really appreciate your help.

Hi,

I have the same problem on two different Palm Pres.
    As I can see - with my limited knowledge - in the file /usr/palm/applications.com.palm.app.youtube/app/models/yt-api.jsjsjs $the$ $search$ $uses$ $the$ $url$:

http://gdata.youtube.com/feeds/api/videos?v=2&q=#{vq}&orderby=relevance&max-results=#{maxResults}&start-index=#{startindex}&alt=json&format=#{format}&safeSearch=strict&client=#{clientId}

To see the results in your browser you can put in some values, leave the client and change alt=json in alt=atom

http://gdata.youtube.com/feeds/api/v...eSearch=strict

At least today the resulting feed is empty - the same as in the Youtube app.

I was a little surprised, when I looked in the Youtube API, because there seems to be no value 3 for the "format"-parameter:
    https://developers.google.com/youtub...hl=de#formatsp

So I changed the value for format into 1 instead of 3:

http://gdata.youtube.com/feeds/api/v...eSearch=strict

At least today, this url delivers results for the search.

So this is my workaround - at least for today :-)

Take InternalzPro, open the file yt-api.jsjsjs $and$ $move$ $to$ $the$ $end$ $of$ $the$ $file$. $There$ $is$ $a$ $line$ $with$ $the$ $content$:
    videoFormat : 3,
    Change this into
    videoFormat : 1,

I don't know if 1, 5 or 6 is best, but at the moment it works for me.
  18.    #38  
    I am still unsure as to how, if possible, to fix this problem. I am new to WebOS and I am not sufficiently skilled at all of this file tweaking you guys have explained. If there is a simple solution that does not involve much file tweaking, or if there is a video tutorial of some sort, then I would much appreciate a nudge in the direction that would help me. Also, if it has been confirmed that this bug will be patched soon, I am willing to wait. By soon, for those who need clarification as to my definition of soon, I would hope that they can get it fixed within about a month or two at most. I am starting to get used to the poor video quality, but it is still a problem when I need to read subtitles. I appreciate all of the help you guys can give, thank you everyone.
    Correct.

Search results have been fixed by setting "videoFormat" to either 1, 5 or 6.

I'll now take a look at how the flash-based client requests different resolution/bitrate, and roll it into a single patch
    I'm new to this, how do I get to those settings?
  20.    #40  
    It's been half a year since this problem has come up; has anybody found a simple solution to it? I don't understand how to do all of the file tweaking, but if that's the only solution, I would much appreciate if someone were able to create a Youtube video showing how to do it (ironic) or create a very simple step-by-step set of instructions. This problem is beginning to get very annoying, so I would much appreciate any help. Thank you very much for anyone who can help me, and for all of the people who have been working on fixing this problem.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12