1.    #1  
    I've had my Pre Plus for about a month and a half now, and assumed it was backing up automatically. However when I checked today, there was no date listed for a backup, which I'm assuming a backup was never made! I pressed the Back up now button, and it said "Preparing" for a while and then "Backup Failed" I tried several times and even tried on a different Wi-Fi at work with no result. I tried turning Backup off to see if I could clear and start again, but then I got the error "No Internet Connection" even though I was connected to WiFi

I'm using an unlocked At&T Pre Plus on the MTS network (Winnipeg, Canada). I don't have a data plan, but the wifi seems to be working properly other than the backup. I used the Data transfer program to transfer my old Palm Desktop info from my Centro over to my Pre and that worked without any problem.

Any ideas on what the problem is or what I can do to fix it? I'm worried that I'll lose my data, especially if I want to doctor it, or switch to another WebOS device.

Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by CJPrePlus View Post
    I've had my Pre Plus for about a month and a half now, and assumed it was backing up automatically. However when I checked today, there was no date listed for a backup, which I'm assuming a backup was never made! I pressed the Back up now button, and it said "Preparing" for a while and then "Backup Failed" I tried several times and even tried on a different Wi-Fi at work with no result. I tried turning Backup off to see if I could clear and start again, but then I got the error "No Internet Connection" even though I was connected to WiFi

I'm using an unlocked At&T Pre Plus on the MTS network (Winnipeg, Canada). I don't have a data plan, but the wifi seems to be working properly other than the backup. I used the Data transfer program to transfer my old Palm Desktop info from my Centro over to my Pre and that worked without any problem.

Any ideas on what the problem is or what I can do to fix it? I'm worried that I'll lose my data, especially if I want to doctor it, or switch to another WebOS device.

Thanks.
    Now that I think about it, I believe the Nova-Barleywine builds had backup issues and were also unable to access the App catalog. I'm not sure if this was a bug or if Palm was actively blocking this build on their production profile servers. (This build wasn't supposed to be released, and 2.X builds weren't supposed to be on the Pre or Pre+) Are you able to access the app catalog? Were you notified to download the app catalog update a few weeks ago?

You may also want to make sure the date and time are correct on your phone, as a drastically incorrect time could prevent the backup process from working.
    Probably unrelated but I am also having trouble with backup on my Pre3 (standard kernel). Seeing this thread I decided to check and it seems my last backup was on the 22nd. When I try to force a backup it sits in preparing for ages and then goes back to the top screen - no error message.

EDIT: Just forced a reset and it is now backing up ok. That is odd though as I only rebooted yesterday (after a lot of playing with Google maps) and I have done nothing strange since (maybe 1 phone call and a couple of texts).

EDIT: Nope, it ran the backup and then still insisted the last backup was on the 22nd - something is up!
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by bradmeister1 View Post
    Now that I think about it, I believe the Nova-Barleywine builds had backup issues and were also unable to access the App catalog. I'm not sure if this was a bug or if Palm was actively blocking this build on their production profile servers. (This build wasn't supposed to be released, and 2.X builds weren't supposed to be on the Pre or Pre+) Are you able to access the app catalog? Were you notified to download the app catalog update a few weeks ago?

You may also want to make sure the date and time are correct on your phone, as a drastically incorrect time could prevent the backup process from working.
    I can access the App catalog. I used the App Catalog country changer program to change it to the U.S. from Canada so I can get paid apps (which also works). The Apps catalog was working before this though. I know this isn't the problem because backup wasn't working before I did that.

I did NOT get the request for the App Catalog update, and can't find it in the App Catalog when I search... which is another worry of mine.

Date and time seem to be right on. I had it on the clock and everything seemed to be right there.
    Any other ideas? Thanks for your time!
    Quote Originally Posted by CJPrePlus View Post
    I can access the App catalog. I used the App Catalog country changer program to change it to the U.S. from Canada so I can get paid apps (which also works). The Apps catalog was working before this though. I know this isn't the problem because backup wasn't working before I did that.

I did NOT get the request for the App Catalog update, and can't find it in the App Catalog when I search... which is another worry of mine.

Date and time seem to be right on. I had it on the clock and everything seemed to be right there.
    Any other ideas? Thanks for your time!
    Are you familiar with Preware or webOS quick install? If so, you might try installing lumberjack, which gives you a GUI interface for viewing system/app logs.

If you can post the relevant backup logs, we might be able to narrow this issue down. Let me know if you need additional assistance with collecting these logs.

Additional Lumberjack info
  6.    #6  
    Are you familiar with Preware or webOS quick install? If so, you might try installing lumberjack, which gives you a GUI interface for viewing system/app logs.

If you can post the relevant backup logs, we might be able to narrow this issue down. Let me know if you need additional assistance with collecting these logs.

Yes I've started using Preware. I'll try lumberjack this weekend and let you know how it goes.
    Thanks for the help!
  7.    #7  

Hi there,
    Took a while to get back to this, but I got Lumberjack installed. Here's what one log post based on the Backup app listed when I tried to back up:

[2013-08-01 14:15:45] (alm.service.backup.jsjsjs) $user$.$err$: $Exception$ $occurred$ $during$ $backup$: {&$quot$;$message$&$quot$;:&$quot$;$Request$ $to$ '$https$://$sta$.$palmws$.$com$/$storageauth$/?$email$=$cbilewitch$%$40hotmail$.$com$&$amp$;$deviceId$=$IMEI$%$3A012145000347947$&$amp$;$token$=$0D8BE93B1493EA3F3436F287DBD51B$ $0DC$' $failed$&$quot$;,&$quot$;$stack$&$quot$;:&$quot$;$Error$: $Request$ $to$ '$https$://$sta$.$palmws$.$com$/$storageauth$/?$email$=$cbilewitch$%$40hotmail$.$com$&$amp$;$deviceId$=$IMEI$%$3A012145000347947$&$amp$;$token$=$0D8BE93B1493EA3F3436F287DBD51B$ $0DC$' $failed$\$n$ $at$ $util$/$curl$.$js$:$79$:$21$\$n$ $at$ $util$/$curl$.$js$:$257$:$17$\$n$ $at$ $ChildProcess$.&$lt$;$anonymous$&$gt$; ($child_process$:$4$:$460$)\$n$ $at$ $ChildProcess$.$emit$ ($events$:$2$:$380$)\$n$ $at$ $Stream$.&$lt$;$anonymous$&$gt$; ($child_process$:$6$:$267$)\$n$ $at$ $Stream$.$emit$ ($events$:$2$:$380$)\$n$ $at$ $Array$.$1$ ($net$:$29$:$21$)\$n$ $at$ $EventEmitter$.$_tickCallback$ ($node$.$js$:$3$:$517$)\$n$ $at$ /$usr$/$palm$/$nodejs$/$fork_server$.$js$:$201$:$10$\$n$ $at$ $ChildProcess$.$fork$ ($child_process$:$8$:$75$)&$quot$;,&$quot$;$errorCode$&$quot$;:$500$}

Let me know if you need any other logs (and how to get them! I had to play with the app a bit to figure it out!)
    One thing I noticed is that it lists the time as 14:15 when I got the log, but the actual local time was 9:15. Don't know if that is important or not....
    Thanks for any help!