Results 1 to 12 of 12
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By briest
  1.    #1  
    Good Afternoon. I have just purchased a new palm pixi plus (Unlocked AT&T) and have a few questions.

    1) Will it be easier and more cost effect to activate on Straight Talk, Tmo, or AT&T Go? And will I have to jump through hoops.

    2) I know it's not a super-phone but quite awesome in its own right. I'm no techie/developer I know basics. Will I have to Jailbreak the phone or something to get the most out of it or can I use the native App Store and still be good-to-go? I.E. Is the phone competent as is in 2013?

    3) What's the benefit of starting this Palm profile I keep hearing of?

    Thanks in advance!

    KC
  2. briest's Avatar
    Posts
    133 Posts
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    #2  
    1) I know next to nothing about US carriers and their offer; but it is crucial to have data access enabled when you start the phone for a first time (it can be omitted, but is troublesome)
    2) You don't need to, but most probably want It's fast, easy and no-risk process and you get access to really great apps. I'm on the road atm, so cannot provide exact links, but look for "developer mode", "konami code" and "preware".
    3) You have to start it - it's automatic and you cannot use your phone without one. Benefits include automated cloud backups and the very access to AppCatalog.
    HelloNNNewman likes this.
  3. #3  
    For the the Carrier, I think Straight Talk is the best choice, I'm not sure about this but I think RumoredNow was on Straight talk, so PM him I guess if you want.
    HP Think Beyond event link
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnjwG...dwMIQ&index=31
    If You Have A WindsorNot Hit Me Up
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by boovish View Post
    For the the Carrier, I think Straight Talk is the best choice, I'm not sure about this but I think RumoredNow was on Straight talk, so PM him I guess if you want.
    AT&T forced Straight Talk to yank all the compatible SIMs. Seems big blue lost too many customers to ST and there was also a glitch that if you put a subsidized AT&T phone on ST, since it was the same network, then AT&T couldn't register the change and missed out on ETF (early termination fee) from a lot of people... That's the rumor anyway.

    So for SIMs, Straight Talk is now only offering T-Mobile compatible. That means that without the 1700 MHz band on your phone, in most areas of the country T-Mo towers will only get you EDGE data speed.

    Here's the map of what has been refarmed to 1900 MHz. Sightings of T-Mobile 3G/4G/HSPA+ coverage on 1900MHz (PCS/UMTS band II)

    If you are in one of the updated areas for T-Mo, then Straight Talk might not be a bad deal. Otherwise, I'd look elsewhere.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

    Windows Central Senior Ambassador

    Mobile Nations Devotee
  5. nrthwds's Avatar
    Posts
    31 Posts
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    #5  
    Just purchased an unlocked At&t Pixi Plus and also want to use Straight talk. Checking on their website I found the following info.
    Unlocked GSM Phone (Phone must operate in 850 and 1900 MHz bands)
    In order to Activate your service, you will need an Airtime PIN or a credit card and a GSM AT&T or T-Mobile phone or an unlocked GSM phone compatible with these companies.
    I am new at this... will this work or not with the phone I purchased? It says At&t or T-Mobile.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by nrthwds View Post
    Just purchased an unlocked At&t Pixi Plus and also want to use Straight talk. Checking on their website I found the following info.
    Unlocked GSM Phone (Phone must operate in 850 and 1900 MHz bands)
    In order to Activate your service, you will need an Airtime PIN or a credit card and a GSM AT&T or T-Mobile phone or an unlocked GSM phone compatible with these companies.
    I am new at this... will this work or not with the phone I purchased? It says At&t or T-Mobile.
    Yeah... I just double checked..

    Starting out by checking the line for AT&T compatible - "Unlocked GSM Phone (Phone must operate in 850 and 1900 MHz bands)" - and following through to the ordering phase...

    It takes you to the T-Mobile compatible SIM. That is the only one you can put in your cart.

    There is NO AT&T compatible SIM available from Straight Talk at this time.

    On T- Mobile's towers you are most likely to get EDGE data speed. It will work, but internet and other data uses will be very slow...

    It has to do with T-Mo having their 3G/H+ on the 1700 MHz band. Most phones not branded T-Mobile do not have that band. No GSM webOS phone does.

    T-Mobile is moving their LTE over to 1700 and putting 3G on the 1900 MHz band, but very little of the country has been switched over to that as of yet. (See the link to the conversion complete map in my earlier post.)

    Now, if you are in a converted area or are running a phone with 1700 MHz on board: T-Mobile is less congested than AT&T and their 3G/H+ is running pretty fast.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

    Windows Central Senior Ambassador

    Mobile Nations Devotee
  7. nrthwds's Avatar
    Posts
    31 Posts
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    Yeah... I just double checked..

    Starting out by checking the line for AT&T compatible - "Unlocked GSM Phone (Phone must operate in 850 and 1900 MHz bands)" - and following through to the ordering phase...

    It takes you to the T-Mobile compatible SIM. That is the only one you can put in your cart.

    There is NO AT&T compatible SIM available from Straight Talk at this time.

    On T- Mobile's towers you are most likely to get EDGE data speed. It will work, but internet and other data uses will be very slow...

    It has to do with T-Mo having their 3G/H+ on the 1700 MHz band. Most phones not branded T-Mobile do not have that band. No GSM webOS phone does.

    T-Mobile is moving their LTE over to 1700 and putting 3G on the 1900 MHz band, but very little of the country has been switched over to that as of yet. (See the link to the conversion complete map in my earlier post.)

    Now, if you are in a converted area or are running a phone with 1700 MHz on board: T-Mobile is less congested than AT&T and their 3G/H+ is running pretty fast.
    Thanks for the info. Guess I should have waited and checked this out again. Bought the phone from Newegg, they have on sale and I have a Hp Touchpad and like webos so I saw the phone and thought it would work for me for $55 Currently I have Verizon and am planning to change to At&T when my contract is up (9/14) a long time left. I wanted to test the phone in my area as they just put up an At&t tower and I knew that I would need a GSM phone and I like Webos. A friend has at&t and figured I could switch out the sim card and see if it worked okay. He has a dumb phone so I didn't know if it would really work for the test. Now if I can't get the at&t service from Straight Talk, then I don't think I want the phone. Guess I should send back to Newegg. If I didn't like Webos I wouldn't have snached it up.....
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by nrthwds View Post
    Thanks for the info. Guess I should have waited and checked this out again. Bought the phone from Newegg, they have on sale and I have a Hp Touchpad and like webos so I saw the phone and thought it would work for me for $55 Currently I have Verizon and am planning to change to At&T when my contract is up (9/14) a long time left. I wanted to test the phone in my area as they just put up an At&t tower and I knew that I would need a GSM phone and I like Webos. A friend has at&t and figured I could switch out the sim card and see if it worked okay. He has a dumb phone so I didn't know if it would really work for the test. Now if I can't get the at&t service from Straight Talk, then I don't think I want the phone. Guess I should send back to Newegg. If I didn't like Webos I wouldn't have snached it up.....
    Your friend's dumb phone SIM would not let you test data. AT&T is pretty good about keeping smart phones off data use with a dumb phone plan...
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

    Windows Central Senior Ambassador

    Mobile Nations Devotee
  9. nrthwds's Avatar
    Posts
    31 Posts
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    Your friend's dumb phone SIM would not let you test data. AT&T is pretty good about keeping smart phones off data use with a dumb phone plan...
    But would the dumb phone sim card let me use the pixi to test for phone use and signal strength? Could the pixi plus be used as wifi only for internet? If I can't find Straight Talk sim card for At&t then it is only good for t-mobile now even though it says At&t or t-mobile?
    I've got a year and 5 months with verizon left. I just liked it because it was webos and thought I could use when my plan ends with verizon. What are the chances that I will be able to use it then on At&T.... seems like it could be a problem. Maybe i can find a sim card for At&t in a walmart store?
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by nrthwds View Post
    But would the dumb phone sim card let me use the pixi to test for phone use and signal strength? Could the pixi plus be used as wifi only for internet? If I can't find Straight Talk sim card for At&t then it is only good for t-mobile now even though it says At&t or t-mobile?
    I've got a year and 5 months with verizon left. I just liked it because it was webos and thought I could use when my plan ends with verizon. What are the chances that I will be able to use it then on At&T.... seems like it could be a problem. Maybe i can find a sim card for At&t in a walmart store?
    There never were any Straight Talk SIMS at Walmart. They are internet order only...

    Currently they have not updated their website so they claim ATT or T-Mo, but only T-Mo SIMS can be had. That's probably because they hope to work out any differences they have with ATT. Or they are just lazy.

    If you have a Verizon Pixi + I'm not sure you can ever put it on a GSM network in the US. If it has a SIM slot that would be locked out for US and only allow international travel with Companies like Orange, O2, MovieStar, etc...

    You could always try a SIM from an ATT dumb phone just to see. I wouldn't buy one, just borrow from a friend.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

    Windows Central Senior Ambassador

    Mobile Nations Devotee
  11. nrthwds's Avatar
    Posts
    31 Posts
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    There never were any Straight Talk SIMS at Walmart. They are internet order only...

    Currently they have not updated their website so they claim ATT or T-Mo, but only T-Mo SIMS can be had. That's probably because they hope to work out any differences they have with ATT. Or they are just lazy.

    If you have a Verizon Pixi + I'm not sure you can ever put it on a GSM network in the US. If it has a SIM slot that would be locked out for US and only allow international travel with Companies like Orange, O2, MovieStar, etc...

    You could always try a SIM from an ATT dumb phone just to see. I wouldn't buy one, just borrow from a friend.
    Found a NET10 MICROsim on ebay for at&t and I guess they are really about the same price monthly. $45 if you auto enroll monthly. Does the pixi plus use a Micro sim? Price is right... $9.99. ebay is selling the ST for $38 to $50. Guess that At&t has a limit of 1.5gb on data for net10 and want to do that with the Straight talk also so they don't have any sim cards until they settle on data plan. No, it's a At&t phone. That that ST didn't have Verizon anymore? If I try friends sim on pixi do you think it will work like a phone for calls? will be interesting to see if it works.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by nrthwds View Post
    Found a NET10 MICROsim on ebay for at&t and I guess they are really about the same price monthly. $45 if you auto enroll monthly. Does the pixi plus use a Micro sim? Price is right... $9.99. ebay is selling the ST for $38 to $50. Guess that At&t has a limit of 1.5gb on data for net10 and want to do that with the Straight talk also so they don't have any sim cards until they settle on data plan. No, it's a At&t phone. That that ST didn't have Verizon anymore? If I try friends sim on pixi do you think it will work like a phone for calls? will be interesting to see if it works.
    I get 3mbit downstream off T-Mobiles refarmed 3G towers.

    It also should work for everything but data. That sole reason is why I dropped att for the third time to go back to tmobile, even before they decided to initiate refarming

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Proud user of a Palm Pre+ on T-Mobile running 1.4.5 in New Orleans, Louisiana
    --
    Need some help getting Odamex on WebOS
    Remember the bombardment of letters WebOS users hopefully sent to HP? Well, we need you again loyal users. Click and sign to entertain the slight notion of this petition reaching LG. The numbers rise daily, we need to keep going! Even if its slim to none, its better than doing nothing and complaining!

Similar Threads

  1. New Palm Pixi Plus GSM Unlocked - $89.99
    By levoresume in forum Palm Pixi and Pixi Plus
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07/11/2011, 11:02 AM
  2. new GSM Palm Pre Plus: advice on unlocking/activating
    By jieming in forum Palm Pre and Pre Plus
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08/12/2010, 05:16 PM
  3. Noob advice needed to load movie off of SD on 755p
    By WildCard in forum Palm OS Devices & Apps
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08/14/2007, 01:15 PM
  4. Total Noob! Need advice!!
    By letmepokher in forum Palm OS Devices & Apps
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02/15/2007, 06:38 PM
  5. noob device advice needed
    By littlewaywelt in forum Palm Windows Mobile Devices & Apps
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11/28/2006, 11:00 AM

Posting Permissions