1.    #1  
    So heres the story as follows:

I used to own a Pixi+ (Still do technically) before I got my Pre+ to replace it. The reason I had to replace it was due to it falling into a vat of sushi vinegar, which after I noticed it, immediately ripped out the battery.

Recently I got bored and figured I might try to ressurrect it, to no hope, but it shows signs of life still so I cling to every little bit of hope I can scrape.

The battery is fine, after saying screw it I decided to try my working battery in the Pixi, because it seemed like when I tried to get to the bootloader recovery mode, it just showed me a [?]. So I figured "Oh, well it doesn't have enough charge to do it" and put the other battery in.

With the old battery, I managed to get it to the point where dmesg was spamming Palm - bootie device connections, but shortly disconnected. When I finally did manage to hit the USB icon, it was with the new battery, but lasted for a mere second before disappearing.

When I finally got around my fears of the old battery toasting my precious Pre+, I plugged it in to charge and it booted up just fine. Opened Dr. Battery to watch for abnormalities and all seems to be well...EXCEPT that DrB made me aware that it cleared a UVF flag.

My questions are as followed:

Could the UVF flag indicate a charging system short in the Pixi? When WebOS Doctor and novacomd hit the device while in USB recovery, does the USB logo disappear? Is bootie on the device indeed corrupt, like I suspect? If so, is there a way to boot the USB recovery image via USB and a utility similar to omap3_usb?

I also spent four hours uselessly compiling the omap3_usb flasher on lubuntu 12.10, only to find out that it was probably a bad idea to use it.

So guys, should I give up hope on this poor thing and give it to someone for the LCD/Digitizer (Which should still work), and other various parts? I think the comm board was the only thing that got wet, along with the lcd diffuser.
    Proud user of a Palm Pre+ on T-Mobile running 1.4.5 in New Orleans, Louisiana
    --
    Need some help getting Odamex on WebOS
    Remember the bombardment of letters WebOS users hopefully sent to HP? Well, we need you again loyal users. Click and sign to entertain the slight notion of this petition reaching LG. The numbers rise daily, we need to keep going! Even if its slim to none, its better than doing nothing and complaining!
    Not only is vinegar corrosive, it's also conductive. I wouldn't be surprised if something shorted when it hit it. Then, unless you wash all of it out, I wouldn't be surprised if some of the connectors got corroded. I hate to say it, but chances are it's dead. You can try cracking it open to clean it up and make sure nothing corroded but I don't think it's worth your time.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman97 View Post
    Not only is vinegar corrosive, it's also conductive. I wouldn't be surprised if something shorted when it hit it. Then, unless you wash all of it out, I wouldn't be surprised if some of the connectors got corroded. I hate to say it, but chances are it's dead. You can try cracking it open to clean it up and make sure nothing corroded but I don't think it's worth your time.
    That answered none of the questioned asked.

it was rinsed, cleaned, and dryed.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    --
    Remember the bombardment of letters WebOS users hopefully sent to HP? Well, we need you again loyal users. Click and sign to entertain the slight notion of this petition reaching LG. The numbers rise daily, we need to keep going! Even if its slim to none, its better than doing nothing and complaining!
    Well, you never mentioned that part. It's all about the details.
  5.    #5  
    Well, you never mentioned that part. It's all about the details.
    I also mentioned several questions I had which were very specific
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowflank View Post
    I also mentioned several questions I had which were very specific
    "So guys, should I give up hope on this poor thing and give it to someone for the LCD/Digitizer (Which should still work), and other various parts?"

Which I answered with don't bother trying to get it to work with the vinegar bath since I didn't know whether you did a thorough rinsing. Plus, an electrical short, which you even contemplated, would also indicate a connection getting corroded from the acid in the vinegar, despite the rinsing. So, in my personal opinion, given the price of Pixis on eBay, it isn't worth the time or effort to try to resurrect it. Just like how it wasn't worth the time, money and effort to patch the cab in my truck when I can get a whole used cab in much better shape and just drop it in. Much easier to undo 4 bolts than to spend days cutting, grinding and welding. Similarly, easier to start out fresh then to spend hours troubleshooting something that's either software related or hardware related, with a hardware issue probably being past repairable or worth repairing (again, eBay has cheap Pixis). If the Pixi still cost as much as it did 3 years ago, then I probably wouldn't have said it's not worth the time.
  7.    #7  
    "So guys, should I give up hope on this poor thing and give it to someone for the LCD/Digitizer (Which should still work), and other various parts?"

Which I answered with don't bother trying to get it to work with the vinegar bath since I didn't know whether you did a thorough rinsing. Plus, an electrical short, which you even contemplated, would also indicate a connection getting corroded from the acid in the vinegar, despite the rinsing. So, in my personal opinion, given the price of Pixis on eBay, it isn't worth the time or effort to try to resurrect it. Just like how it wasn't worth the time, money and effort to patch the cab in my truck when I can get a whole used cab in much better shape and just drop it in. Much easier to undo 4 bolts than to spend days cutting, grinding and welding. Similarly, easier to start out fresh then to spend hours troubleshooting something that's either software related or hardware related, with a hardware issue probably being past repairable or worth repairing (again, eBay has cheap Pixis). If the Pixi still cost as much as it did 3 years ago, then I probably wouldn't have said it's not worth the time.
    I know it isn't worth the time, but perhaps if I can figure out what exactly is wrong with it, there can be a better understanding of what its doing and why its doing it. Unless all the questions can be answered with a basic 'No chance in hell', I'd still like to try and ressurrect it for the fun of it.

I mainly really hope some fat chance exists of getting my data off it to be completely honest, but thats here nor there.
    --
    If you want your data, that shouldn't be a problem as long as you can find a way of accessing it. The question is how far you want to go. When my wife's MacBook fell and landed on the USB drive that was plugged in, the data was lost because the board had a short in it. Despite the connector being broken off, we were able to get contact on the leads but the short prevented us from going any further.

If you want to figure out what's wrong with it, disassemble it and go over every lead and contact with a fine tooth comb to see if anything is corroded or disconnected. Contact cleaner/rubbing alcohol, distilled water, and dielectric grease will be your helpers if you find any mineral build-up from the water rinse or any surface corrosion (even some vinegar may help with the corrosion to get it off as long as it's rinsed off). Not sure if the software logs can help pin-point where to look but even on PCMs in cars, a loose chassis ground can be the culprit so you can imagine what a bad lead or connector pin can do in a phone.
  9.    #9  
    If you want your data, that shouldn't be a problem as long as you can find a way of accessing it. The question is how far you want to go. When my wife's MacBook fell and landed on the USB drive that was plugged in, the data was lost because the board had a short in it. Despite the connector being broken off, we were able to get contact on the leads but the short prevented us from going any further.

If you want to figure out what's wrong with it, disassemble it and go over every lead and contact with a fine tooth comb to see if anything is corroded or disconnected. Contact cleaner/rubbing alcohol, distilled water, and dielectric grease will be your helpers if you find any mineral build-up from the water rinse or any surface corrosion (even some vinegar may help with the corrosion to get it off as long as it's rinsed off). Not sure if the software logs can help pin-point where to look but even on PCMs in cars, a loose chassis ground can be the culprit so you can imagine what a bad lead or connector pin can do in a phone.
    Basically this has happened months ago, and I did open it up shortly after and the only internal component that seemed to have gotten damp was the comm board/sim slot. The battery obviously got a little sticky too.

I think the way the Pixi's backing is designed, it may have saved a few components, athough after ripping the battery out, I rinsed it with tap water. Then later I opened it, and you can see above the results I saw.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    --
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    What the hell is SUSHI Vinegar?