webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Palm Pixi and Pixi Plus > Warranty for Palm Pixi Plus?
Warranty for Palm Pixi Plus?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ashykat

Old 12/19/2012, 10:32 AM   #1 (permalink)

I purchased a Palm Pixi Plus in April, 2012 from a retailor at Amazon. Now there are two major problems with the phone:

1. The ruber back cover of my Palm Pixi Plus has become gradually deformed after being used for 4 months. I noticed it since August. The picture of the phone is attached. The unevenness of the boarderline shows the rubber outfit has deformed.

2. Since November, there has been a new problem with the device.
Everytime I making a call, the screen will black out, and doesn't respond if I touch the screen trying to wake it up. So I cannot end any call, or make any selection during a call. This is very bothering me.

I have seldom brought this cell phone together with me, as most of the time I am with my laptop and make calls using Google Voice. There is no way the deformed back cover is due to my improper usage.

The order comes with a small label saying there is one year warranty. The retailor at Amazon said that after the initial 30 days of purchase, the manufacturer, Palm, (HP WebOS official website) is responsible for the one year warranty. I contacted HP many times, and my carrier PagePlus is not listed on HP : Support . HP customer service seems not work for Palm, both phone or online chat (Palm Support : Live Chat - this service has been discontinued). They asked me to send pictures to palmlevel3.nac@palm.com, and also opened a ref number for my case. But I have never heard back from them and when I called again, the ref number wasn't found.

So I wonder what I can do now for the 1 year warranty? Thanks in advance!
tim126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/19/2012, 03:15 PM   #2 (permalink)

I think there's an email form on their website. Find your device from the support site, and click on Support Options.

For #2, you should do a diagnostics and check the proximity sensor.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/19/2012, 07:13 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
I think there's an email form on their website. Find your device from the support site, and click on Support Options.
Do you mean http://kb.hpwebos.com/wps/portal/kb/...es:Palm%20Pixi? My cellular carrier PagePlus is not listed there. Or what website do you mean?

Quote:
For #2, you should do a diagnostics and check the proximity sensor.
I wonder how to do a diagnostics and check the proximity sensor?

Thanks!
Old 12/19/2012, 07:30 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim126 View Post
Do you mean HP : Support? My cellular carrier PagePlus is not listed there. Or what website do you mean?
Select the carrier the phone is originally from. If you can't find it, just pick any.

Quote:
I wonder how to do a diagnostics and check the proximity sensor?
Go to Device Info, and in the app menu there should be an item Diagnostics. Tap on it and select Interactive Tests. I don't remember which test the proximity sensor is in, but try your best to get the right one.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
Old 12/19/2012, 07:31 PM   #5 (permalink)

This type of rubber will always deform like that, same thing happened to my Palm earbuds, so i just pulled the rubber off, leaving bare plastic. It has to do with the way rubber absorbs the oils from your skin, so if you get the cover replaced, get a "skin" for it or a hard case, otherwise you might have the same thing happening a few months down the road. Or you can just peel off the rubber and replace it with a "skin"

Oh, and i can tell you why your proximity sensor fails, no diag needed
If you can buy yourself a real screen protector and take off the OEM sticker film you have now, the problem will resolve itself. When you apply the screen protector, to avoid bubbles and dust, do it in a steamy bathroom right after you take a shower, preferably while still undressed. This way there'll be no dust in the air and no lint coming off your clothes..

PagePlus is on the Verizon network, so pick Verizon (CDMA phone, isn't it)

Have fun
Remy X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12/19/2012, 11:12 PM   #6 (permalink)

Actually whenever I am making a call, the keyboard doesn't work either. Not only the screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
Oh, and i can tell you why your proximity sensor fails, no diag needed
If you can buy yourself a real screen protector and take off the OEM sticker film you have now, the problem will resolve itself. When you apply the screen protector, to avoid bubbles and dust, do it in a steamy bathroom right after you take a shower, preferably while still undressed. This way there'll be no dust in the air and no lint coming off your clothes..

PagePlus is on the Verizon network, so pick Verizon (CDMA phone, isn't it)

Have fun
Old 12/19/2012, 11:24 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Select the carrier the phone is originally from. If you can't find it, just pick any.
Verizon doesn't provide tech support to PagePlus customers.

Quote:
Go to Device Info, and in the app menu there should be an item Diagnostics. Tap on it and select Interactive Tests. I don't remember which test the proximity sensor is in, but try your best to get the right one.
I just performed the tests and found no problem. The problem of the screen blackening out and not responding to touching screen or hitting keys only happen when I am making a call and can last very long after the call was hang up by the other side.
Old 12/19/2012, 11:58 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Verizon is irrelevant. You'll be dealing with HP. I think they want to know the carrier so they get the right hardware type.
Old 12/20/2012, 12:09 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Actually whenever I am making a call, the keyboard doesn't work either. Not only the screen.

I just performed the tests and found no problem. The problem of the screen blackening out and not responding to touching screen or hitting keys only happen when I am making a call and can last very long after the call was hang up by the other side.
I'm telling you, it's your crappy OEM screen scratch guard. The dirty edge of it is right over the proximity sensor, and the sensor sees all that dirt on it. Since the OEM screen guard is single-use, you have to replace it with a normal screen protector, and then your problem will go away.

Take a look at your phone, and you'll see the clear tab sticking out.. that's part of the packaging, and normally a salesperson will remove it before handing you the phone. Since you bought it yourself, nobody removed the film, and the sticky silicone underside attracts dust each time the film gets lifted up.

Verizon is the carrier you have to specify when filling out HP's warranty claim.
Remy X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12/20/2012, 12:47 PM   #10 (permalink)

Take the factory plastic off the screen and I think you'll be back in business. As far as the rubber goes, just find a cheap touchstone cover for it. You can get them on ebay for around $5, probably cheaper than you'd pay to ship it for any sort of warranty service.
ashykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Remy X likes this.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0