webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Palm Pixi and Pixi Plus > Lighty or other "simple" solution for Webdav-Acces on Pixi+
Lighty or other "simple" solution for Webdav-Acces on Pixi+

Old 12/04/2012, 08:55 AM   #1 (permalink)

Hi,

although i am using the Pixi for over two years now, i am a DAU, when it comes to the use of commandline linux on my device.

I am looking for a "simple" Solution to access my Pixi over webdav within my wlan. I want to up-and download files without cable sometimes.

Yes, i read about openSSH and putty or whatever, but it seamed to me, that this ist not the only solution to access my Pixi and it sounds complicated with these keys and so ....

There are some threads talking about lighty or lighttpd, a webserver, running on my pixi and provides a webdav-module. I read, that there is the possibilty to use a authentification here to.

So I installed it and cant get access out of the box, although this was mentioned in preware.

Looking a little bit around i believe that nesessary files or script-Files (startup und automated start) where not copied or installed.

Is here someone, who can write a short howto on basis 2012 to get this little thingi to work.

Thanks very much in advance

Cheers

Achim from Gießen in Germany
achimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/04/2012, 10:18 AM   #2 (permalink)

Webdav is a poor solution for this. If you can install preware, you can certainly install ssh. It's not too difficult:
- install from preware (both ssh and sftp. The latter is needed for FUSE or Filezilla to work)
- generate your keys
- keep your private key on the computer you are connecting from, and the public key in the authorized_keys file on the phone. Your public key can be shared on any system you want access to. You need to keep your private key safe and not share it with anybody. If you generate your keys on the phone, you should remove the private key once you have it in a safe location on the computer you will be connecting from.

Passwordless keys for user accounts are a bad idea. To connect without having to type your password each time, you should use a key server. That is beyond the scope of this introduction, though.

You can use ssh and then use filezilla on the windoze side of things. If you were running a linux workstation, you can easily just 'mount' the phone using an ssh virtual file system. Then it just looks like a folder to your workstation. Not sure if windows has anything like that, but it's unlikely. SSH on the phone with Filezilla is probably the best option.

**EDIT**
It looks like there is a project to allow FUSE-like functionality in windows. Found the link here: http://dokan-dev.net/en/download/

Good luck!

Last edited by knobbysideup; 12/04/2012 at 10:33 AM.
knobbysideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/21/2012, 12:30 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by knobbysideup View Post
Webdav is a poor solution for this. If you can install preware, you can certainly install ssh. It's not too difficult:
- install from preware (both ssh and sftp. The latter is needed for FUSE or Filezilla to work)
- generate your keys
- keep your private key on the computer you are connecting from, and the public key in the authorized_keys file on the phone. Your public key can be shared on any system you want access to. You need to keep your private key safe and not share it with anybody. If you generate your keys on the phone, you should remove the private key once you have it in a safe location on the computer you will be connecting from.

Passwordless keys for user accounts are a bad idea. To connect without having to type your password each time, you should use a key server. That is beyond the scope of this introduction, though.

You can use ssh and then use filezilla on the windoze side of things. If you were running a linux workstation, you can easily just 'mount' the phone using an ssh virtual file system. Then it just looks like a folder to your workstation. Not sure if windows has anything like that, but it's unlikely. SSH on the phone with Filezilla is probably the best option.

**EDIT**
It looks like there is a project to allow FUSE-like functionality in windows. Found the link here: Dokan » Download

Good luck!
thank you, i gave it a try and it is working now. But the approach with filezilla in windows is a little bit uncomfortable. On my ubuntu desktop, i got it as a virtual filesystem. Very good.

ciao achim
Old 02/11/2013, 10:21 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by achimi View Post
thank you, i gave it a try and it is working now. But the approach with filezilla in windows is a little bit uncomfortable. On my ubuntu desktop, i got it as a virtual filesystem. Very good.

ciao achim
There is a new software solution for Windows called swish. It makes seamless Directory-access possible like in Ubuntu, but you need to have pageant from putty for the keys. I think it is included in the latest package of swish.

but i have now the problem, that i often loose the openssh-connection. this is fact with swish AND filezilla. Cant find the problem nor a solution

Achim

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0