1.    #1  
    Hello.

I'm a total newbie when it comes to phones. I have no idea what's what, so please bear with me. Now, with that out of the way, my partner and I have an at&t plan. He uses an iphone, and I've had a dumb phone for a long time. That phone is old, sluggish, runs out of battery in an hour, and turns off randomly; not to mention, it's ancient.

I was looking at a lot of unlocked, no-contract phones and came across the palm pixi plus. It's a cute, slim, simple smartphone that I'd be very interested in. On amazon, it's around $45. However, some listings say "palm pixi plus verizon only" while others say "sprint only" or "att only." Others say unlocked.

From what I understand, there are 2 types of phones - gsm and cdma. Cdma is limited to verizon/sprint, and gsm is att and t-mobile. So, if I want to just stick my old sim card into a pixi phone, I need to buy a gsm phone, right? Or does it not matter? The gsm phones are $20+ more expensive than the cdma pixies - is there a reason why? Obviously I'd want to buy a verizon phone if it's cheaper, if I can still use it on my att plan.

Also, can I easily put my old phone's sim card into a pixi? Or do I need to get a completely new data plan? What is my best option?

Thanks for any help!
    There are a few options, GSM Pixi (no WiFi) unlocked, GSM PixiPlus (with WiFi) unlocked, or AT&T PixiPlus (with WiFi)...

Do not touch Verizon or Sprint they are CDMA only no SIM card slot...

You could also use a Veer, they are small, cute, more powerful then a PixiPlus but same screen size...
    Any webOS phone model that is GSM takes a full size SIM... (i.e.: regular or old school size) so the one from your dumb phone should work.

You are on AT&T, so it will also matter what type of plan you have. If you put a webOS phone on AT&T they will make you pay for data and not the dumb phone kind (WAP)...

Any AT&T branded or unlocked GSM model for North America will work for your carrier.

Pixi Plus is a cool form factor, but one of the reasons you are giving up the dumb phone is because it is dated. Pixi Plus is getting a bit long in the tooth as well.

Check out http://forums.webosnation.com/marketplace/ forum on this board, eBay, Amazon etc... Consider getting a used model that is a bit more current. Used prices can be pretty attractive...

Since you will most likely have to pay for data, you might as well get more bang for your buck. Look for a Pre 2 or a Veer. Either will be pretty capable right out of the box.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
  4.    #4  
    Thank you for the feedback!

The gsm pre 2 is $130, while the veer is $106, so I'd definitely get the veer if between those two, but then again the pixi+ is only $80(gsm one). So my personal choice is pxi+ vs. veer. I don't need the "best" phone but I also don't want to throw down $80 for an already pretty dated phone.

If the veer is an upgrade to both, why is the battery less powerful and lacking flash? That doesn't make sense to me, but anything I get is probably loads better than my dumb phone. The more I look, the more I'm getting sold on this phone(either pixi or veer).

Also, why is this phone discontinued and have a lot of complaints, while others love it totally? All the cold and hot reviews aren't telling me much.

We're on a family plan. The 3 others(including my boyfriend) have smartphones(iphones). Does this mean I have the same plan as them or that mine would need to be upgraded too? I might have to ask at&t or one of them for help, not sure if you guys would know.
    Quote Originally Posted by rausin View Post
    Also, why is this phone discontinued and have a lot of complaints, while others love it totally? All the cold and hot reviews aren't telling me much.
    Because the dumba** HP ex-CEO Leo Apothecker, (whom they brought in from the German software firm SAP after "firing" Mr. Hurd over a sexless "sex scandal") decided to kill the smartphone and tablet division a month after its launch. He also wanted to break apart and sell off the PC division and have HP focus solely on software, like SAP does.

Needless to say, the stock tanked, shareholders complained and HP got rid of him one way or another.

Current HP CEO, eBay's Meg Whitman (who also ran for California Governor's seat but lost) is currently talking about bringing back tablets this next year and the phones a year after that. Leo did a lot of damage that will take years to undo...
    Quote Originally Posted by rausin View Post
    If the veer is an upgrade to both, why is the battery less powerful and lacking flash? That doesn't make sense to me, but anything I get is probably loads better than my dumb phone. The more I look, the more I'm getting sold on this phone(either pixi or veer).

We're on a family plan. The 3 others(including my boyfriend) have smartphones(iphones). Does this mean I have the same plan as them or that mine would need to be upgraded too? I might have to ask at&t or one of them for help, not sure if you guys would know.
    Well, the battery was smaller and a flash was omitted to save space. (debatable compromise)
    The smaller battery can be afforded because the Veer is a bit more power efficient. (and to save space, that thing is tiny compared to everything else these days)

HP had some major management/leadership problems a year ago, and the entire mobile product line was cut. (They almost stopped making computers)
    Everyone is different, with different preferences. I'm here because I'm willing to overlook it's shortcomings because of its benefits.
    Some people don't like the occasional slowdowns (although that has been mostly fixed), and somebugs do come up, although they're not too bad.

All of those are considered smartphones, and will be planned as such by the carrier.
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 >
    Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > Blackberry Priv
    My Palm OS Archive