• 2 Post By webos_ftw
  • 4 Post By Vity Traff
  • 1 Post By rnld
  • 2 Post By johnsonx42
  • 2 Post By HelloNNNewman
  • 1 Post By jasontaylor7
  • 1 Post By eblade
  1.    #1  
    EDIT: I got my wifi CDMA phone to work. The post below is therefore wrong. See my 2nd post for details on how I got the "app catalog" app to work.

I'm posting this because had I read it long ago it would have saved me a ton of time. So it should perhaps be in a faq or something. It is mostly a warning for others thinking of buying a pixi off of ebay. After reading and testing, it seems true that these phones are now junk unless you are an original owner. The reason is that you cannot easily have access to the app catalog unless you get a normal data contract from either sprint or verizon, which is like $90 just for one minute it takes to create a palm account. Little software=nearly worthless brick. With a gsm pixi or any pre you can either unlock it or borrow a sim card from a friend or even use impostah, but at the end of the day there is presently no non-insane way to get any applications on these cdma pixis. Btw, it didn't save me any time by having them call this OS open. What's open are a few free homebrewed apps making up <1% of the # of apps in the real app catalog under hp lock and key.

OTOH, if I'm wrong, please post a non-insane method of getting access to the app catalog including links to all software that is required and a complete description of the all steps that are required without exceeding the character limits of this forum. You are welcome to cut and paste but all the steps must be in a single post to this thread with or without links to the original posts(s).
    <staff edit>

Cheers,
    Jason
    Last edited by jasontaylor7; 10/03/2012 at 10:39 PM.
    Since the original Pixi does not have WiFi, an active service line is the only way you can really get any use out of one. The Pixi Plus on the other hand, does have WiFi (Verizon's model is a Plus), so you can use the normal activation bypass methods for webOS 1.x to get onto the phone and activate a Palm profile.
    Not CDMA Pixi's, but the older Pixi- model.

The Pixi Plus's have WiFi
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 >
    Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > Blackberry Priv
    My Palm OS Archive
    Is there any reason why you can't just buy a Verizon Pixi Plus off of Ebay?? I picked one up a couple of weeks ago for $16, including shipping.

It was listed as "refurbished", but was actually more of an "open box" deal. Brand new condition.
    jasontaylor7 likes this.
    Er.. Yeah without WiFi how were you expecting to use it without a data connection?

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Since the original Pixi does not have WiFi, an active service line is the only way you can really get any use out of one. The Pixi Plus on the other hand, does have WiFi (Verizon's model is a Plus), so you can use the normal activation bypass methods for webOS 1.x to get onto the phone and activate a Palm profile.
    One also can side load homebrew apps with WOSQI. But agree a Pixi (without WiFi, and not activated to a data plan), is a good brick.
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jasontaylor7 View Post
    I'm posting this because had I read it long ago it would have saved me a ton of time. So it should perhaps be in a faq or something. It is mostly a warning for others thinking of buying a pixi off of ebay. After reading and testing, it seems true that these phones are now junk unless you are an original owner. The reason is that you cannot easily have access to the app catalog unless you get a normal data contract from either sprint or verizon, which is like $90 just for one minute it takes to create a palm account. Little software=nearly worthless brick. With a gsm pixi or any pre you can either unlock it or borrow a sim card from a friend or even use impostah, but at the end of the day there is presently no non-insane way to get any applications on these cdma pixis. Btw, it didn't save me any time by having them call this OS open. What's open are a few free homebrewed apps making up <1% of the # of apps in the real app catalog under hp lock and key.

OTOH, if I'm wrong, please post a non-insane method of getting access to the app catalog including links to all software that is required and a complete description of the all steps that are required without exceeding the character limits of this forum. You are welcome to cut and paste but all the steps must be in a single post to this thread with or without links to the original posts(s). There also needs to be clarity on the chance of success being high as opposed to mere bs speculation.

Cheers,
    Jason
    I know it has been said... but really dude, RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH... you should understand everything possible about a device before you buy it, don't just come here and deem the device "worthless" because you don't know what you are buying
    jasontaylor7 and dignitary like this.

OTOH, if I'm wrong, please post a non-insane method of getting access to the app catalog including links to all software that is required and a complete description of the all steps that are required without exceeding the character limits of this forum. You are welcome to cut and paste but all the steps must be in a single post to this thread with or without links to the original posts(s). There also needs to be clarity on the chance of success being high as opposed to mere bs speculation.

Cheers,
    Jason
    Yeah picked an original StarTac the other day, I was hoping to play Angry Bird and Stream video.
    I'm very disappointed and recommend everone to NOT BUY A MOTOROLA STARTAC
    Attached Images Attached Images
    In all fairness, The original Pixi was released less than 3 years ago. Sprint was still selling it into late 2010.

That's a relatively new phone. There may be people just coming out of their contract with the Pixi.

A StarTac is hardly a comparison.
    jasontaylor7 likes this.
    ...post a non-insane method of getting access to the app catalog including links to all software that is required and a complete description of the all steps that are required without exceeding the character limits of this forum. You are welcome to cut and paste but all the steps must be in a single post to this thread with or without links to the original posts(s). There also needs to be clarity on the chance of success being high as opposed to mere bs speculation.
    demanding little sob isn't he? good thing we're welcome to cut and paste... for a bit I thought he was going to run it through a plagiarism scanner as well!
    OK folks... no more smackdowns please.
    @jasontaylor7 - please be aware of the tone of your posts on the site. Members have always been willing to help if someone "asks" them. Demanding help and complaining will get nothing but backlash. We will keep this thread open if you are indeed asking for assistance, otherwise we will close it up. You didn't buy a wifi device, so as other pointed out - the issue is simply that.

Thank you
    Site Staff
  12.    #12  
    Wow, thanks for the clear, detailed, accurate, and kind replies. What an excellent community to have donated so much feedback, so quickly! The kind replies empowered me to continue my attempts at getting the "app catalog" app to validate me. Great news, I eventually got it to work! I simply could not have done it without you, especially the person whose post was actually detailed, but was apparently deleted.

Ok, so, what was my problem? Well, firstly, it seems most of you got one thing wrong. The verizon pixi only was released in plus/wifi format, so when I included verizon in my post about all cdma pixis, it was a clue that I actually do have a plus/wifi pixi. I’m sorry I didn’t get a chance to post that you were all on the wrong track sooner, but I had stuff going on, and didn’t get a chance to do more testing until now. I wanted to try everything again before posting when it became clear there was a reasonable chance of success.

No, the problem for my access to the app catalog seems to be an undocumented security issue that eventually even fully locked me out of the "app catalog" app. Due to the plethora of support from the above posters to whom I am indebted, I went through the possible steps again, backtracking. I realized I needed to put the phone in a virgin state, to undue the damage from the activation bypass. Realize, all activation bypass does is get you on the phone, it doesn't allow you to set up a palm app catalog account. Mind you, that’s why there are so many posts of problem others have also had getting a working app catalog account, including official ones, like:

https://developer.palm.com/content/r...ed_device.html

Code:
    Limitations of Unactivated Devices 

There are several limitations on devices that have skipped activation and first use:
    … App Catalog content will not be available. You will be able to launch the App Catalog client on the device, but you won't see any apps.
    So I guessed the activation bypass trick I used was part of the problem. There are different paths to take, but the "app catalog" app gave me errors regardless of which route I selected. It might be that an undocumented security “feature” locked me out after trying so many times in so many different ways, as upon clicking the app catalog it would immediately give me an error, and refused to even let me get to the login screen. This was after I had started using impostah. The error was something like "The action could not be completed. Try again later." One of those irritating errors that says nothing specific.

Ok, so how did I fix it? The trick that ultimately worked was to install and run the “Show First Use” app. It put my phone back into a more virgin state, so I could activate it over wifi. I had zero problems once I did that except a trivial one not worth getting into. It was like it was a virgin phone the instant I ran that app. So it is ironic, but, as best I can recall, what worked for me was as follows, in case anyone else has similar problem getting access to the app catalog:

1. Install java.
    2. Run NovacomInstaller_x86.msi (use google, the other two drivers are gone or don’t work)
    3. Run WebOSQuickInstall-4.4.0.jar
    4. Put phone in developer mode by turning on with up volume button on. (No need to remove batt)
    5. Install preware.
    6. Remove phone.
    7. Wait for reboot. Then type webOS20090606 into the search engine. Might already be developer mode, but need to be sure.
    8. Plug in to charge only.
    9. Install “Show First Use App” (“First Use”)
    10. Run the first use app.
    11. Reboot phone.
    12. It will ask to create a new account. (Create new accounts whenever possible, as might be your only chance. Use a different email address just to be sure there is no hiccup.)
    13. After activation, run app catalog, create new account.

This was from memory, so it might be a little off. (Based on the tone of some of the responses, and lack of many people chiming in with a similar problem, it seems that I am in a minority, so there isn’t a need to double check stuff.) The main lesson I can attempt to give others is to not give up and that the "show first use app" allows access to the app catalog if you have problems and get locked out of the app.

Thanks again for all of the encouraging words allowing me to get it to work. I’ll edit the 1st post to correct the fact that I was wrong. (I guess I was right about the sprint pixis, which aren't pluses afaikafaikafaik.)
    twitter com /jasontaylor7 A fresh post each day!
    HelloNNNewman likes this.
    all of that is pretty well known and documented in various places, though I won't claim that I could have listed off exact steps from memory. you got the (lack of) help you got because of the way you asked demanded. Also, nothng in your original post implied you had anything other than a sprint pixi, which actually is almost completely unusable without being activated with a sprint voice and data plan. "cdma pixi" is far more likely to be read as "Sprint Pixi" rather than "Verizon Pixi Plus".
    Last edited by johnsonx42; 10/04/2012 at 12:38 AM.
    My apologies for sounding snarky, but I don't inherently know that the only Pixi for Verizon was the Plus, I only know you said Pixi

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    HelloNNNewman likes this.