1.    #1  
    I'm planning on buying this phone from Amazon (link here: Amazon.com: Palm Pixi Plus GSM with WebOS, Touch Screen, 2 MP Camera and Wi-Fi - Unlocked Phone - US Warranty - Black: Electronics)
    I'm originally from Tmobile and I've had an unlocked phone before. I don't have the data plan ( and I don't plan on getting it! ) but I do have unlimited calling and texting.
    For this phone, I was just wondering if you HAVE to have a data plan in order to use this phone? I've read many reviews that say that you must have a data plan in order to activate the phone OR you can bypass it.. Is this true? Is the activation to this phone hard and worth it?
    Also, for this phone, if I don't have a data plan am I able to use/connect to wifi? For example, if I'm at Starbucks or something like that, will the phone be able to connect to the wifi? And would it cost money?

Please help me out here! This phone looks like a fantastic phone, especially for the price, but I don't want to buy it if it's too hard to activate, etc. Thanks!
    You can bypass activation to set up WiFi, then remove the bypass flags and return to First Use setup on reboot.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
    You can bypass activation to set up WiFi, then remove the bypass flags and return to First Use setup on reboot.
    Would using the wifi cost money? So you don't need a data plan?
    You'd be paying whatever actually getting the WiFi costs (cable/DSL, coffee shop, etc.). I'd recommend a data plan for convenience, but I don't think there are any apps other than GPS navigation (away from a WiFi signal, that is) will require a data plan. Be sure to turn off data in the settings, as some (most?) carriers will still allow you to use data and charge you $5 per megabyte.
  5.    #5  
    You'd be paying whatever actually getting the WiFi costs (cable/DSL, coffee shop, etc.). I'd recommend a data plan for convenience, but I don't think there are any apps other than GPS navigation (away from a WiFi signal, that is) will require a data plan. Be sure to turn off data in the settings, as some (most?) carriers will still allow you to use data and charge you $5 per megabyte.
    Oh okay! Thanks! So do you have this phone? Was the set up/activation straight forward and is it a good phone?
    I don't. I base my answers off of general webOS knowledge and forum posts. But I wish I had a webOS phone. If all goes well, you'll see the phone activate for a second and then go directly into setup. It's pretty straight forward. (Of course, there are people who used dialer codes for activation bypass or something, and I never figured out why.)
    Having owned both phones, I'd seriously consider buying the Veer with this deal that RumoredNow dug up at Walmart. The keyboard on the Pixi is nicer than the Veer, but not by much: and overall the phone is a lot snappier than my VZW Pixi.
  8.    #8  
    I don't. I base my answers off of general webOS knowledge and forum posts. But I wish I had a webOS phone. If all goes well, you'll see the phone activate for a second and then go directly into setup. It's pretty straight forward. (Of course, there are people who used dialer codes for activation bypass or something, and I never figured out why.)
    Okay! So for the activation is it also okay if you don't want to "bypass" it, can you put a sim card in that has data, activate the phone with that Sim, then once you finished, take the Sim out and put in your own Sim card ( the one without data) ? I read this somewhere, I wasn't sure if it was right.. Or do you just recommend bypassing it? ( Whatever that is! )
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by allstarkenyan View Post
    Having owned both phones, I'd seriously consider buying the Veer with this deal that RumoredNow dug up at Walmart. The keyboard on the Pixi is nicer than the Veer, but not by much: and overall the phone is a lot snappier than my VZW Pixi.
    It looks like a very nice phone! However it is 4G and I don't have a data plan, so I'm guessing I have to stick with the Pixie Plus instead?
    Quote Originally Posted by chellestyles View Post
    It looks like a very nice phone! However it is 4G and I don't have a data plan, so I'm guessing I have to stick with the Pixie Plus instead?
    The methods GMMan are describing apply to any webOS phone...

The simplest and easiest way to set up any webOS phone if you are going to run without data is, as you mentioned in one post, borrow a SIM that has data... Insert and boot up. Establish a HP/Palm profile. You may have to configure APN data settings to do this - be prepared to do so...

Power down, replace SIM with the dataless one and reboot. Then go into the dialer settings and turn data use off to keep the phone from trying to use it (not turning it off will drain battery as it "bumps" against the carrier trying to access data and gets rejected). Go through Apps and any that use data automatically by default need to be set to manual (like the Backup App and email should be set to manual refresh as well).

At their core most things are fairly consistent with every webOS phone.

Now...

The Pixi + you linked to is $99
    The Veer through Walmart is $109

For ten dollars more I think it is totally worth it for you to move to a Veer. Faster CPU, newer OS, manufactured more recently, same screen size and resolution... I consider the slider type an advantage (your opinion may differ )

Also there are some pretty good deals out there on used webOS phones. You could probably find a lot of choices for $100 or less except for a Pre 3...

Also - what plan are you on?

Some carriers are known for forcing you to buy data for a smartphone even if you have no plans to use data with it... They have ways of identifying what model of phone you are running... And some lock down their SIM cards so you can't swap them.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    The methods GMMan are describing apply to any webOS phone...

The simplest and easiest way to set up any webOS phone if you are going to run without data is, as you mentioned in one post, borrow a SIM that has data... Insert and boot up. Establish a HP/Palm profile. You may have to configure APN data settings to do this - be prepared to do so...

Power down, replace SIM with the dataless one and reboot. Then go into the dialer settings and turn data use off to keep the phone from trying to use it (not turning it off will drain battery as it "bumps" against the carrier trying to access data and gets rejected). Go through Apps and any that use data automatically by default need to be set to manual (like the Backup App and email should be set to manual refresh as well).

At their core most things are fairly consistent with every webOS phone.

Now...

The Pixi + you linked to is $99
    The Veer through Walmart is $109

For ten dollars more I think it is totally worth it for you to move to a Veer. Faster CPU, newer OS, manufactured more recently, same screen size and resolution... I consider the slider type an advantage (your opinion may differ )

Also there are some pretty good deals out there on used webOS phones. You could probably find a lot of choices for $100 or less except for a Pre 3...

Also - what plan are you on?

Some carriers are known for forcing you to buy data for a smartphone even if you have no plans to use data with it... They have ways of identifying what model of phone you are running... And some lock down their SIM cards so you can't swap them.
    Wow thanks so much for all the great info! However, so if I were to do the Sim swap, I would still be able to connect to wifi correct? And connecting to wifi ( not data! ) would be at no cost?

Also, I checked the veer on Amazon and it said smartphone? Wouldn't that be a problem with my cell phone plan? I'm originally from Tmobile, and I only have unlimited talk and text. I've had experience in unlocked phones though.

Finally, what does a "newer OS" mean? What are its advantages?
    Thanks!
    Wow thanks so much for all the great info! However, so if I were to do the Sim swap, I would still be able to connect to wifi correct? And connecting to wifi ( not data! ) would be at no cost?

Also, I checked the veer on Amazon and it said smartphone? Wouldn't that be a problem with my cell phone plan? I'm originally from Tmobile, and I only have unlimited talk and text. I've had experience in unlocked phones though.

Finally, what does a "newer OS" mean? What are its advantages?
    Thanks!
    Yes... activate with data SIM (borrowed) then swap in dataless SIM and you still have WiFi. If you use free hotspots WiFi cost = 0.

So far as I know, T-Mo is one of the companies that does not punish users with smartphone fees if they want to run without data. BTW Pixi is also classed as a smartphone as well. Check with a T-Mo store just to be sure. But if you tell them you are disabling data manually on your phone, I think they let you use a data free SIM without hassle. YMMV.

Pixi + has webOS 1.4.5 and Veer has 2.1.2. It is one generation ahead of Pixi. More App compatibility with currently maintained Apps.

Either can be upgraded OS-wise but requires work and knowledge of command line programming. Veer is more advanced out of the box.
    Last edited by RumoredNow; 09/08/2012 at 01:57 PM.

Mobile Nations Devotee
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    Yes... activate with data SIM (borrowed) then swap in dataless SIM and you still have WiFi. If you use free hotspots WiFi cost = 0.

So far as I know, T-Mo is one of the companies that does not punish users with smartphone fees if they want to run without data. BTW Pixi is a classed as a smartphone as well. Check with a T-Mo store just to be sure. But if you tell them you are disabling data manually on your phone, I think they let you use a data free SIM without hassle. YMMV.

Pixi + has webOS 1.4.5 and Veer has 2.1.2. It is one generation ahead of Pixi. More App compatibility with currently maintained Apps.

Either can be upgraded OS-wise but requires work and knowledge of command line programming. Veer is more advanced out of the box.
    Oh okay great. For wifi, say you have wifi at your house, that would work as well too right?

Also for the sim swap, say its an ATT sim ( with data) and you activate the phone, would it be okay then to put in a TMOBILE sim card without data? (Basically their two different carriers) & Nothing would happen to the ATT sim card, like no cost or nothing will show up on the bill or anything?

Do you know what kinds of apps are available for the Pixie+? Like Facebook, Twitter or would you have to go on a browser app to go on those sites?

& Would you say that the Pixie+ is a longlasting phone? Because my last unlocked phone that I got from Amazon was an LG Xenon and it didn't even last a year because its charging port would no longer work.. I'm really hoping this phone will last me a very long time?

Sorry for all these questions, but thanks!!
    Oh okay great. For wifi, say you have wifi at your house, that would work as well too right?

Also for the sim swap, say its an ATT sim ( with data) and you activate the phone, would it be okay then to put in a TMOBILE sim card without data? (Basically their two different carriers) & Nothing would happen to the ATT sim card, like no cost or nothing will show up on the bill or anything?

Do you know what kinds of apps are available for the Pixie+? Like Facebook, Twitter or would you have to go on a browser app to go on those sites?

& Would you say that the Pixie+ is a longlasting phone? Because my last unlocked phone that I got from Amazon was an LG Xenon and it didn't even last a year because its charging port would no longer work.. I'm really hoping this phone will last me a very long time?

Sorry for all these questions, but thanks!!
    The paid data is encoded in the SIM which tells the phone at what level of access it is enabled. Using a borrowed SIM borrows all those conditions paid for under the plan the SIM is from. Swapping SIMs does nothing irrevocable to the phones or SIMs involved. It would not entatil any additional charges. So long as the phone is unlocked swapping SIMS is not a problem in any way.

WiFi is WiFi. If it is at your house and your phone has the passkey to get on the network you get on. My home WiFi is WPA2-Personal security with AES encryption and a security passkey. I just typed in the password once and it is saved in the phone. I have no problems connecting either webOS phone to WiFi. Hotels, Internet cafes and other businesses might require a password to keep their WiFi reserved for customers. Fast Food chains and other establishments have open WiFi without passwords and can be connected to freely - however, these are not as secure. The hazard mostly applies to Windows laptops, Android phones and other popular targets of malware and spyware.

I've not used a Pixi or any 1.x phone. I'm recent to webOS myself having gotten a Pre 2 in April, 2012 and a Veer after that.

I believe there are 1.x Apps for the social networking sites. Not sure. I don't really use those things. (I'm old and cantankerous )

Check the Apps threads and forums to get a better idea of what is out there OR look around this Pixi forum and the Veer forum to see what users have been doing with their phones and any problems they have reported.

Mobile Nations Devotee