Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Shadowflank
  • 1 Post By RumoredNow
  • 1 Post By RumoredNow
  • 1 Post By Shadowflank
  • 1 Post By bassman97
  • 1 Post By Shadowflank
  1.    #1  
    I've been meddling about with various settings to create a harmonic balance between powersave and performance, with little or no luck.

Conservative governor might as well be called the 'stick at the lowest and never shift up' one. Tried everything, but it will /not/ shift up in frequency and stays at 128.

Best I've seen was with msm7k, which wasn't listed in the help, and I figured ondemandtcl was the best fit for a powersave profile.

Have you Pixi owners out there found this harmonic balance for Govnah? Also, what in the hell does max tickle/floor window do, because Google yeilds a dead topic from a year ago.

-- Sent from my Palm Pixi using Forums
    Proud user of a Palm Pre+ on T-Mobile running 1.4.5 in New Orleans, Louisiana
    --
    Need some help getting Odamex on WebOS
    Remember the bombardment of letters WebOS users hopefully sent to HP? Well, we need you again loyal users. Click and sign to entertain the slight notion of this petition reaching LG. The numbers rise daily, we need to keep going! Even if its slim to none, its better than doing nothing and complaining!
  2.    #2  
    Since it seems apparent to me that most of the userbase lurks and reaps benefits of others, I have successfully created a rough powersave profile to drop normal usage down to as low as 4-5 percent an hour. 2-3 on standby.

Want the settings? You're gonna have to work for it ya lurkers. Surely there is someone out there with the knowledge to fine tune this profile, but due to absolutely no interest in saving power or sharing govnah settings/experience, nobody will find out right away.

So the catch I was talking about earlier..yeah.

You post your personal preferences or experiences with tweaks and power consumption.

I give you a PM with the profile settings.

Just like a good 'ol fashioned private torrent tracker.

Tis only fair, since as I said, it seems some people want to leech, never adding input unless it pertains to them, or it's broken. All the good guys moved on to bigger and better things it seems.

Edit: Forgot to mention that after reaching page 2, I'll post the profile to be public, as I should have enough collaborative data to fine tune the profile.

Last edited by Shadowflank; 09/02/2012 at 11:33 PM.
    --
    Remember the bombardment of letters WebOS users hopefully sent to HP? Well, we need you again loyal users. Click and sign to entertain the slight notion of this petition reaching LG. The numbers rise daily, we need to keep going! Even if its slim to none, its better than doing nothing and complaining!
    RumoredNow likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowflank View Post
    Since it seems apparent to me that most of the userbase lurks and reaps benefits of others, I have successfully created a rough powersave profile to drop normal usage down to as low as 4-5 percent an hour. 2-3 on standby.

Want the settings? You're gonna have to work for it ya lurkers. Surely there is someone out there with the knowledge to fine tune this profile, but due to absolutely no interest in saving power or sharing govnah settings/experience, nobody will find out right away.
    You're coming across to me as a tad snide. But then again, that's just me.

Anyway, I'd have more to say, but I lack any experience with the Pixi or OS 1.x. (never heard of msm7k)
    ------------
    My suggestion for anyone (I don't see this being discussed much): Undervolting.
    (I'm not responsible for anyone's device dying, just a standard disclaimer)
    I'm not sure if the benefit is noticeable, but every bit counts. (Note, it's there on my Pre 2, idk about the Pixi, since I don't have one)

So, in the settings, there are CPU and System Voltages options. Dropping those should reduce heat and power consumption.

Govnah prevents you from dropping them too much at once as a safeguard (even lower voltages become available after applying lower voltages.)

Finding the right voltage is largely a hit-and-miss. Keep on dropping voltage, play around, check and make sure it's stable. (if it crashes, it should revert back to default settings) When it does crash, kick it back up a notch or two and that's the minimum voltage your CPU will tolerate. (I would write down numbers and stuff when testing)
    Note: Your processor's tolerance could possibly change with age, and higher speeds generally require higher voltages.

My Pre 2:
    CPU: (1.2 GHz) 58, (1 GHz) 52, (600 MHz) 38, (300 MHz) 28, 28 (150 MHz. <- why is this option here? It never drops that low...)
    System: 42
    (My values are probably not the lowest you can go, since I didn't really spend the time testing lower voltages, YMMV)
    ---------------
    Powersave Bias is another option, RumoredNow has his Pre 2 set at 10.
    ---------------
    I have a question, what's the normal power drain of your Pixi? -180 mA? -300 mA?
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 >
    Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > Blackberry Priv
    My Palm OS Archive
    LOLz... well I hope my settings I posted elsewhere (search for 'em you lurkers ) helped you reach a battery consumption state that you are comfortable with...

I've a Mugen 1400 in my Pre 2 that is fairly new and still 100% Health. I recently put away the Veer and got out the Pre 2 to exercise it. I charged it up to 1465 mAH on Wed night and that finished at 11:00pm my time. I made maybe two phone calls. Poked my email (2 accounts) three to four times a day to refresh manually and read whatever new emails I found. Some quick web surfing and some App use that requires interwebs each day. Every day when I go to work I have to put my phone in airplane mode, but I don't turn it off... My battery lasted from Wed 11:00pm until Sat at 9:30pm. When I put it on the touchstone it still had 32% charge according to Dr. Battery...

So: to all who bemoan the poor battery life of webOS devices - IT CAN BE OVERCOME!!!

I look forward to seeing what gets posted here, even though I don't have a Pixi. It's a subject that interests me greatly and I always want to learn more. Thanks, Shadowflank, for taking this on.

P.S.: To any doubting Thomas's... My Veer with a 910 mAH battery typically lasts me 3-4 days as well. I'm not a heavy user, but my standby drain is very low and I usually have plenty of reserve left when I drop my phone on a touchstone...
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    xandros9 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by xandros9 View Post
    ---------------
    Powersave Bias is another option, RumoredNow has his Pre 2 set at 10.
    ---------------
    My Veer as well... I run almost identical between the two. I think a big part of it is finding what works for your style of device use. Once you hit a formula that works for you it should yield similar results when applied to another device you run...

I keep meaning to read up on voltage regulation and trying some tweaks. Thanks, xandros, for reminding me. Maybe I'll do some tests on my next off days from work.

Mobile Nations Devotee
    xandros9 likes this.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    My Veer as well... I run almost identical between the two. I think a big part of it is finding what works for your style of device use. Once you hit a formula that works for you it should yield similar results when applied to another device you run...

I keep meaning to read up on voltage regulation and trying some tweaks. Thanks, xandros, for reminding me. Maybe I'll do some tests on my next off days from work.

It really wasn't me being snide at all, I don't have a problem sharing my options but when everyone views and nobody contributes..well, it just infuriates me. It's like having a pile of money and saying 'pay it forward' but everyone takes the money and never pays it forward.

The pixi cannot be configured for undervoltage that I know of, so that's out. And as for rumored's settings, I based my original profile on his but it sucked.

No offense just my personal usage didn't fit it. I also maxxed out the powersave bias. It's set to 1000. My general power consumption usually idles at 100-130 average, and doesn't usually go above 250. Max %/hr is usually never above 10. Highest was 8.99 from two hours of monitoring with 15s polls.

I'll post a screenshot later with the profile, but nobody knows what the hell max tickle/floor window means? Google goes here, which is a dead topic for two years.

--
    RumoredNow likes this.
    Someone tell me what lag-free gov does
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by kill_Dano View Post
    What?

--
    ... And as for rumored's settings, I based my original profile on his but it sucked.

No offense just my personal usage didn't fit it...
    LOL and no offence taken. It is a highly subjective setup. I would readily agree no settings would be universal.

...nobody knows what the hell max tickle/floor window means? Google goes here, which is a dead topic for two years.
    Yeah, I got nothing and the Help file is blank. I bet Rod knows.

Quote Originally Posted by kill_Dano View Post
    Lag Free means a smoother power-up, power-down ramp for the CPU - like a bell curve. As opposed to the On Demand model which "snaps" the CPU to each new frequency as required by Govnah settings...
    Last edited by RumoredNow; 09/07/2012 at 11:49 AM. Reason: typo

Mobile Nations Devotee

I'll post a screenshot later with the profile, but nobody knows what the hell max tickle/floor window means? Google goes here, which is a dead topic for two years.
    I've been wondering that for years. My best guess is that it controls the max time it's allowed to stay at the high frequency and how long it's allowed to stay at the low frequency before jumping up. That's my best guess for those settings.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman97 View Post
    I've been wondering that for years. My best guess is that it controls the max time it's allowed to stay at the high frequency and how long it's allowed to stay at the low frequency before jumping up. That's my best guess for those settings.
    Based solely on guesswork I'd agree that it has to do with controlling the polling of the CPU for changes of state...

Tickle would be time between changes of state instruction... Floor being time at state before allowing drop off to lower frequencies...

So if your Tickle was set at 3 seconds and Floor at 5 seconds and other usage parameters told Govnah to reduce frequency the Tickle would come to slow the CPU but would be unable to for 2 more seconds because the Floor holds the higher speed in case demand ramps up again.

All this is unconfirmed speculation...

Mobile Nations Devotee
  12.    #12  
    Shameless bump.

Sorry I never posted a screenshot guys, I kinda forgot to out of everything in life that was going on.

Currently that device is dead, with all the data on it corroded by sushi vinegar. Plus sometimes it would bog the phone down horribly and cause you to miss calls along with notifications.

Here is my setup for my Pre+:
    Governor: Screenstate
    Min Freq: 125mhz
    Max freq: 748.8mhz
    CPU Voltage: 69 66 65 60 48 36 30
    System Voltage: 44
    Temp limit: 50c
    Temp reset: 45c
    Bat. Low Threshold: 25%
    Bat. Low speed: 500mhz
    Charger override: no
    compcache: no
    compcache memlimit: 15
    IO: Anticipatory
    TCP congestion: CUBIC
    The results on my Pixi for similar settings were astounding and mimic'd this one while the phone is not in use, although this profile is 10x more stable. I have not run battery monitor for a prolonged period of time to test the power consumption of various usages of the device.

The only differences really were the sampling rate was .3 or .1 seconds, I can't remember, and ignoring the nice load helped a bit but at the cost of the pulseaudio issues and missing notifications along with calls. Powersave bias was 1000 as said, and the up threshold was 20%, If I recall correctly. I was using CUBIC for 2G, before T-mo started giving me more 3G towers nearby.

With the current profile the phone will last probably over a day while not in use, but I can drain it in an hour with full blown 3G speed. I may try out Veno or Westwood+ instead of CUBIC to see how the network performance differs.

Hope this helps guys!

EDIT: Screenstate is not available on the Pixi with uberkernel, I used OnDemand. I wish Screenstate v2 was available for the Pre+ and uberkernel on 1.4.5, I didn't like the other kernel that had it.
    --
    RumoredNow likes this.
    ...Powersave bias was 1000 as said, and the up threshold was 20%, If I recall correctly. I was using CUBIC for 2G, before T-mo started giving me more 3G towers nearby...

With the current profile the phone will last probably over a day while not in use, but I can drain it in an hour with full blown 3G speed. I may try out Veno or Westwood+ instead of CUBIC to see how the network performance differs...
    Powersave Bias at 1000 tells the Governor to save as much as possible...
    Up threshhold 20% tells it to overclock at a minimal load...

Seems like the two are at odds.

I spent a long afternoon testing all the TCP congestion settings on a Pre 2. I'd save a setting, run 3 speed tests with the Speed Test app and jot down the numbers... Westwood gave me the best results. That's what I always run now.

Mobile Nations Devotee
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    Powersave Bias at 1000 tells the Governor to save as much as possible...
    Up threshhold 20% tells it to overclock at a minimal load...

Seems like the two are at odds.

I spent a long afternoon testing all the TCP congestion settings on a Pre 2. I'd save a setting, run 3 speed tests with the Speed Test app and jot down the numbers... Westwood gave me the best results. That's what I always run now.
    Hmm. Like I said I tried many different configurations, I think the final one may have been closer to 80-85 or 90%

I'll swap to westwood and see how that goes.
    --