1.    #1  
    Hi Everyone,

I am just buying my new pixi now. Being totally new to the Palm OS could anyone tell me or direct me to the threads on how to mod it and for lack of a better term "trick" it out?

Warm Regards
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    Welcome to the nation! The easiest way to start out is to look for the webOS Homebrew Documentation app in the catalog. It's 99 cents, which literally is a small price to pay!
    Your other option is to look for webOS Quick Install, or "WOSQI". Install it on your *computer* and go from there. I believe you want to look for a thread on here for Getting Started With webOS Quick Install" and follow their instructions for connecting your device and entering "developer mode".
    The first thing you want to install is PREWARE along with APP TUCKERBOX. Preware will open you up to the world of homebrew apps and patches ("trick" it out). When you add App Tuckerbox, Preware becomes your one-stop-shop for ALL app feeds, including the official catalog and beta apps.
    I'll let others tell you about patches for things like overclocking, etc.
    Enjoy!
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    -carldc

m500>T3>T|X>Treo 755p>Pre>Pixi>Pre 3>Galaxy S4 Mini>Galaxy Alpha>Galaxy S8
    ..........................................TouchPad............Surface Pro
    PalmOS-------------------webOS-------------------Android (just waiting for webOS to rise again!)
  4.    #4  
    thanks guys. It's just a totally different animal than android or apple os. I'm just hoping since Palm dosen't really exist anymore there can be a lot more modification and customization.
    Quote Originally Posted by carldc View Post
    The first thing you want to install is PREWARE along with APP TUCKERBOX.
    The first thing you definitely DONT want to do is configure tuckerbox. It will freeze his Pixi due to it being a 'legacy' device with 256mb of ram. I should know, I own one and it has frozen loading tucker feeds. However, do install Preware first.

If you can afford it, drop .99c on the documentation, they've earned it. If you can't, you'd better have three pairs of damn clothes and just got out of living under a bridge like I did, or have another good reason. Being a cheapskate isn't good enough

If you can't, a fellow posted a link which I'm sure will help you. If not, check out the webos-internals wiki for everything you need to know about webos and toying with internals.

Also, Palm chose to have an mostly openly available developer mode. They don't care what you do with the thing aslong as you don't cry to them when it breaks.

Palm isn't dead, just owned by the special kid from down the street now.
    Proud user of a Palm Pre+ on T-Mobile running 1.4.5 in New Orleans, Louisiana
    --
    Need some help getting Odamex on WebOS
    Remember the bombardment of letters WebOS users hopefully sent to HP? Well, we need you again loyal users. Click and sign to entertain the slight notion of this petition reaching LG. The numbers rise daily, we need to keep going! Even if its slim to none, its better than doing nothing and complaining!
    Preware is a must, a couple patches in Preware are a must (enhancing performance), but most are up to personal preference.

After a while, if you're feeling adventurous, you could try upgrading to webOS 2.1 (it's scary and could cause more performance problems due to increased system requirements)

I have to ask, how is the speed & "reliability" of the Pixi?
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 >
    Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > Blackberry Priv
    My Palm OS Archive
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowflank View Post
    The first thing you definitely DONT want to do is configure tuckerbox. It will freeze his Pixi due to it being a 'legacy' device with 256mb of ram. I should know, I own one and it has frozen loading tucker feeds. However, do install Preware first.

It isn't due to either. It's due to Palm's laziness in optimizing the VM settings and not including a large enough swap partition. I had no problems with loading those feeds on mine with my optimized VM settings and larger 500 MB swap. Plus as a bonus, the Pixi no longer feels handicapped.
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman97 View Post
    It isn't due to either. It's due to Palm's laziness in optimizing the VM settings and not including a large enough swap partition. I had no problems with loading those feeds on mine with my optimized VM settings and larger 500 MB swap. Plus as a bonus, the Pixi no longer feels handicapped.
    Yes but using more flash memory as swap leads to premature deterioration of the memory, such as with my n800 and the dedicated, brand new 256mb (which I got years ago, used to have a 64mb one) sd card just for swap usage. So have fun with your dying chunk of unreplaceable internal memory.

I was half asleep but yes, they will load on a semi stock pixi or even a stock one possibly, but it will take a very long time.

You usually don't want to wait that long for that functionality, I sure don't. I just use the app catalog and preware. Doesn't bother me and reminds me that my device isn't dead yet.

As for pixi reliability, it's reliable for the most part and mine runs at 806mhz with little or no issues.

As a side note, what jvm optimizations are you referring to? Do you have a link to a guide of sorts? I'm using my pixi as a semi-full linux computer, compiling software daily on it. Current of which would be LFS for a chroot dev environment
    Proud user of a Palm Pre+ on T-Mobile running 1.4.5 in New Orleans, Louisiana
    --
    Need some help getting Odamex on WebOS
    Remember the bombardment of letters WebOS users hopefully sent to HP? Well, we need you again loyal users. Click and sign to entertain the slight notion of this petition reaching LG. The numbers rise daily, we need to keep going! Even if its slim to none, its better than doing nothing and complaining!