• 1 Post By greenoyster
  • 1 Post By OldSkoolVWLover
  • 1 Post By OldSkoolVWLover
  • 1 Post By RumoredNow
  • 1 Post By RumoredNow
  • 1 Post By johnsonx42
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    About three weeks i posted a thread with a message to decide whether or not activating my Palm Pixi Plus on T-Mobile was a good idea.

After activating it on T-Mobile's network, I got past activation quite easily. However, after i put my AT&T SIM card in, I noticed that the phone had no service and was SOS only. (My plan with AT&T is a GoPhone plan, a 10 cents a minute plan. )

This bothered me as I planned to use the phone as my primary means of communication, and thus could not use it to the fullest extent.

Is there any way to get past the SOS only service. I know i put a lock code on my SIM, but so far could not unlock through the Pixi. Is there any other way than pay an activation fee?

With regards, Weaver.
    Normally it should automatically prompt you to enter the lock code. You could try opening the phone app and swipe from the top left to open the menu and see if there's anything in the preferences. Other than that, I guess try rebooting and/or toggling airplane mode to see if it makes a difference.
    TheWeaver likes this.
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    I have already unlocked the SIM card and made sure I was using AT&T through Network preferences, but I still have the SOS only sign there.
    GoPhone doesn't allow smartphones from what I have been told. Assuming it's an ATT Pixi, the network probably recognized it as a smartphone.

For example, ATT automatically recognizes Veer, but the Pre3 and Pre2 don't get recognized.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    TheWeaver likes this.
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    What if I were to switch to T-Mobile? Would I have phone functionalities still?
    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK. $I$ $would$ $suggest$ $jumping$ $off$ $GoPhone$ $and$ $going$ $to$ $Straight$ $Talk$.. $still$ $on$ $ATT$ $towers$ $so$ $you$ $won$'$t$ $lose$ $functionality$ $or$ $data$ $speeds$.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    TheWeaver likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWeaver View Post
    What if I were to switch to T-Mobile? Would I have phone functionalities still?
    On T-Mo all you will get is Edge... There are reports they are moving some 4G off the 1700 band, but that won't help with your 3G phone...

As always I recommend Straight Talk and the "Bring your own phone" plan. $15 for a SIM and you have to use the $45/month plan but it's an all included thing so a solid value. Runs on AT&T's network. You phone has all the hardware compatibility you need.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    TheWeaver likes this.
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Straight Talk, huh.... It still works off of AT&T towers, though... Would they still be able to track my IMEI? I still wish to use a pay as you go plan without data, preferably as cheap as possible.
    For ST it isn't about tracking IMEI... It's about activation. You can not activate your own phone with their stand alone SIM unless you use the $45/month plan. It's the only plan allowing you to use a phone on their service that hasn't been sold by them.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWeaver View Post
    Straight Talk, huh.... It still works off of AT&T towers, though... Would they still be able to track my IMEI? I still wish to use a pay as you go plan without data, preferably as cheap as possible.

Now it becomes clearer.... If you are going to run without data on the network (WiFi data only) then T-MO will probably suit you just fine. It won't affect your voice or SMS text capabilities at all being on Edge speed... I'd just check with them first to make sure they won't pull an AT&T and demand "smart phone" money/support if you configure not to use it... I may have read in this forum that they don't, but can't remember where or if I got the details right.

Here's some Google finds on that...
    The 411: A T-Mobile smartphone without a data plan | Dialed In - CNET Blogs
    How Can I Use My Smartphone Without a Data Plan?
    http://www.quora.com/Whats-the-best-...hout-data-plan

...which seem to suggest that T-Mo will work for voice without enforced data like you want...

You could configure your Pixi + to only use 2G in dialer preferences to avoid battery drain from it searching for 3G signal and also disable data use. I think that would about do it.

I guess I'm preconditioned a bit to assume it is either full use with data or WiFi only with no carrier for use configurations. Sorry I didn't fully understand what it was you were trying to do at first.

Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    TheWeaver likes this.
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Activation is not a problem. I have already activated the phone by using a friend's SIM card that runs on T MO (using the phone to post this right now) I should have specified my goals before posting, sorry. I simply want to use the phone for calling and texting, with wifi as a bonus. I have toyed with the idea of switching to Trac fone or T MO, and I think Traac fone is my best bet... But which is better now?

Thank you all who helped me on this subject matter.
    just use the t-mobile $30 plan. It gives you 1500 minutes or texts, and 30mb of data as a bonus. It's enough data for e-mail for the month and the occasional map while on the road. No overages either...when you get to 30mb, the data just stops. I used this plan for months on my pre3, with rare complaint.
    TheWeaver likes this.
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Is it still a pre-paid plan? I haven't discovered it yet on the T-Mobile site....If so, how many service days are available for use before I have to pay again. I still look to stay on a pre-paid plan.

Thank you though.
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    It looks to me that Trac Fone might be my best bet with the Pixi! Hopefully coverage is as smooth as AT&T...
    Try activating your pixi on pagepluscellular.com.

Mine is on there and when talking to a cs, ask for removing the 3G/data functionality from your phone on _their_ side. From there, it'll be the basic talk and sms only.

It's pretty sweet. I bought a palm pixi plus off ebay refurbished and it's serving as a backup phone. They're rates are also very generous for those that don't "talk" much.

(this is only for the verizon/CDMA pixi). I don't know of any other prepaid services that can compete with PP.