Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By T-Pad
  • 1 Post By RumoredNow
  • 1 Post By PrePixiLove
  1.    #1  
    for the first time I am the proud owner of a webos device (pixi plus) and I have a few getting stared questions, actually just two: what are the best apps and which woukd you recommend and is the $1 preware app on the appstore the only way to get preware? Thanks so much!!!
    The app on the app catalog is a manual for preware, not the thing itself. (when I started, I was confused on that too)

I don't have my pre right now, so idk about recommended apps.

welcome aboard!
    Global Posts
    332 Global Posts
    At Application:Preware - WebOS Internals you'll find a detailed description how to install Preware on your device. Nevertheless you should buy the app just for thanking webos-internals for all their work (or make a donation via WebOS Internals:Site support - WebOS Internals).
    Preł (iPhone 4), TouchPad 32 GB (PlayBook 16 GB)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. P Mosh View Post
    for the first time I am the proud owner of a webos device (pixi plus) and I have a few getting stared questions, actually just two: what are the best apps and which woukd you recommend and is the $1 preware app on the appstore the only way to get preware? Thanks so much!!!
    I'm going to try and list the apps I use the most, other than the stock (email, browser, etc.)

My Main App Page
    Google Maps (by 72ka)
    Music Remix
    Keyring
    Simple Bible Pro
    RPN Scientific Calculator
    Timer Clasic
    Scratch Word
    Picsel SmartOffice
    Ancient Pond
    Tonal Pool

Info Resources Page
    Preware
    Fandango
    AP Mobile
    What's For Dinner Lite

Travel Apps Page
    TripThat
    Flight Predictor
    FlightTrack
    GPS Fix
    Open Table

Docs and Readers Page
    Bible
    pReader

Multimedia Page
    drPodder
    TuneIn by Radio Time
    Free Music Ringtones

System & Settings Page
    Save/Restore
    Dr. Battery
    Clock Sync

Games:
    Sparkle
    Astraware Mahjong
    Ancient Frog (cool visuals and sounds...soothing!)
    Defensive Warfare
    No Gravity
    The Settlers
    Bubble Birds 2.0
    Azkend Lite (ought to buy the full version!)
    Tradewinds 2 (Astraware)
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

there are a lot more apps for webOS than people realize....take your time going thru the app cat and I recommend preware for all its great custom touches
    32G Touchpad
    iphone 5 on sprint wouldn't leave a good relationship
    Also have a look at the WebOS Nation's App Gallery which is accessible from the front page.
    Definitely Preware and the Preware Homebrew Documentation...

I really get a lot out of the various Patches in Preware. No they aren't Apps, but they make owning/using the device so much easier.

LOL... I just inventoried my Pre 2 installs to help me replicate my user experience when setting up a Veer. I'll list the ones I feel are indespensible.

Welcome to the webOS family.

Applications:

AccuWeather
    AP Mobile
    App Tuckerbox
    box.net client for webOS
    DataJog
    Dr. Battery
    freeTether
    Gas Buddy to Go
    Google Maps
    Govnah
    Internalz Pro
    Netstat
    Picsel Smart Office
    pReader
    Preware
    Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Save/Restore
    WOSQI Homebrew Guide

Kernel:

UberKernel*

Patches:

Ad Blocker
    Advanced Reset Options
    Battery Percent and Horizontal Icon
    Brightness in Device Menu
    Buttah
    Capture with Volume Keys
    Date and Lower Case AM-PM Indicator
    Device Temperature Warnings
    Disable Lightbar
    Disk Cache Mod
    Fahrenheit Temperature with Battery in Device Info
    Flashlight in Device Menu
    GPS Icon on Top Bar
    GPS in Device Menu
    Just Type Scrim Fix
    Mojo Smooth Scrolling
    Mojo Speedy Switch
    Mojo Tap Responsiveness
    MP4 Video Downloader
    No Airplane Mode
    Remove Dropped Packet Logging
    Ringer Switch Icon
    System Control Optimization
    Unhide Dev Mode Icon
    Unhide Time Details
    Unthrottle Download Manager
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Mr. P Mosh likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. P Mosh View Post
    I own a Pixi Plus as well Unfortuantely , the Pixi doesn't get as much apps as the Pre , but there are still great apps ! Definitely get The Sims 3 , Ground Effect , TileStorm for games For music , I recommend Pandora , TuneIn Radio , & Amigo ( Amigo is in Preware ) . Those are just my apps I have on my Pixi Plus I have tons of patches & my Pixi Plus is overclocked to 806.4 MHz .With Preware , you can get tons of patches & overclock your Pixi with UBERKERNEL . Its in Preware . Once you have uberkernel , then get this app called " Govnah " from Preware & the different numbers are various clock speeds I recomment 806.4 MHz ( the Pixi is much more useable )Welcome to webOS . Here ' s a link telling you about Preware in the webOS Internals Wiki : http://en.m.webos-internals.org/wiki?search=Preware
    Mr. P Mosh likes this.
    Pardon me for the apparent ahem *blatant* stupidity of this question, but what the <bleep> is preware, or homebrew, and how the bleep am I supposed to touch any of this without the one and only function I *can* use on a smartphone, wifi?? Finally succumbed to the smartphone world and I can't even browse apps on it. I also saw a couple Cowboys and Hawkeyes themes I wanted for wallpaper and can't download them. Attaching this laptop via USB cable won't do it, will it? GRRRRRR!

Sorry for venting. Phone itself is awesome, and I've only been out of this cave for 2 days so eventually I'll learn this stuff, download some sports themes and the first Yahtzee knock-off I see!
    Last edited by libradawg; 07/01/2012 at 04:03 PM. Reason: typed acronym site didn't allow; apologies
    Start your journey here: Main Page - WebOS Internals

Internals (webOS Nation's official wiki and information arm) is a great resource.

Preware is like rooting for Android, but much easier. Once you have Preware installed you can access and use Homebrew Apps, patches, etc.

You should also get the webOS Quick Installer affectionately called WOSQI for short.

Yes, you can do all these things via WiFi and USB.

Welcome to the club, read a lot of threads, learn what is possible and enjoy unlocking the power of webOS.

Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    Start your journey here: Main Page - WebOS Internals

Internals (webOS Nation's official wiki and information arm) is a great resource.

Preware is like rooting for Android, but much easier. Once you have Preware installed you can access and use Homebrew Apps, patches, etc.

You should also get the webOS Quick Installer affectionately called WOSQI for short.

Yes, you can do all these things via WiFi and USB.

Welcome to the club, read a lot of threads, learn what is possible and enjoy unlocking the power of webOS.

I know I can't do it via WiFi; the Sprint help menu pointed me to the upper right tap where it should've been. One google search informed me I was wasting my time.

With USB I'm cleaning house, though. Already copied my contacts' photos from their facebook profile pics and added 30 second ringtones of the songs of their choices. After that I got the best Atlanta Braves wallpaper in the history of ever. If the apps are that easy I'm ready to RUMBLE! Only issue I'm seriously freakin' about is my Mute switch is *awfully* touchy. Nothing I haven't been able to correct, but it kinda does it when I don't notice.

Doesn't matter, excellent phone. The menus are absolutely flawless, interface a breeze, quick learner's curve for somebody who's been on Smartphone Mars for the past ten years. Thanks for the tutorials!!
    How do we set ringtones on an individual?

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    How do we set ringtones on an individual?

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Open Contacts page, click a Contact, right beneath the box where you enter phone numbers is the Set a Ringtone option.

Are you trying to add real songs as the ringtone? For Palm Pixi, without the benefit of WiFi, it's:

-USB Connect to computer
    -Tap USB on phone, Cancel the Windows Hardware Wizard
    -My Computer > click the drive where your phone's name appears
    -Drag mp3s from music folder on your PC into Ringtones folder on the phone
    -Click Hardware tab in Quick Launch area to safely eject phone, unplug USB
    -Edit Contact, tap Set Ringtone

It's right in there with all the default ringtones. Now I don't know how this forum feels about advertising 3rd Party software so I won't name the one I use specifically, but a lot of programs allow you to choose a 30-second interval of the song to use as the ringtone. Takes up a lot less space than having the entire mp3 and it's just better to choose which portion of the song you want to blare on as the ringtone.
    BTW, I failed to mention before that I'm using a Palm Pixi, not a Pre. After reading several threads it appears that matters, lol...
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
    I'm going to try and list the apps I use the most, other than the stock (email, browser, etc.)

My Main App Page
    Google Maps (by 72ka)
    Music Remix
    Keyring
    Simple Bible Pro
    RPN Scientific Calculator
    Timer Clasic
    Scratch Word
    Picsel SmartOffice
    Ancient Pond
    Tonal Pool

Info Resources Page
    Preware
    Fandango
    AP Mobile
    What's For Dinner Lite

Travel Apps Page
    TripThat
    Flight Predictor
    FlightTrack
    GPS Fix
    Open Table

Docs and Readers Page
    Bible
    pReader

Multimedia Page
    drPodder
    TuneIn by Radio Time
    Free Music Ringtones

System & Settings Page
    Save/Restore
    Dr. Battery
    Clock Sync

Games:
    Sparkle
    Astraware Mahjong
    Ancient Frog (cool visuals and sounds...soothing!)
    Defensive Warfare
    No Gravity
    The Settlers
    Bubble Birds 2.0
    Azkend Lite (ought to buy the full version!)
    Tradewinds 2 (Astraware)
    I looked up those games on your list, very fun, good graphics. I'm kissing android goodbye
    Quote Originally Posted by libradawg View Post
    BTW, I failed to mention before that I'm using a Palm Pixi, not a Pre. After reading several threads it appears that matters, lol...
    Ahhh...that explains it...I was about to argue with you about wifi...then I thought "did he/she say they had a Pre?" Unfortunately, the Pixi is the only webOS phone that does not have wifi. I think some brave soul (or crazy!) posted a thread about adding a wifi radio inside their Pixi...but that might just be the mushrooms talking!
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Quote Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
    Ahhh...that explains it...I was about to argue with you about wifi...then I thought "did he/she say they had a Pre?" Unfortunately, the Pixi is the only webOS phone that does not have wifi. I think some brave soul (or crazy!) posted a thread about adding a wifi radio inside their Pixi...but that might just be the mushrooms talking!
    The pixi is the lone step child of the webOS bunch...

It sister the Pixi Plus has WiFi, and one can swap the Pluses WiFi into the Pixi, but it also carries the Tokens/USB drive with it... But it is worth it. Also makes the Pixi seem faster (USB flash is of a new generation). But still only 8G.

It (Pixi or PixiPlus) is also the only Armv6 webOS device, which means that some games designed around Pre/PrePlus/Veer/Pre3/Touchpad will not work.

But a great device...
    Last edited by John Steffes; 07/25/2012 at 05:00 PM.