Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By turdsamich
  1.    #1  
    I know this is really old news but I just found out that the AT&T Pixi Plus doesn't come with the mobile hotspot app that the Verizon one does so how would one go about adding that app onto the At&t Pixi? Thanks!!!
    In Preware look for Freetether.

It allows tethering via Bluetooth, WiFi and USB.

However, getting it to work over USB takes a bit of doing. I never managed it. One of the parts of doing USB tether requires the USB Passthrough patch. From what I read, I'm not the only one who had trouble with that patch on their phone so be careful...

Freetether works great over WiFi though. I never did test it with Bluetooth as I have no reason.

Expect battery drain.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    In Preware look for Freetether.

It allows tethering via Bluetooth, WiFi and USB.

However, getting it to work over USB takes a bit of doing. I never managed it. One of the parts of doing USB tether requires the USB Passthrough patch. From what I read, I'm not the only one who had trouble with that patch on their phone so be careful...

Freetether works great over WiFi though. I never did test it with Bluetooth as I have no reason.

Expect battery drain.
    So it will work fine over wifi? Which is the only thing I wanted anyways...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. P Mosh View Post
    So it will work fine over wifi? Which is the only thing I wanted anyways...
    Yes. It's secured too. An added benefit is that it masks the tethered device to have the same IP as your phone...

I would suggest that you get the Netstat App from Preware as well. It will track your data use and help keep you from exceeding the red flag level of data use that might get you noticed by your carrier. What that data amount is depends on your terms and common sense. I have Straight Talk "unlimited data" and am guessing that 2gb in a month would probably make them look hard at what I was doing. Just a guess. I did use 1.02gb last month after having problems with net at home and that was fine.

Mobile Nations Devotee
    slightly off topic but I was tethering on sprint for a few months as I didnt have broadband internet at home and I ran up over 45 GB one month and didnt hear a thing from them as far as abusing the unlimited data.
    Despite their other faults, Sprint is the only US carrier that has true unlimited data. At least to the best of my knowledge.

Other carrier's users have stories about throttling, being cut off from data, overage charges and service cancellations.

I'm happy to hear you had no such worries. Others experiences will necessarily differ.

Mobile Nations Devotee
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    Yes. It's secured too. An added benefit is that it masks the tethered device to have the same IP as your phone...

I would suggest that you get the Netstat App from Preware as well. It will track your data use and help keep you from exceeding the red flag level of data use that might get you noticed by your carrier. What that data amount is depends on your terms and common sense. I have Straight Talk "unlimited data" and am guessing that 2gb in a month would probably make them look hard at what I was doing. Just a guess. I did use 1.02gb last month after having problems with net at home and that was fine.
    Awesome I'm putting my Pixi on Straight Talk too, and one more question: Sorry for being such a total noob but this is the second week I'm on these forums and I still don't quite get what Preware and patches are. I know patches are add ons and I'm guessing preware is like cydia on the iPhone? And how do you install preware? Thanks so much!!!
    Main Page - WebOS Internals

Bookmark this page. So much help is available there.

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Here's an experience I had at LAX, using my Pixi+ as a mobile hotspot for my Touchpad. I began just fine, but in a few seconds, everything slowed to a crawl. I checked the hotspot, four other people had glommed on to my Pixi. So I just sighed and shut it off.
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
    Quote Originally Posted by shneor View Post
    Here's an experience I had at LAX, using my Pixi+ as a mobile hotspot for my Touchpad. I began just fine, but in a few seconds, everything slowed to a crawl. I checked the hotspot, four other people had glommed on to my Pixi. So I just sighed and shut it off.
    It's not locked with a password?

LOLz free WiFi is free WiFi. No one really questions that an unsecured signal isn't public.

At my apartments we have free internet included. I moved in here a few months ago with the GF who had been living here two years. She showed me the Belkin signal that was the free net and I was happily using it. Always on. Fast.

Turns out it wasn't the "official" free internet at all. It got yanked and when we complained to the provider that the internet had been down they walked us through the real process which requires their BPL modem to be installed.

The GF had been on that unsecured WiFi signal for two years... We never found out who it was or where they went. That particular access point name has never reappeared after being gone a month or more.

Mobile Nations Devotee