Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1.    #1  
    I want to buy one so I need to know, how amazing is the Pixi?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. P Mosh View Post
    I want to buy one so I need to know, how amazing is the Pixi?
    very very very very good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry201 View Post
    The pixi is an extremely slow and outdated phone. If you get it free then that's good, but if you have to pay, beware and pay low.
    I agree and at the very least I'd go for a webOS 2.x phone.
    First let me say I've only been on webOS a little over two months.

I have no hands on experience with any webOS devices except my current phone. I have, however, been very active reading on this forum since I got here. I did a TON of research before coming over to webOS.

My honest opinion: a used GSM Unlocked Pre 2 is the best value. Price isn't bad if you hunt around. You get recent OS versions available. Good balance of screen size and pocketability. I rarely use my belt holster and just drop it in a pocket. CPU speed is decent, Ram and internal storage good. It isn't the most up to date webOS phone, but it is the last that received full support after release. More do... less bug. Most stable bang for the buck.

I've looked at Veers and Pre 3s... I may still get one in future. Not sure yet, I'm still reading the forums and finding out about user experience.

Meanwhile I'm happy with my Pre 2. It does everything I ask of it within reason. Some patches/Apps acted up after install... Just uninstall and everything goes back to normal. Homebrew has been great and easy to work with. I'm overclocked at 1.2 GHz and the phone runs fine.

I have my Pre 2 on Straight Talk with the bring your own phone plan. Buy a SIM for $15. Configuring the phone is easy. Then it is $45 a month for unlimited everything. Talk, text, picture mail, data, 411 calls. No problems there either, other than a bit of stickiness getting MMS (pic mail) to work. There is lots of help and info here on this forum though and I never really struggled to make MMS work, just a bit of head scratching and then... Ah ha, got it!

My gut feeling, based on nothing but intuition... When webOS goes Open Source it will release officially for Touchpad, Pre 3 and Veer. Those are the HP legacy devices. Pre 2 stands in the doorway between Palm and HP - it was sort of the last Palm phone shepherded through after the HP takeover.

But Pre 2 has version 2.2.4 and if the "official" Open Source doesn't release for Pre 2 the Homebrew folks here will make it happen "unofficially." IMHO 2.2.4 is the minimum needed to get into the future of Open Source webOS. The old phones that are stuck on 1.4.5 like the Pixi models just will not physically be able to ride on the new roadway.

It's very cool that you are getting into webOS. By all means get what you like/want/can afford. But keep an eye on the future as well.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    kataran likes this.
    The pixi is an extremely slow and outdated phone. If you get it free then that's good, but if you have to pay, beware and pay low.
    I've had no problem with my Pixi Plus it's pretty fast considering it only has a 600 MHz processor
    Pixi's are not bad phones but they are behind in power and speed , and I'm looking for a cheap Pixi + to go with my collection lol
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    with uberkernel and other patches the pixi really isnt all that slow but the super small screen is a big minus. If you want it mainly as a messaging phone it is fine but as a full on smartphone you will likely be disappointed. That said if you are looking to get it as a "starter" smartphone or a cheap backup (which it now is in my case) you will be fine.
    If you want it for a messaging phone, be aware that the text messages are very small. Perfect vision or reading glasses needed.
    Quote Originally Posted by rnld View Post
    If you want it for a messaging phone, be aware that the text messages are very small. Perfect vision or reading glasses needed.
    patches are available in 'preware' to increase the font in the text messaging app
    the pixi keyboard is nice and 'clicky' - better than the pre2

the pixi feels sturdier than the pre2 since it does not have a slide out qwerty keyboard
    Quote Originally Posted by protofa View Post
    patches are available in 'preware' to increase the font in the text messaging app
    On the Treo 755P, there were two font sizes you could choose. There was so much to love about the operation of the older Palm software that never made into the Pre or Pixi. That was a huge mistake in that Treo users had no reason to "upgrade" to WebOS as it was as different as iOS or Android to a Treo/Centro user.
    Last edited by rnld; 06/13/2012 at 08:52 PM. Reason: typo
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post

I have my Pre 2 on Straight Talk with the bring your own phone plan. Buy a SIM for $15. Configuring the phone is easy. Then it is $45 a month for unlimited everything. Talk, text, picture mail, data, 411 calls. No problems there either, other than a bit of stickiness getting MMS (pic mail) to work. There is lots of help and info here on this forum though and I never really struggled to make MMS work, just a bit of head scratching and then... Ah ha, got it!

[
    So is getting a pre 2 on straight talk really easy?
    "The best way to get something done is to begin" ~ Author Unknown
    Yep... everything worked right off except MMS and I had a fix in about 5 minutes. LOL turns out it wasn't the right setting even though it worked. I later found the most correct answer on this forum and put that into effect.

I have no issues with ST 2 months in. Last month my home net went out for a week and I tethered my laptop some. Netstat reports I used 1.02gb of data and I never felt throttled. ST hasn't mentioned the usage.

There are screencaps of my phone settings and a report of the carrierdb.json file I grafted on in the Pre 2 forum in one or more of my threads. I'd be happy to help if you had any questions.

Mobile Nations Devotee

Mobile Nations Devotee
    This only partly true, for me it is the best smartphone i ever had. I think, we first have to define, what we expect from a smartphone.

I am doing all my private and workrelated communications with my Pixi+. it is stuck small and smooth in my pocket, i only recognize it, when it buzzess for Phon call. I have all things needed for communications. Sometimes i miss whatsapp a little, because of all my Buddies using Android or iOS, but then i thought, why i do need everytime another channel to communicate. I told them and look, we are using mail and Gtalk or sth. to write. Where is the prob using Mail, when everybody has a dataplan.

It is slow with 600 MHz, that is true, but with the uberkernel and Govnah, it has become a real boost and for me, it is fast enough with 800 Mhz.

My only prob is, that sometimes new apps arent supported for Pixi+. I cant underdstand that so far, because there is Enyo for Pixi+ (Maps is working slow but good on my pixi, but no wonder, it is a dinosaur of an App) and there is veer out there, which also has that small screen.

Besides, the screen, it depends on what you want. i am doing all things with it, also reading books and Newspaper with my beloved Preader (maybe we have the native version soon too, because Jappus found the Bug, why the Prog crashes every Time it starts). I am walking with gps with maptool and openstreetmap oder wanderreitkarte in germany, swiss and Austria. I am sometimes watching youtube videos and hearing music and Hearbooks with hedamis remix musicplayer - the pixi has a good sound.

Wanted a small and slick design with working apps and that is what the pixi is. One of my killer apps is classic notes, much better than the good old Palm Memo app.
    Last but not least, i have a good list of small web apps, working in my browser for my work

My touchpad is connecting over the Pixi to the Internet with good speed, when there is no WLAN available.

A small problem for my is the outdated bluetooth support. My daughter always wants to send me songs from her android samsung fon, but i cannot receive them.
    But, to be honest, not really a criteria to throw the Pixi in the waste basket. There are cables or dropbox or sth. no big thing.

The best thing is the Keyboard in my opinion, thats why i never wanted a Pre, because of the slider. I tried it with the first Pre and as there were the Pixi+ (because of WLAN), i switched over. During the time with the Pre i also used my old centro for communicating, because of the Keyboard. Since i have my Pixi+, my son is playing MP3s with my Centro. Besides, a short time i tried it with a blackberry, no comparison, forget RIMs keyboards and screens.

So in the end i would say, it depends.........of what you want. Sliders are not my thing.

Cheers

Achim
    ^^^ That is a great post. Sensible and Realistic with good info.

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Choosing the Pixi, you'd have to go without webOS 2.x and miss features like Just Type, Stacks and Exhibition Mode. Pretty huge sacrifice IMO. But the keyboard is very nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    Thanks, I will look into it!
    "The best way to get something done is to begin" ~ Author Unknown
    Quote Originally Posted by rnld View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnygewitter View Post
    Choosing the Pixi, you'd have to go without webOS 2.x and miss features like Just Type, Stacks and Exhibition Mode. Pretty huge sacrifice IMO. But the keyboard is very nice.
    And then, where is the problem. Is this something that makes the phone unusable, i say no, far from that. And besides i had 2.1 on the phone and i cant find so much advantages, that gives me good reasons over 1.4.5. 1.4.5 is speedy enough on this phone.

As i said in my previous post, it depend non what you want to do with this fon. I am having just type and exhibition mode on my touchi, and for that, it is well perfomed and good to use.

good night from germany

achim
    Quote Originally Posted by achimi View Post
    And then, where is the problem. Is this something that makes the phone unusable, i say no, far from that. And besides i had 2.1 on the phone and i cant find so much advantages, that gives me good reasons over 1.4.5. 1.4.5 is speedy enough on this phone.
    Unusable? No of course not. OP wanted opinions; and I personally would miss Just Type a lot.
    If all you want to do is text and make calls, it's not bad at all. You're right of course it all depends, and I guess OP came here to hear the pros and cons. Not having 2.x is a pretty big con to me. If OP doesn't care, it's cool. I'm just saying.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast