Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    I've always wanted a webOS phone but I've never had the money but now that palm no longer exists (R.I.P) the phones are cheap so I guess now would be a better time than ever to get one but the problem is I already have a fairly new phone (Samsung Admire) on MetroPCS and I would be getting the Palm Pixi on T-Mobile meaning I would be using it on EDGE, which is about the same speed as I have now on Metro so my question is, is webOS worth it to ditch my semi-new phone?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. P Mosh View Post
    I've always wanted a webOS phone but I've never had the money but now that palm no longer exists (R.I.P) the phones are cheap so I guess now would be a better time than ever to get one but the problem is I already have a fairly new phone (Samsung Admire) on MetroPCS and I would be getting the Palm Pixi on T-Mobile meaning I would be using it on EDGE, which is about the same speed as I have now on Metro so my question is, is webOS worth it to ditch my semi-new phone?
    YES YES YES YES!!!!!
    I ditched my iPhone 4S for a Pixi Plus
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by boovish View Post
    YES YES YES YES!!!!!
    I ditched my iPhone 4S for a Pixi Plus
    How's life with the Pixi?
    How's life with the Pixi?
    pretty awesome except that it helps to turn off wifi while you sleep it prolongs battery life. Also get a touchstone cover and dock they are really cool.
    pretty awesome except that it helps to turn off wifi while you sleep it prolongs battery life. Also get a touchstone cover and dock they are really cool.
    Yeah.It`s battery is slow to charge and quick to drain
    bought a palm pixi plus in march, use on h2o wireless, very happy
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    I'll be the villain in this one and say that the Pixi Plus is too slow... my cousin owned the original Pre and IIRC The Pixi Plus and Pre have the same RAM and mHz (600? or 500? not sure). The Pre was awfully laggy and slow... but it still made me go buy the Pre2 because the OS is much much better than Android 2.3 (your Admire runs on this OS).

If you want to sacrifice battery life, screen size, and processor + RAM speed (which is a LOT to sacrifice) go for it. Otherwise, I think it's a better choice to pick the Veer or Pre 2 because both are really cheap as well AND they have webOS 2.0+ while the Pixi Plus runs on 1.4.5 IIRC
    Samsung Slyde/Rant -> BlackBerry Bold 9700 -> Palm Pre2

I love my Palm Pre2 )))
    I love mine because of preware, the touchstone, and the $29 a month phone plan. was a big deciding factor.. How great to have data I can turn on and off, and not rack up an exorbitant data bill. As with anything electronic, once I get settled in with something, I only end up using it for a few things. WebOS does everything I want and the speed's good on mine.
    If you've always wanted one, grab one. I've been watching prices and they've been going up the last month. For a long time they were $36, but lately they've been $50. I don't think the sellers have the glut of pixi plus's they used to have. And it's such a fantastic forum here, you can get help if you need it.
    It's a lot of fun.
    You plug your phone in?
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by woosh View Post
    I love mine because of preware, the touchstone, and the $29 a month phone plan. was a big deciding factor.. How great to have data I can turn on and off, and not rack up an exorbitant data bill. As with anything electronic, once I get settled in with something, I only end up using it for a few things. WebOS does everything I want and the speed's good on mine.
    If you've always wanted one, grab one. I've been watching prices and they've been going up the last month. For a long time they were $36, but lately they've been $50. I don't think the sellers have the glut of pixi plus's they used to have. And it's such a fantastic forum here, you can get help if you need it.
    It's a lot of fun.
    Whoah $29 a month, what plan do you have?
    After Uberkernel (I clock mine using ondemandtcl going from 600-806) and my vm swap settings (do a search), there is no lag, and the phone is quite enjoyable. My only gripe with it is it's ARM v6 so many apps are unavailable for it (being that it's WebOS and the odd screen size doesn't help either). Also, the battery cover usually lasts only a few months. I'm actually considering upgrading and going either with a Pre3 or a Nokia E6-00.
    I bought two pixi pluses from amazon for $36 each to have as a backup for my pre2 and then one for my son's first smart phone in anticipation of Verizon's shared data plans. Wow...what a dissapointment Verizon's pricing is for shared data.

I guess I'll just get him an android phone through Virgin Mobile. Verizon is really depressing, but at least I have the two pixi's after the pre2 dies so I can hang on to my unlimited data plan for what...2, 3...4 years or more?
    Quote Originally Posted by sbopple View Post
    I bought two pixi pluses from amazon for $36 each to have as a backup for my pre2 and then one for my son's first smart phone in anticipation of Verizon's shared data plans. Wow...what a dissapointment Verizon's pricing is for shared data.

I guess I'll just get him an android phone through Virgin Mobile. Verizon is really depressing, but at least I have the two pixi's after the pre2 dies so I can hang on to my unlimited data plan for what...2, 3...4 years or more?
    Once your 2 year contract is up no more unlimited data. BUT now you can get your son an iPhone 4S with a $30 a month plan with unlimited texting voice and maybe data.
    I have the exact same question.
    I have a HTC 7 Trophy now(and a TouchPad) and I have fallen in love with webOS and pixi plus. Is it worth to spend $70 on a second phone?
    I love the physical design of the pixi devices, however it was greater app support and faster internals that made me get a pre 2 instead. If you have to have the candybar form factor though, the pixi plus trounces any Android qwerty phones for the price.
    pixi form factor rocks! gets old quick using a slide qwerty keyboard (like the pre2) to post a quick replies for a txt messages
    Once your 2 year contract is up no more unlimited data. BUT now you can get your son an iPhone 4S with a $30 a month plan with unlimited texting voice and maybe data.
    Well, actually the way I'm interpreting Verizon's new plans...as long as I don't get a subsidized phone or make any changes to my existing plan, I should be able to keep unlimited data. I'll find out next summer when my current contract is up.

I don't want my 12 year old to have a iPhone 4S, it's overkill. That and I'm trying to wean him off off the Apple ecosystem and iTunes as it is right now. The Pixi or something like the Venture from VirginMobile is a good first smartphone.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    My understanding is that, in the US, so long as you pay your monthly bill a carrier can NOT change your service even though the contract has expired. About all they could do would be data throttling after a certain threshold is reached. They can't lower data caps, reduce minutes, limit texts or anything of that nature.

I have a friend who pays a ridiculously low price every month for his family plan as he's had it forever. They keep calling him with offers to try and get him back on contract and he won't budge. Plus he still gets phone upgrade credits depending on length of account history. That's really the only place they make money off him... New phones.

sbopple, I don't blame you. 12 year old + expensive electronics = accident waiting to happen.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    sbopple, I don't blame you. 12 year old + expensive electronics = accident waiting to happen.
    Hell yeah! This morning I dropped him off at swim practice and as he slung with duffle bag his samsung restore flew across the parking lot and I just cringed at the thought of him having even a $79 smartphone. My 8 year old is begging me for an iPhone because his best friend has one...sigh...

whelp, sorta getting off topic there, sorry.

I did look at the Venture from VirginMobile today at Target. Interesting little phone but it kinda looks like a goofy space toy compared to the clean lines and smooth finish of the Pixi. For the little phone it is, the Pixi is quite sexy.
    You could always look at a GSM pixi and either a prepaid or month to month plan. There are lots of folks using various combinations of GSM webOS and these types of providers.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    I would rather go with a veer or pre 2, I got my 2 for like a hundred bucks NIB.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast