1.    #1  
    Hello!
    I just ordered an unlocked Palm Pixi Plus from Amazon, to use as a replacement phone.
    I do not have a data plan (have unlimited calls and texting) but from what I've read I can activate/set up the phone using a SIM card with a data plan. I was planning on using my mom's SIM since she has unlimited data. Our plan is from ATT so i'm not terribly concerned about a compatibility issue.

My main question is about like the 3G settings and preventing data from being used so that I do not end up paying for it. I've read that once you set up the phone initially, that you can disable data on the phone? How do you do that? I've read in some places you disable the 3G, and am not sure because isn't that the network where you get calls and texts? Obviously I still need to be able to utilize my unlimited calling and texting plan.

And another question,
    I've read that once data is disabled you no longer get picture messages? Is there a way around that, because receiving and sending picture messages is allowed in my plan.

Thank you for your consideration, answers & help are greatly appreciated ~ I'd like to be sure before the phone gets here (and before I get a cell phone bill with crazy data charges!)

Thanks!
    You can disable data usage in the phone app. Open the phone app and bring up the app menu (top left). There's an item called 'network services' or something like that ("Netzwerk Dienste" in German, is what i see).
    You can disable 3G and still make calls and send/receive SMS. Basically the phone can use two separate networks, GSM (old) and UMTS (aka 3G, 3.5G, HSPA). If you don't need data you can safely disable 3G.
    I don't know about picture messages (you mean MMS, right?)

And someone correct me please if that's wrong, because I only have a Pre 3 at hand right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnygewitter View Post
    You can disable data usage in the phone app. Open the phone app and bring up the app menu (top left). There's an item called 'network services' or something like that ("Netzwerk Dienste" in German, is what i see).
    You can disable 3G and still make calls and send/receive SMS. Basically the phone can use two separate networks, GSM (old) and UMTS (aka 3G, 3.5G, HSPA). If you don't need data you can safely disable 3G.
    I don't know about picture messages (you mean MMS, right?)

And someone correct me please if that's wrong, because I only have a Pre 3 at hand right now.
    yeah you got it right, in the phone preferences menu there is a network section and there is a toggle for data usage on and off, just turn it off and you wont have any data usage. I cant say for certain whether or not you will be able to send and receive picture messages without data though, in theory it should work but the way the pixi handles picture messages may require data usage.
  4.    #4  
    Wonderful!
    Thank you for the information!
    Also, if anyone else reading happens to know anything about the picture messaging, just let me know.
    Thanks
  5.    #5  
    Just an update -
    After disabling data, you will NOT be able to send or receive picture messages.

Also, I use ATT.
    While I did disable my data, they sent me a network message saying a data plan is required and that they have added one to my plan.
    What a disappointment
    They can do that just like that? Don't you have to agree first if they change your plan? I know they couldn't do that in Germany - just adding something to your plan..
  7.    #7  
    I guess I don't have to agree here in America.
    But they'll be hearing from me haha.
    Quote Originally Posted by sjustine View Post
    Just an update -
    After disabling data, you will NOT be able to send or receive picture messages.

Also, I use ATT.
    While I did disable my data, they sent me a network message saying a data plan is required and that they have added one to my plan.
    What a disappointment
    yeah someone just mentioned the same thing in the other thread, and I think the same thing happened for Verizon. If you have a smartphone they are going to force you onto the data plan.