Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By xandros9
  1.    #1  
    I have a 2002 Palm Tungstent T with hundreds of programs games emulators, that I feel more useful than many apps on pixi, free and paid.

why webos apps are so bad ?
    why I can play super nintendo faster in my 180mhz palm than in my 600mhz pixi ?
    why they ditched grafitti ?

I miss the original palm PDAs... I was hoping more from the palm pixi, I don't dislike it ofc, because I can surf the web faster, watch youtube and many others sites, but for everything else is poor. I bet a palm tx could do more than the pixi. I was also hoping the classic emulator to be able run most of the apps i have on my palm tt.

I bought the palm pixi most for collection and test all capabilities, but really dissapointed me hp and the new palm did a very bad job. I know pixi is old but i wanted to see it by myself.
    The Pixi is not that old. To many who were palm users before the Pre and Pixi, this was not a leap forward.
    why webos apps are so bad ?
    webOS never had the market-share/dominance PalmOS had, thus developers shunned webOS and made money in iOS land.

why I can play super nintendo faster in my 180mhz palm than in my 600mhz pixi ?
    The Pixi is an ARMv6 device, so IIRC, its ~300 MHz, and keep in mind, Palm OS was much much lighter, compared to the advanced and relatively obese webOS. (Palm OS 5 had minimal animations, no multitasking etc)
    why they ditched grafitti ?
    It wasn't user-friendly to most people.
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 >
    Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > Blackberry Priv
    My Palm OS Archive
    fxspec06 likes this.
    webOS apps are not bad, for the most part they cause less compatibility issues than Palm OS apps and run very stable (remember runing out of heap memory?, crashes that erased the volatile memory?). Sadly there is poor app support for the pixi, might be related to the odd screen ratio.

Regarding the snes... well I had both a T3, and a TX, probably the fastest palmOS devices out there and LJP (snes emulator) dropped lots of frames. It was smooth enough, but many many frames were dropped. Compared with the emulator I have installed on the pre plus well... there is no much comparison. (except better key layout on the t3)

Grafitti was great, fantastic, so much that my handwriting has adapted to it (nobody understands my "k" and the "t" is a weird). I suffered with the transition to grafitti 2 and remembering whining about it numerous times in forums (1SRC?, c4?). I can come up with two main reasons for they to ditch grafitti:
    -The lack for finger based input (no stylus on capacitive digitizers)
    -I think they sold it along with PalmOS to acces.
    Still, I miss grafitti so much...
    Palm had an amazing calendar and address book that also resided on your PC/Mac. Syncing was great.

Sync to google or yahoo on WebOS? Stupid. Sync Google contacts and you end up with a Google mailbox too.
    from a developer standpoint, there is ONLY one answer: screen size
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

Quote Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post
    from a developer standpoint, there is ONLY one answer: screen size
    I do not agree, there are several, phones that have the same size, including the veer.

I have both (Pixi and Veer), and I think Palm wanted to introduce a smartphone to users who had a feature phone but did not want a full function smartphone.

I think the big problem was to keep the cost down, they cut corners, one memory (192 not enough after modem code), shared modem ram bad, last CPU, to keep the cost down they used an Arm6 core, which meant a re-write for developers... With the memory and CPU, this I think was the issue for the Pixi.
    Quote Originally Posted by zubiaur View Post
    Grafitti was great, fantastic, so much that my handwriting has adapted to it (nobody understands my "k" and the "t" is a weird). I suffered with the transition to grafitti 2 and remembering whining about it numerous times in forums (1SRC?, c4?). I can come up with two main reasons for they to ditch grafitti:
    -The lack for finger based input (no stylus on capacitive digitizers)
    -I think they sold it along with PalmOS to acces.
    Still, I miss grafitti so much...
    I remember hanging out around 1src and stuff xD

You know, since PalmOS remained pretty much the same, the Graffiti 1 library from the Tungsten T could be ported to newer devices. I dont mind G2, but I prefer the older version that didnt lag. (Took the one from my T3 and put it on my Lifedrive)

Actually, there are stylus's avaliable for capacitive displays. ~$15 these days
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 >
    Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > Blackberry Priv
    My Palm OS Archive
    Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
    I do not agree, there are several, phones that have the same size, including the veer.
    the veer has the SAME APPS as the pixi.

therefore, saying that pixi apps are not good and then saying that veer apps are good is contradictory

if you are trying to say both veer and pixi apps are bad, then your rebuttal for screen size not being an issue is bogus because you didn't give any other examples of phones that have the same screen size as the pixi. tbh, i can't think of any off the top of my head that have the same 400 x 320 ratio at that size.. please enlighten me with this list

honestly i see no point in developing for a device using mobile web technologies at that pixel ratio, especially when apps that aren't full screen are losing even more screen real estate due to the top bar (let's not forget the corners and how webos puts a black bar around the edges of the screen)

for that pixel ratio on a bigger screen size may be less of an issue, it's certaintly the biggest issue especially when using web technologies to develop for
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

How many Veers were sold?
    Quote Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post
    the veer has the SAME APPS as the pixi.

therefore, saying that pixi apps are not good and then saying that veer apps are good is contradictory

if you are trying to say both veer and pixi apps are bad, then your rebuttal for screen size not being an issue is bogus because you didn't give any other examples of phones that have the same screen size as the pixi. tbh, i can't think of any off the top of my head that have the same 400 x 320 ratio at that size.. please enlighten me with this list

honestly i see no point in developing for a device using mobile web technologies at that pixel ratio, especially when apps that aren't full screen are losing even more screen real estate due to the top bar (let's not forget the corners and how webos puts a black bar around the edges of the screen)

for that pixel ratio on a bigger screen size may be less of an issue, it's certaintly the biggest issue especially when using web technologies to develop for
    Now I can not post about all apps, but there are several versions of angry birds, com.rovio.angrybirds, com.rovio.angrybirds-lite are preplus/pre2 versions, the full paid version does not work on the veer or the pixi as it is designed around the bigger display, however, the lite version does, the pixi/veer version, com.rovio.angrybirds-pixi and com.rovio.angrybirds-pixi-lite work fine on both, however, the com.angrybirdsseasons is designed around pre2/pre3/touchpad and veer. This game will not work on the pixi. Rio is another, to validate use the url https://developer.palm.com/appredire....angrybirdsrio.

Change the packageid to the full package name to see which app is designed around which device.

My statement, was the CPU (armv6) and memory, was for a developer a mistake. The screen size, could have been a factor as well, but re-writing apps, for a device that is an entry level, is not cost effective.

However, the veer as an armv7 devices runs a lot of the same games as my preplus/pre2/pre3 without any issues, most I tested did not work on the pixi, however the pixi would have been a re-write for a lot of games, and developers did not produce them.

Samsung, LG, and Nokia had screen sizes comparable from a quick google search...

But I think the bigger issue then screen size is still the memory and CPU core, developers do not like to re-write apps unless it Is profitable.
    Last edited by John Steffes; 05/22/2012 at 07:41 PM.