webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Palm Pixi and Pixi Plus > webOS 2.1.0 Doctor for PixiPlus on Verizon, AT&T, and WR (ROW)/Pixi on Sprint!
webOS 2.1.0 Doctor for PixiPlus on Verizon, AT&T, and WR (ROW)/Pixi on Sprint!
Like Tree8Likes

Old 03/23/2012, 09:45 AM   #1 (permalink)

A story on how to build an unofficial webOS 2.1.0 Doctor for PixiPlus on Verizon, AT&T, and WR (ROW)/Pixi on Sprint!!

I have a Verizon PixiPlus that I use for a MP3 player, great device, it is not connected to Verizon at this time.

There is a method to install webOS 2.1.0 on the device, but it is WR (ROW) and configuring it is not easy…

Based on the following links: webOS 2.1 on Pixi effort, Official Thread and This is it. webOS 2.1 on *your* Pixi Plus GSM | The NuttyBunny

Follow this URL to install the meta-doctor application:
Application:MetaDoctor - WebOS Internals

Pushed Scripts to github, these scripts are now part of the Meta-Doctor Application; you no longer need to copy these scripts!

Well I designed two scripts, one that when used with the backup source of webOS 2.1.0 will turn it into a Verizon webOS 2.1.0 doctor, which one can use to build the device to webOS 2.1.0, I have been using it for a while, but it was not polished…

By polished, I mean the dialog boxes do not fit the screen the correct way, things do not handle themselves as good as they could.

Now will this process speed up the PixiPlus, NO, it is a 600MHz CPU, and for that it, it is slow, but once polished, it does seem to be more graceful in its presentation.

Will this be faster then the stock webOS 2.1.0 on the PixiPlus, Yes, I seem to notice it being less laggy and at least now it looks much better, but come on this is a PixiPlus.

webOS Patches (the device will report webOS 2.1.0, but the only patch I had to get from webOS 2.1.2 was the UberCalendar), the backup application works and will restore if device wiped. With this doctor the device will report webOS 2.1.0 to Palm, webOS Quick Install incorrectly reports it, but preware knows it is an Arm6 device and works well.

The second script will take the Veer webOS 2.1.2 framework, javascripts, and updated apps, webOS 2.2.4 enyo, updated App Catalog (yes you will have full access to webOS app catalog, but even though you will be at webOS 2.1.0 the app catalog is smart enough to know that the device is a PIXI/PIXIPLUS and will present only apps allowed for that platform), Bing Maps, and QuickOffice and Veer maps to GoogleMaps, and include the MotionApps Classic Bits, this will bring one to a better polished webOS 2.1.0 design.

What HP/Palm should have done for all devices!

The details and steps I took to make this happen.

First, I use a MAC for webOS script development; the MAC like Windows came standard with a case-insensitive disk subsystem. So using Disk Utility I had to create a 10G disk (DMG) that is formatted case sensitive.

Once I did that it automounted, I used terminal to git the meta doctor, and I copied the doctors that are needed for the first script (the script will pull them down if not there), but it will want the webOS 2.1.0 files (I will not post the files or where to get them google is ones friend here).

Running the first script:
Now once the script runs the first time it unpacks the Verizon PixiPlus 1.4.5.1 doctor, then stops informing that the directory “Not prepared for webOS 2.1.0 build extract” and “Please create 210 directory under …” and it gives you the directory where the directory “210” should be created…

Use terminal to mkdir –p doctor/210

Re-run the script now it complains “Not prepared for webOS 2.1.0 build extract” and “webOS 2.1.0 rootfs file not present”.

Now copy the PIXI webOS 2.1.0 rootfs file (a long hex file name tar that is gziped), the updated boot tar (rhymes with pixi and starts with the letter 'f') to the 210 directory, and your custom boot logo, if you wish to stay with the HP one, the build will now pull the standard HP BootLogo under scripts/bootlogo.tga.

Note: The script now handles this if a custom BootLogo is not found it will extract the HP BootLogo. The HP logo is in the following GZIPED TAR file, build/veer-p160una-att-2.1.2/rootfs/boot/boot-images.tar.gz. just copy that GZIPED TAR and use gzip -d boot-images.tar.gz to unpack it, then use tar -xf boot-images.tar and copy the BootLogo.tga.

Re-run the script, now it will ungzip both webOS 2.1.0 files just copied and it will then copy the main rootfs file and then transform it…

When that script is done, a Verizon webOS 2.1.0 doctor is created and moved to the “downloads” directory and unpacked.

If you used the first script’s JAR file and run it, it will be a webOS 2.1.0 stock (but again not polished, this is according to the MD5SUMS the closest I can come to a stock webOS 2.1.0 doctor)

Now we are ready to run the second script the polishing…

The second script grabs the doctor (from downloads, if not unpacked, unpacks it) and removes the stock PixiPlus older webOS files, and then injects the updated webOS 2.1.2/2.2.4 files in their place.

Now it starts the JAR to Doctor the Device.

The first thing you will notice, is that the doctor will behave like a webOS 1.4.5.1 doctor because that is where I start, but it will layout the disk (corrected for the PixiPlus, swap is brought back to 196M where it should be) to webOS 2.1.0 standard, I have not tested going from webOS 1.4.5.1 doctor to webOS 2.1.0 doctor or backwards. But it should work fine YMMV…

Next thing I am going to work on is port the webOS 2.2.4 Veer framework components to the Pixi (at least try due to a change in the webkit version)…

Scripts are attached, as I am not going to distribute the webOS 2.1.0 source (backup files), the doctor created from both of these scripts, but I am starting a new thread in order to assist others in building a doctor.

FYI there is still issues with the depends on the VZNavigator so it does not install but can be installed via ipkg install -nodeps, and the amazon service also does not get installed (not sure if it is needed) but I install it after anyway via the command line.

As my device is not on Verizon Wireless network, I can not say if it (VZNavigator) works or not.

Make sure you have backed up all USB and APP data you wish to keep, not sure how it handles going from webOS 1.4.x to webOS 2.1.0 (assume it will wipe all, but it might preserve it), as I went from webOS 1.4.5.1 to webOS 2.1.0 but with a blank (no data, no apps, no palm profile) PIXIPLUS.

Look on below of this post for all scripts for Verizon, WR (ROW), AT&T, and Sprint...

Version Log (at version 7)
V7 - Updated Scripts from meta doctor Application HP/Palm changed the Source URL.
V7 - Released build-verizon-pixiplus-2.1.0-V3, build-wr-pixiplus-2.1.0-V4, build-att-pixiplus-2.1.0-V3, build-sprint-pixi-2.1.0-V3, super-verizon-pixiplus-2.1.0-V6, super-wr-pixiplus-2.1.0-V4, super-att-pixiplus-2.1.0-V4, and super-sprint-pixi-2.1.0-V4
V6 - Released build-verizon-pixiplus-2.1.0-V2, build-wr-pixiplus-2.1.0-V3, build-att-pixiplus-2.1.0-V2, build-sprint-pixi-2.1.0-V2
V6 - Now build will extract HP BootLogo from Veer webOS 2.1.2 build if a custom BootLogo does not exist.
V5 - Released build-verizon-pixiplus-2.1.0-V1 and super-verizon-pixiplus-2.1.0-V5
V5 - build-wr-pixiplus-2.1.0-V2 and super-wr-pixiplus-2.1.0-V3
V5 - build-att-pixiplus-2.1.0-V1 and super-att-pixiplus-2.1.0-V3
V5 - build-sprint-pixi-2.1.0-V1 and super-sprint-pixi-2.1.0-V3
V5 - Now pushed to the meta-doctor application set of scripts.
*****Updated logic to all Super Script to make sure Veer build is present and fixed motion apps bits service.
V4 - Released build-verizon-pixiplus-2.1.0-V1 and super-verizon-pixiplus-2.1.0-V4
V4 - build-wr-pixiplus-2.1.0-V2 and super-wr-pixiplus-2.1.0-V2
V4 - build-att-pixiplus-2.1.0-V1 and super-att-pixiplus-2.1.0-V2
V4 - build-sprint-pixi-2.1.0-V1 and super-sprint-pixi-2.1.0-V2
*****Moved all scripts to first post and added logic to all Super Script to make sure Build Doctor is build first.
V3 - Released build-verizon-pixiplus-2.1.0-V1 and super-verizon-pixiplus-2.1.0-V3
V3 - build-wr-pixiplus-2.1.0-V2 and super-wr-pixiplus-2.1.0-V1
V3 - build-att-pixiplus-2.1.0-V1 and super-att-pixiplus-2.1.0-V1
V3 - build-sprint-pixi-2.1.0-V1 and super-sprint-pixi-2.1.0-V1
*****Fixed ROM Verifying issues in WR and AT&T script and added build and super scripts for AT&T and Sprint
*****Removed some ARGS from the script
V2 - Released build-verizon-pixiplus-2.1.0-V1 and super-verizon-pixiplus-2.1.0-V2
V2 - Released build-wr-pixiplus-2.1.0-V1 and super-wr-pixiplus-2.1.0-V1
*****Added WR super script to the release
*****Updated Super Script so that Amazon MP3 is the default music store
V1 - Released build-verizon-pixiplus-2.1.0-V1 and super-verizon-pixiplus-2.1.0-V1
V1 - Released build-wr-pixiplus-2.1.0-V1
*****Released WR Build Script Only
*****First Release Verizon Build Scripts Only

Last edited by John Steffes; 07/14/2012 at 09:52 PM.
John Steffes is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by sq5, eugene300, dmerlin and 2 others like this.
Old 03/23/2012, 11:55 AM   #2 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Awesome, good work sir. Would there be any chance of a WR-compatible version for those who've not had good luck with the manual method?
ShiftyAxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/23/2012, 12:18 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiftyAxel View Post
Awesome, good work sir. Would there be any chance of a WR-compatible version for those who've not had good luck with the manual method?
Well I have no way of testing it as I do not have a WR device, but I will attach a script to this thread once completed, with your help I will move it to the main thread.

Questions:
what is the model #? P121UEU, P121UNA
what carrier id? wr

I need to add the following but not sure what model # to use or carrier id??
CUSTOM_MODEL_CHECK=P121UNA,P121UEU
CUSTOM_CARRIER_CHECK=wr
Old 03/23/2012, 02:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Good news, I've managed to check the info with my housemate's Pixi. Carrier is ROW and the model number is P121UEU
Old 03/23/2012, 10:50 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Good news, I've managed to check the info with my housemate's Pixi. Carrier is ROW and the model number is P121UEU
Here was the first and second scripts for WR devices, it did not work, so I pulled them

INFO: ROM Verifyer: ./etc/audio/a/global.conf: FAILED Fixed WR & AT&T
INFO: ROM Verifyer: ./usr/lib/modem/pixieumts.tar.gz: FAILED Fixed WR & AT&T
INFO: ROM Verifyer: ./usr/lib/modem/priprlset.sh: FAILED Fixed WR & AT&T
INFO: ROM Verifyer: ./usr/lib/modem/palm_nv_items.txt: FAILED Fixed WR & AT&T
INFO: ROM Verifyer: ./usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.stk/framework_config.json: FAILED Fixed WR & AT&T
INFO: ROM Verifyer: ./usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.wlmcustomlogin/framework_config.json: FAILED Fixed WR & AT&T

Tested Fix, build script builds doctor and super script builds doctor with no issues…

Last edited by John Steffes; 03/25/2012 at 01:27 AM.
Old 03/23/2012, 11:12 PM   #6 (permalink)

What is a WR device? Ive searched and I cant find an answer?
dmerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/23/2012, 11:13 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmerlin View Post
What is a WR device? Ive searched and I cant find an answer?
WR is WoRld also known as ROW (Rest Of World) beyond USA

FYI

Go to URL: http://www.webos-internals.org/index...octor_Versions

Notice WR in the doctor names.
Old 03/23/2012, 11:17 PM   #8 (permalink)

Do I need a Mac to do this? How would I do this with windows 7? How can I run this script? Do I run it in Doctor? Please can someone get me started?
Old 03/23/2012, 11:20 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Do I need a Mac to do this? How would I do this with windows 7? How can I run this script? Do I run it in Doctor? Please can someone get me started?
You need a case sensitive file system, linux (any flavor will do there are even ones that can run inside windows)..

You also need the meta doctor application first...

Install it from here: Application:MetaDoctor - WebOS Internals

But I use a MAC and explained how/what I did to get it to work on a MAC, these scripts have only been tested on my MAC, hence the reason why I started this thread to work out the bugs...
Old 03/23/2012, 11:35 PM   #10 (permalink)

I installed Ubuntu 11.04 so I can dual boot. I also have a mac power book that likes to freez so Iam afraid to try this with my mac. I can try this with Ubuntu. Is there anything I need to do as far as getting the files into the right dir Structure? How would I run this with Ubuntu? Ill do what I can to help work out the bugs using Ubuntu if I can get it going. Thanks

PS Iam a total noob with webos and Ubuntu but Iam willing to learn.

Last edited by dmerlin; 03/23/2012 at 11:42 PM.
Thanked By: John Steffes
Old 03/23/2012, 11:39 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
I installed Ubuntu 11.04 so I can dual boot. I also have a mac power book that likes to freez so Iam afraid to try this with my mac. I can try this with Ubuntu. Is there anything I need to do as far as getting the files into the right dir Structure? How would I run this with Ubuntu? Thanks
The script will force you to have the files where it wants them, I have attempted to make these scripts as easy as possible, but with your help, I can make them even more so...

Let me know how it goes, what pitfalls if any you have any what you did to get around them, if the script needs to be changed, then let me know how/why?
Old 03/24/2012, 12:36 AM   #12 (permalink)

When I first used, webOS 2.1.0 on the PixiPlus it was well not polished, one of the things I like to do is keep tabs on my posts... Well the stock framework files were older and a lot of applications that needed updated submissions of those frameworks, well they either looked wrong, or they did not work.

webOS Nation Apps by science apps was one of them, well it is not available via the App Catalog, but as I have preware and app tucker box, I can get any app I want (free ones that is), so I tried it on this new build... and before it would just show up as a white screen load and die...

Now I can browse the full website, from the PixiPlus, thanks to the scripts and the Veer being the same screen size...

I am looking forward to seeing what webOS 2.2.4 from the Veer brings and once these scripts are done I will focus on that.
Old 03/24/2012, 02:42 AM   #13 (permalink)

What is the command to run your script? Iam trying to run it in Terminal but dont know how?
Old 03/24/2012, 08:34 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
What is the command to run your script? Iam trying to run it in Terminal but dont know how?
First you need a case sensitive file system (linux, mac etc...)

Then install the app: Application:MetaDoctor - WebOS Internals

Then copy the scripts to the meta-doctor/scripts directory.

For Verizon:
Then run ./scripts/build-verizon-pixiplus-2.1.0
Then run ./scripts/super-verizon-pixiplus-2.1.0

For WR (ROW):
Then run ./scripts/build-wr-pixiplus-2.1.0
Then run ./scripts/super-wr-pixiplus-2.1.0

For AT&T:
Then run ./scripts/build-att-pixiplus-2.1.0
Then run ./scripts/super-att-pixiplus-2.1.0

For Sprint:
Then run ./scripts/build-sprint-pixi-2.1.0
Then run ./scripts/super-sprint-pixi-2.1.0

Last edited by John Steffes; 04/12/2012 at 11:09 AM.
Old 03/24/2012, 04:18 PM   #15 (permalink)

Ive ran the first script twice and it is telling me to create 210 directory under pixiplus-p121eww-verizon-1.4.5.1
sooooo what do I do now? Ive tried mkdir-p doctor/210 I get command not found

Last edited by dmerlin; 03/24/2012 at 04:31 PM.
Old 03/24/2012, 04:22 PM   #16 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Ive ran the first script twice and it is telling me to create 210 directory under pixiplus-p121eww-verizon-1.4.5.1
sooooo what do I do now?
Following the instructions in the OP generally helps. You'll be needing the files outlined in the original 2.1 for Pixi thread.
Old 03/24/2012, 04:45 PM   #17 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Also apologies for the double post, but I figured I should report back on progress. I successfully built and super-ified the 2.1 doctor, I ran it and it got to 80something percent before erroring out with 'Unable to reset your phone'. It just booted up though, so I'm going to mark this down as a success
Old 03/24/2012, 05:05 PM   #18 (permalink)

Ok I made the 210 dir and as you said now it complains “Not prepared for webOS 2.1.0 build extract” and “webOS 2.1.0 rootfs file not present”. Now copy the PIXI webOS 2.1.0 rootfs file, and the updated boot tar to the 210 directory, and your boot logo your wish to user under scripts/bootlogo.tga (I used the HP logo). Ive looked every where but I cant find the webOS 2.1.0 rootfs or the updated boot tar files?
Thanked By: John Steffes
Old 03/24/2012, 05:08 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Following the instructions in the OP generally helps. You'll be needing the files outlined in the original 2.1 for Pixi thread.
LOL Ive tried to follow the OP instructions but I dont know what Iam doing. I have the files the script downloaded them for me. Iam just a noob.
Old 03/24/2012, 05:52 PM   #20 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Fair enough, now I think about it I think the files got pulled from mediafire. I think I know of somewhere you can get them though- email me for details.
ShiftyAxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by achimi, John Steffes

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0