1.    #1  
    Hi all,

I had to order a new phone for my girlfriend because hers is breaking, so I made a rather quick dicision after reading a few reviews and the price was right for the Palm
    pixi plus, I purchased it off eBay unlocked for $65 shipped forgetting the fact that it's a smartphone and smartphones require a data plan to use, but I thought this phone didn't need one because it has wifi.

Anyways, I've been reading how it is possible to flash it with new hardware so it doesn't require data, but I also read that I can first activate the profile account with my sim card that already has the $15 a month data (iPhone 4) then after I activate it, I can switch back to my girlfriends sim that doesn't have data and then I won't be charged for data? Does this really work or will AT&T find out it's a smart phone and add data to her plan? How about even if she keeps the data turned off on the Pixi?

Thanks for any help!

-Daniel
    Hi Daniel,

Your plan should work fine. I had a similar situation, but had to go the Activation By-pass method (while a little convoluted, its works). Once you have the Palm Profile created, the phone will function 100% with any compatible SIM. There is an option within the Phone app preferences to turn off data (which I'd recommend so the phone will never attempt to look for a data connection and you'll never get charged for using it). Then you can just use Wi-fi.
    As I understand it, the Carrier only insists on a data plan when they sell you the phone as it helps them recoup (i.e., make a profit) the cost of subsidizing hardware. Otherwise, so long as the phone is compatible with their network, they don't care.

Hopefully, others will reply to confirm.

Good luck,
    Steve
    They WILL stick you with a dataplan. I got away with it for about 3 months.

Unless you find a way to spoof the IMEI or swap it for a dumbphone IMEI, they will know what the hardware is and they will charge you data when they decide the time is right.
  4.    #4  
    Yea that's what I'm worried about, them finding out the model of the phone.

I gave my friend a Windows phone and he put his sim card in and within a few days they added the data plan to his account.

What is IMEI?

I was just thought maybe the activation process is how they find out it you need data, but if I used my sim that has data already they know it has been activated with data, then it would go disguised as a phone with data already as I swapped to a non data sim.
    Nope, doesn't work that way. Use google to find out what an IMEI is. Roughly, its a unique ID every phone has.
  6.    #6  
    Darn.

Has any one succesfully installed a patch/mod/ software that changed the software so you don't need data? I found a few sites but It's not alot of info on this
    Its not that simple. There are IMEI spoofing methods for many other handsets, but the legality is questionable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saijin_Naib View Post
    They WILL stick you with a dataplan. I got away with it for about 3 months.

Unless you find a way to spoof the IMEI or swap it for a dumbphone IMEI, they will know what the hardware is and they will charge you data when they decide the time is right.

Um, actually, I have had a iPhone, and I had a regular 25$ a month plan without them knowing i have a smart phone.
    Yes, it will work if you use your sim card that has data, and put hers back in non date.
    If you want you can turn off data, and use wifi. But they won't figure it out.
    If you have a prepaid Sim Card it will say "Go phone on it. You will need to do the following steps to get a regular sim card.
    1. get a regular (non smart phone) , and go up to at&t store ask for new sim card. they will give you one for free.
    2. Put your sim card in her phone with data, set up the activation stuff.
    3. switch wifi to "On"
    4. Turn off date "If wanted"
    5. put her sim card back in it.
    It should be fine.!