Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    What are my "must have" apps? And should I do anything special or just run it out of the box?
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    If you're new to webOS, then this is a must: http://www.webosnation.com/how-insta...bos-smartphone.
    To make sure you get everything out of Preware, you should also install App Tuckerbox: App Tuckerbox - Your Apps On Your Devices.
    Lastly, the first accessory to get (if you don't have it already) is the touchstone and the pixi cover: Amazon.com: pixi touchstone.
    -carldc

m500>T3>T|X>Treo 755p>Pre>Pixi>Pre 3>Galaxy S4 Mini>Galaxy Alpha>Galaxy S8
    ..........................................TouchPad............Surface Pro
    PalmOS-------------------webOS-------------------Android (just waiting for webOS to rise again!)
    The Pixi Plus comes with a Touchstone back cover, so you're set there.

Apps-wise it depends on what you want to do with the phone. There are no "must have" apps that everybody must have, because there's simply no one thing that every single user is going to do with their phone.

So... what do you want to do with your Pixi?
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Kessler View Post
    The Pixi Plus comes with a Touchstone back cover, so you're set there.

Apps-wise it depends on what you want to do with the phone. There are no "must have" apps that everybody must have, because there's simply no one thing that every single user is going to do with their phone.

So... what do you want to do with your Pixi?
    Not sure which carrier you are on but my Verizon pixi plus did not come with a touchstone back, I had to get that separately. Now my Verizon preplus and pre2 came standard with a touchstone back.

Big thing for me was to Dr. the phone to the latest firmware, mine came with 1.4.0 and 1.4.5.1 is the latest, I have a meta-doctor test-verizon-pixiplus-1.4.5.1 which fixes maps to googlemaps and adds Enyo.
    Last edited by John Steffes; 02/19/2012 at 10:50 PM.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    I ordered the unlocked one from Amazon.com. I also went ahead and ordered a touchstone cover and dock. I'll probably put a Straight Talk SIM card in, now that they have the BYOD program.

As for what I plan to do with it: I really just want a device to check my email/Facebook, ect... on the go. I may also use it for navigation from time to time.

Also, I think the description of the Touchstone cover mentions "Verizon Pixi Plus" I assume that won't matter for my GSM version, right?
    Last edited by brody8898; 02/20/2012 at 09:27 AM.
    Congrats on your purchase. I love that phone and have to get around to buying a spare while they're still cheap. I can't see any touchstone cover messing with a GMS version.
    I'm on PP 29 a month plan, very limited data. how much you think you'll be spending a month on Straight talk?
    You plug your phone in?
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Straight Talk is $45/month w/unlimited calls, texts and data. My dad has a Straight Talk that he's happy with. If you get a GSM ST phone it'll run on AT&T/T-Mobile towers and get very good coverage. They also have some CDMA phones that run on Verizon towers but I have never used those.
    Brody:

Welcome to the Pixi. I've used one as my sole mobile device for about a year now; I too grabbed one off Amazon (then I got my wife one, my dad, and so on). It's a great little device for users not doing heavy multimedia; it will let you know when you've pushed it too hard.

I consider few apps to be mission critical, but one I feel advances webOS is Weatherman 2.0 by WizardApps. Andrew (developer near Seattle) wrote it when he was 14 or something; he's a ripe old senior in high school now. Weatherman grabs weather data and pastes it as an image over your wallpaper (I prefer the app's gray for contrast with white text). Caveat: I believe the GPS updating location feature no longer functions properly now that HP transitioned from Google Maps to Bing's version; being a heavy Google user, this change was somewhat disappointing but I get by. I just hardcoded my location and bypass Weatherman's GPS feature. I used to have an outdoor thermometer but ditched it recently because I always have my phone with an update every 30 minutes, plus a 3-day forecast. As a CPA financial planner, I also rely on TVMCalc as a secondary financial calculator.

Beyond that, I use the web's tools (Facebook mobile, Google Docs, Google Voice) and have created a number of icons for quick access. I like webOS but suspect I'll be getting an Android device next time for better integration to the web services I frequent. In the meantime, I flaunt my Pixi as a cost-effective, reasonably-capable mobile device.

btw: I run the Verizon-branded hardware on Page Plus's 1200 plan, 100Mb is fine for email and occasional websurfing. Google Voice keeps the minutes in check.

Enjoy!
    I just got a Pixi Plus from Newegg, it wants to call Verizon. I'm planning on using Pageplus when my current prepaid plan runs out at the end of the month, but was hoping to connect it to my wireless network in the meantime. Anywho, I downloaded WebOSQuickinstall-4.4.0, I can run the program, but it doesn't detect the phone. The phone is visible under Windows Device Manager, whatssup?

Also, how do the "webos20090606" thing? The keypad doesn't do anything. My apologies if I'm totally overlooking something.
    Last edited by nairb101; 03/21/2012 at 01:17 PM. Reason: clarification
    keypad damned sure better do something. Start typing the code from the "desktop" screen.
    If your keypad doesn't work anywhere, time to get a different Pixi.

WebOS quick install will not detect the phone unless developer services are turned on, which is what the webOS code enables.