Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By chiquitabiddle
  1.    #1  
    Is it unwise to buy a Pixi to use on Sprint?

I have a HTC Hero that is dying, and I am at the end of my contract but do not want to upgrade until the new iphone comes out later this year. When we got our phones 2 years ago, I always regretted not getting the Pixi.

I am not interested/not savy enough in trying to customize the phone. I would mainly use it for calls, texting, Facebook, and checking email.

With all of this in mind, would the Pixi be an okay and functional phone to last another 7 to 8 months?
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    the answer is up to you. I really don't think asking such a question in a forum called webOS nation is going to steer you away from getting one. They are good phones. Pre's have a better screen size. Any webOS phone is a good choice. You'll not ever wanna deal with any other os though after you get one. The other os's really slack in comparison nomatter how good a hardware spec is. Its all in the os. webOS will get you hooked.
    I would say it depends on what you can get it for. I got a locked Veer with Touchstone +S/H for $110USD off of eBay. I won it at $83 S/H included US only, but paid the extra $27 to ship to Canada.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Balooz View Post
    I really don't think asking such a question in a forum called webOS nation is going to steer you away from getting one.
    Granted, I think this forum would champion webOS, but I'm just wondering if this particular device could get me through on Sprint for the near future.
    Well, it was free with the upgrade, and my girl loves it, i think the keyboard is better than any of the pre line
    ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!!!
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    I think it would hold you quite well for the months you need it to. If you can deal with the occasional quirkiness webOS goes through. If your looking and come across one you'll find them very cheap nowadays. Heck the sprint pres are going for 25 bucks I Ca
    n't imagine pixi being any more. You'll be happy with a webOS. I moved from an instinct on sprint. I've got every damn webOS product now! Damnit. except the pre3. Even a few backups for the just in case moments.
    I HAVE A PIXI, PLEASE DON"T DO THIS to YOURSELF!
    GET A VEER OF PRE! I CAN BARELY PLAY 3d GAMES ON THIS THING!
    I ALWAYS NEED HELP FOR SOMETHING!
    tovivekmishra likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by adl27 View Post
    Is it unwise to buy a Pixi to use on Sprint?

I have a HTC Hero that is dying, and I am at the end of my contract but do not want to upgrade until the new iphone comes out later this year. When we got our phones 2 years ago, I always regretted not getting the Pixi.

I am not interested/not savy enough in trying to customize the phone. I would mainly use it for calls, texting, Facebook, and checking email.

With all of this in mind, would the Pixi be an okay and functional phone to last another 7 to 8 months?
    The Pixi has a nice clickable keyboard for texting.
    Pixi+ is perfectly fine. I've had 0 issues playing "3d games" on it.
    Do yourself a favour and overclock it though, it is rather paltry hardware.
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    I got one as a free replacement after my Pre- broke. I really grew to like it. It's the 'little-smartphone-that-could'. The screen is small, but protofa is right about the keyboard.

Get the Pixi. Then, when you fall in love with webOS, we'll get you out of this delusion about getting an eye-Phone!
    The Pixi has good points and bad points.

The worst point is that they made the text way too small - unless you have perfect vision. Text messaging is fantastic using the keyboard - but terrible if you actually want to see what you are typing. The previous Palm software had bigger text and the ability to change between 2 sizes. For all they added to WebOS, they missed the boat by a mile on a few things.

The phone is nice. The battery lasts. The touchscreen can get dodgy in that scrolling will open things up that you did not intend to open.

Email client is good. Browser is good. Facebook integration is lousy. Even the app won't display facebook photos.

Not a bad interim phone. It does lag sometimes opening or closing apps or getting them to respond. That's a bit frustrating.

I don't know if I agree with others that you will fall in love with WebOS by having a Pixi but it's interesting to see what they found important what what the didn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by rnld View Post
    The Pixi has good points and bad points.

The worst point is that they made the text way too small - unless you have perfect vision. Text messaging is fantastic using the keyboard - but terrible if you actually want to see what you are typing. The previous Palm software had bigger text and the ability to change between 2 sizes. For all they added to WebOS, they missed the boat by a mile on a few things.

The phone is nice. The battery lasts. The touchscreen can get dodgy in that scrolling will open things up that you did not intend to open.

Email client is good. Browser is good. Facebook integration is lousy. Even the app won't display facebook photos.

Not a bad interim phone. It does lag sometimes opening or closing apps or getting them to respond. That's a bit frustrating.

I don't know if I agree with others that you will fall in love with WebOS by having a Pixi but it's interesting to see what they found important what what the didn't.
    Facebook issue use https disable can get this problem solve or not??
    Quote Originally Posted by palmaxpc View Post
    Facebook issue use https disable can get this problem solve or not??
    If the app doesn't work correctly, I am not going to change my global facebook settings for a weak app.
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    bought one brand new on ebay for $38. It's a pretty solid device, very small solid and compact. May be a bit slow at times but for the most part I've always found it to be very responsive. Have always thought highly of the browser as well. Plus once you get preware going, it becomes like a midlevel phone by today's standards (which isn't bad)
    Global Posts
    1,068 Global Posts
    I think the biggest benefit of picking up a Palm Pixi/Palm Pixi Plus is that you could pick it up for under $50 new on Amazon or eBay. (I know I've looked for a VZW Palm Pixi Plus on both Amazon and eBay and they were available for under $40 new at both sites.) If you're okay with a very small screen smartphone and really like webOS, I say go for it.

Other notable devices:
    Windows laptops: Asus VivoBook X202E (Windows 8), HP Pavilion g4-1215dx (Windows 7)
    Chromebooks: Samsung Chromebook XE303
    Quote Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
    I think the biggest benefit of picking up a Palm Pixi/Palm Pixi Plus is that you could pick it up for under $50 new on Amazon or eBay. (I know I've looked for a VZW Palm Pixi Plus on both Amazon and eBay and they were available for under $40 new at both sites.) If you're okay with a very small screen smartphone and really like webOS, I say go for it.
    I agree with this. If it's just for 6months or so get a used Pre- from a legit seller on ebay or craigslist.

Pre- over pixi:
    Pre has a better camera
    Pre has better kernels
    Pre has bigger screen
    Pre can be +'d if you stick with it
    Pre- comms board can go into Pre2 when you decide how awesome webos is

No but seriously, used pre- hands down over Pixi if you ask me.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiquitabiddle View Post
    I HAVE A PIXI, PLEASE DON"T DO THIS to YOURSELF!
    GET A VEER OF PRE! I CAN BARELY PLAY 3d GAMES ON THIS THING!
    I ALWAYS NEED HELP FOR SOMETHING!
    i had pixi and now m having pre2 and i must say keyboard in pixi was lot better than my pre2 ..but hardware sucks and have also read many places in forum that veer keyboard is very good next only to PRE3 so IMO u shud get veer , cheap and best option..
    hope this helps
    Global Posts
    1,068 Global Posts
    I'm on Verizon, but wasn't the HP Veer only released on AT&T in the U.S.?

Other notable devices:
    Windows laptops: Asus VivoBook X202E (Windows 8), HP Pavilion g4-1215dx (Windows 7)
    Chromebooks: Samsung Chromebook XE303