1.    #1  
    Hi guys is there anyone using skype on a pixi plus? If so is there a howto? From what I read it looks like I would have to install webos 2 or higher? It looks like the pixi dosent like webos 2 very well? Thanks.
  2.    #2  
    bump
    Skype is 2.0.1 or higher. 2.2.4 has it integrated.
    Not sure if there's been any work on 2.2.4 on pixi. None that i've read.
    Quote Originally Posted by NickVTPre View Post
    Skype is 2.0.1 or higher. 2.2.4 has it integrated.
    Not sure if there's been any work on 2.2.4 on pixi. None that i've read.
    If someone has a Verizon pixi plus, has webOS 2.1.0, could extract skyped and Skype app from the Verizon webOS 2.1.0 build 124, this might work... That would only work over Verizon's network... to do this one would need to copy over the ARM7 IPKS from the carrier...

skyped_1.0-28.3_armv7.ipk
    com.skype.app.skypesearchdirectory_1.0-13_armv7.ipk
    copy them to your usb drive.
    then use novaterm

modify your /etc/ipkg/arch.conf file (backup the original first, add the armv7 below)

arch all 1
    arch any 6
    arch noarch 11
    arch arm 16
    arch armv6 21
    arch armv7 21
    arch pixie 26

ipkg install /media/internal/skyped_1.0-28.3_armv7.ipk
    ipkg install /media/internal/com.skype.app.skypesearchdirectory_1.0-13_armv7.ipk

reboot...

now goto accounts, add Skype mobile account, does it work... I have no idea...

I also tried the WiFi version in webOS 2.2.4 with the Skype modules but it can't log in...
    as my pixi is not activated I can't test the older version, I get an Unknown Error as I am not on the Verizon network this is normal...
    Last edited by John Steffes; 01/22/2012 at 09:44 AM.
    how I can to help you?
    I have activated Pixi+ with super-build Verizon...
    Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
    If someone has a Verizon pixi plus, has webOS 2.1.0, could extract skyped and Skype app from the Verizon webOS 2.1.0 build 124, this might work... That would only work over Verizon's network... to do this one would need to copy over the ARM7 IPKS from the carrier...

copy them to your usb drive.
    then use novaterm

modify your /etc/ipkg/arch.conf file (backup the original first, add the armv7 below)

arch all 1
    arch any 6
    arch noarch 11
    arch arm 16
    arch armv6 21
    arch armv7 21
    arch pixie 26

ipkg install /media/internal/com.skype.app.skypesearchdirectory_1.0-13_armv7.ipk

reboot...

I also tried the WiFi version in webOS 2.2.4 with the Skype modules but it can't log in...
    as my pixi is not activated I can't test the older version, I get an Unknown Error as I am not on the Verizon network this is normal...
    I'm a Verizon Wireless Pixi+ user, that hopes that someday we could have Skype integrated into our old legacy devices which still uses WebOS 1.4.5.1 software. Willing to be help to make this possible soon, but needs a set of specific instructions like in English terms(in other words without the computer hack lingo) to make this easily installable in my Palm Pixi phone. If these set of steps taken to place it into Pixi, could it also be use to chat and make mobile calls on skype as well ?
    Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.
    Quote Originally Posted by eugene300 View Post
    how I can to help you?
    I have activated Pixi+ with super-build Verizon...
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmPixi_User23 View Post
    I'm a Verizon Wireless Pixi+ user, that hopes that someday we could have Skype integrated into our old legacy devices which still uses WebOS 1.4.5.1 software. Willing to be help to make this possible soon, but needs a set of specific instructions like in English terms(in other words without the computer hack lingo) to make this easily installable in my Palm Pixi phone. If these set of steps taken to place it into Pixi, could it also be use to chat and make mobile calls on skype as well ?
    If it was easy...

Go to the web site

WebOS Doctor Versions - WebOS Internals

Download the Verizon Pre2 webOS 2.1.0 build 124...

Now it is a fancy zip file rename the JAR to ZIP and extract...

Under resources there is a tar called verizon.tar

Untar that file...

You need webOS 2.1.0 to do this...

http://forums.webosnation.com/palm-p...-pixiplus.html

Now after you have webOS 2.1.0 and have the following files:

FYI there is also an older version of this in webOS 2.0.1:
    skyped_1.0-27.5_armv7.ipk
    com.skype.app.skypesearchdirectory_1.0-12_armv7.ipk

You need to use your PixiPlus as a USB drive and copy them to your usb drive.

Then use novaterm...

If you have never used novaterm, you can also use Internalz Pro (from Preware)...

I recommend using novaterm because one can make a backup copy easy...

Modify your /etc/ipkg/arch.conf file (backup the original first, add the armv7 below)

arch all 1
    arch any 6
    arch noarch 11
    arch arm 16
    arch armv6 21
    arch armv7 21
    arch pixie 26

Without the Armv7 part it will not allow the IPK to install...

Now use novaterm or Internalz Pro (browse to /media/internal) and install the IPKs...

reboot...

Now as my PixiPlus is a MP3 player and I am not connected to my carrier (Verizon) with any plan, I can not test this....

Again, I assume this will fail as the Skype Damon is most likely written for a ARMV7 device. But then I thought the Classic Bits were too (copied in Super PixiPlus webOS 2.1.0) and Classic works fine.

Hey if you get stuck let me know, not sure how more like in English terms I can put it.

As there is really tons of information on using Preware/Internalz/Novaterm...

Now as for webOS 1.4.5.1 this may never work for that, as Skype was written for webOS 2.1.0 not for webOS 1.4.5.1 so I assume the required binary parts would not be there...

But as I do not have an active plan on Verizon I could never test. (Also I have never ran webOS 1.4.5.1), my device came shipped with webOS 1.4.0 (and I updated to webOS 2.1.0 right from the start).

FYI I know these work on the Pre2/PrePlus on Verizon as my PrePlus was running webOS 2.1.0 (for a long time) with the webOS 2.0.1 version and I upgraded to webOS 2.1.0 version when it was released, so I know there are no checks for device name although there might be for device type (Armv7)?
    Last edited by John Steffes; 04/15/2012 at 08:25 PM.
    strange,

arch.conf modify correct

skyped_1.0-28.3_armv7.ipk and com.skype.app.skypesearchdirectory_1.0-13_armv7.ipk are installed,

but in accounts and launcher haven't skype
    strange,

arch.conf modify correct

skyped_1.0-28.3_armv7.ipk and com.skype.app.skypesearchdirectory_1.0-13_armv7.ipk are installed,

but in accounts and launcher haven't skype
    If you do not see in the Accounts App as Skype mobile, then it did not install correctly...

FYI there is no launcher app for Skype mobile it does not work that way...

Did you install via ipkg?

if you did do a ipkg list
    skyped - 1.0-28.3 - Skype service
    com.skype.app.skypesearchdirectory - 1.0-13 - Skype Directory Search

If you did it via internalz pro it might not install to the root (it must install to root), if it installs in the crypto app location it will not work.
    Last edited by John Steffes; 04/17/2012 at 07:23 PM.
    understood, I installed via internalz, will try via ipkg
    installed correct, don't login ((
  12.    #12  
    installed correct, don't login ((
    What happens when you try to login?
    I have used skype on pixi plus but my experience was not very pleasant one at all. I have switched to Axvoice now. It had some configuration issues in the beginning but now it is working fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmerlin View Post
    What happens when you try to login?
    nothing interesting:

login
    waiting
    waiting
    waiting
    waiting
    waiting
    waiting
    waiting
    waiting