1.    #1  
    My DroidX is broken, but usual story: I'm not up for a discounted phone for 5 mos. So I picked up a Pixi+ for 40 bucks to use until then. I wanted something a little simpler, but not too simple like a basic phone.

Count me as another "new, accidental" user who previously gave little thought to WebOS, now disappointed that it's barely hanging on. I only picked up the Pixi+ because of my situation, and I thought it would just be neat to try something different for the time being. Wow, neat and intuitive interface. While the phone obviously can't do what the DroidX does by way of features and apps, in some ways I like this one better (Disclaimer: the Homebrew patches help to make it so, otherwise, not as much). And that for an old, slow phone.

To be honest, I never cared much for Android widgets (most Android users really like them). I much prefer this card-system and ease-of-use via swipe. I like the launcher and icons better than the iPhone setup (never had the iPhone to compare other features, though). The DroidX (at least *my* DroidX) was constantly buggy and frustrating. I had to correct almost every individual word on the touch-screen keyboard (which was probably the most frustrating thing of all for me).

I never would have gotten the Pixi had my phone not broken because it looks cheap and ugly in the pictures. But now that I have it, the keyboard and form factor are great, other than maybe the smallish screen. So even with an older phone and less features, I find that I like the phone better. I know -- I'm stupid, but I just like the intuitive interface, and it's attractive.

There are a few things I can't get to work as I'd like. The AIM simply won't log in (it's probably outdated). The music skips a little too frequently due to the slow processor (even overclocked). And I can't get Navi to work for me. But other things are better. The email is way better. Notifications -- better. I like the browser experience better simply because of the swipe and bookmarks -- it's just easy. The calendar is better. List/note apps and other things are just more convenient. Everything is "right there" with no complications. Even my Gmail contacts seem to link better. With the Homebrew patches, this thing holds its own even with an old OS / phone.

It's too bad WebOS wasn't bought by a company that could support it, or at least incorporate it into its current ecosystem.
    Quote Originally Posted by nc_pixi View Post
    I never would have gotten the Pixi had my phone not broken because it looks cheap and ugly in the pictures. But now that I have it, the keyboard and form factor are great, other than maybe the smallish screen. So even with an older phone and less features, I find that I like the phone better. I know -- I'm stupid, but I just like the intuitive interface, and it's attractive.

There are a few things I can't get to work as I'd like. The AIM simply won't log in (it's probably outdated). The music skips a little too frequently due to the slow processor (even overclocked). And I can't get Navi to work for me. But other things are better. The email is way better. Notifications -- better. I like the browser experience better simply because of the swipe and bookmarks -- it's just easy. The calendar is better. List/note apps and other things are just more convenient. Everything is "right there" with no complications. Even my Gmail contacts seem to link better. With the Homebrew patches, this thing holds its own even with an old OS / phone.
    Try greg_roll's excellent Messaging plugins, should fix your AIM issue.

Messaging Plugins (Add more IM options to your Pre)

Also for the music issue, look for the log muffling patches in Preware. It helped a lot with my Pre 3 issues earlier.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Meta doctor to 2.1!!!! Must have for any WebOS user!
    If you like small, consider the Veer, a pretty cool phone, price on ebay probably not too bad. You can patch/upgrade it to the latest firmware with some caveats.

ps nice review. There's some radiologist out at a CA univ (Stanford?) that uses the pixi for his MRI work, really likes the phone.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Try greg_roll's excellent Messaging plugins, should fix your AIM issue.

Also for the music issue, look for the log muffling patches in Preware. It helped a lot with my Pre 3 issues earlier.

Toni,

I scoured the patches in Preware several times and really only found one log fixer, and it didn't help the skipping. Are there others somewhere else? Maybe I misunderstood some of the descriptions, but I didn't really see anything else.

I tried the messaging plugins as well, but the 2nd one errored saying I didn't have the right associations or prereqs or something like that. I installed everything in the order listed.

Thanks for the suggestions, though.

"If you like small, consider the Veer, a pretty cool phone, price on ebay probably not too bad. You can patch/upgrade it to the latest firmware with some caveats."

Yeah, I probably would have liked the Veer even better, but now that I have the Pixi+ I'll likely just use it until my contract runs out. I didn't know about the Veer before a few days ago.

Edit: I'm also on Verizon ... was Veer only for GSM?
    Last edited by nc_pixi; 12/28/2011 at 07:46 PM.